Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile calls out Verizon's tiny 5G network

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought T-Mobile started this pissing match with their super bowl ad and Verizon has simply been responding back.
    Yup, TMO started it. And VZ responded with with examples of experience on both networks (not at the stadium obviously).. and VZ came out on top.

I think TMO has a ton of potential, especially now that they are getting the badly needed spectrum for 5G, a gold mine of it + continuous spectrum to that they already have, they just have to execute.

So I think they should lay off the attacks which cost money, and invest in the network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Are you sure? I mean, both LTE and 5g NR are ultimately using 180khz wide resource blocks; so I'm not sure why there'd be a significant difference in relative efficiency between LTE and 5G NR based on running a 5, 10, 15, or 20mhz channel. I'm not saying you're wrong, this whole thing is pretty complicated, it just sounds a tad suspect to me.

That said... good on T-Mo. It's early for anyone to be comparing their 5G networks; but if VZW's going to start it by commenting on T-Mo's 5G speeds it is only fair for T-Mo to comment on VZW's very limited 5G coverage area.
    But at this point, it is like the USA and China bickering over the size of their moon colonies.

Feedback Score
    This map has been on Ookla at least a month. Don't know how accurate it is, but by just reading it for what it is, the map makes it look like T-Mobile has 5G operational in "rural" central PA. State College is there in the center of the map.

This map makes it look like T-Mobile is further along than many might think.

Name:  Screenshot_2020-02-29 Ookla 5G Map - Tracking 5G Network Rollouts Around the World.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  51.5 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Are you sure? I mean, both LTE and 5g NR are ultimately using 180khz wide resource blocks; so I'm not sure why there'd be a significant difference in relative efficiency between LTE and 5G NR based on running a 5, 10, 15, or 20mhz channel. I'm not saying you're wrong, this whole thing is pretty complicated, it just sounds a tad suspect to me.

That said... good on T-Mo. It's early for anyone to be comparing their 5G networks; but if VZW's going to start it by commenting on T-Mo's 5G speeds it is only fair for T-Mo to comment on VZW's very limited 5G coverage area.
    I’m quoting Huawei, who is generally seen as the best NR vendor.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondLink View Post
    So I think they should lay off the attacks which cost money, and invest in the network.
    Since you're a Verizon supporter, I'm not surprised you would present such an opinion. However, T-Mobile isn't going to stop shining a light on Verizon's tiny, tiny 5G network. T-Mobile is making it known just how small it is. And it's not that it's small in area, when one is in the area, there's only a connection rate of 6%.

It's a complete joke.

and VZ came out on top
    Top of what? Top of the list for making dumb claims?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Since you're a Verizon supporter, I'm not surprised you would present such an opinion. However, T-Mobile isn't going to stop shining a light on Verizon's tiny, tiny 5G network. T-Mobile is making it known just how small it is. And it's not that it's small in area, when one is in the area, there's only a connection rate of 6%.
    I’m not a “supporter” of Verizon. I had TMO previously, as well as ATT so I know how they stack up against each other. I say again, TMO has made tremendous strides, they are definitely much better than before, but they are definitely not at Verizon’s level yet.

This is why I keep saying they should stop the attacks (not saying they should not air commercials to win customers) and actually invest in the network so that they can finally catch up and give VZ a run for their money. Commercials cost money, and it’s just money better utilized in network investment.

It’s true Verizon 5G is not like TMO 5G, but Verizon has Band 5 at their disposal, which I would expect them to launch their low band 5G on. DSS also is around the corner.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought T-Mobile started this pissing match with their super bowl ad and Verizon has simply been responding back.
    So are you ignoring taunting Verizon TV Ads that Say Something like “ There is 5G and 5G but Verizon is 5G Done Right”? Really who cares who started it since all three networks have been attacking each other for years. Verizon is a Player at attacking their competition but Verizon is not a victim since everyone does it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondLink View Post
    This is why I keep saying they should stop the attacks (not saying they should not air commercials to win customers) and actually invest in the network
    The entire Sprint merger is about an investment in their network. Once the merger is finalized, they are going to be working like mad to combine the network resources into a large improved network.

But they are still going to have Verizon and its customers in their sights and as they seek to keep chip away at Verizon's market share. Verizon may want T-Mobile to stop running the ads, but I don't foresee T-Mobile stopping anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    So are you ignoring taunting Verizon TV Ads that Say Something like “ There is 5G and 5G but Verizon is 5G Done Right”? Really who cares who started it since all three networks have been attacking each other for years. Verizon is a Player at attacking their competition but Verizon is not a victim since everyone does it.
    Like I said, I could be wrong, lol. I don’t really pay much attention to these commercials cause I’m already happy with my provider and not planning on switching anytime soon. As I said somewhere before, all this is just a pissing contest amongst the CEOs and at the end of the day as long as it works, who cares.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    None of the carriers are stupid when it comes to marketing. They all pick their own stat that looks best for them and market that particular point to gain new subs.

T-Mo can claim to have the biggest 5G network and thats great but what does that matter if I walk into a building and loose all service.

ATT can claim the fastest network but does that matter when I hit an area of no service

Verizon can claim to have the largest and most reliable network and fastest 5G but does that matter when I’m in an area with severe congestion and can’t pull up a simple web page.

My point is that each carriers goals is to get you focused on a particular stat on a national level to switch even though that stat doesn’t matter to you on a local level. The only thing that matters is how well the service works for you in your area. Every market is different and carrier strength greatly varies from market to market. Just pick what carrier works best for you and has the least cons and go with it.

IMO sprint is pretty crappy at a lot of things but the whole “100% money back total satisfaction guarantee” (and T-Mo with its test drive) is actually pretty smart. The majority of every day regular cell users will find their networks satisfactory to meet their needs. People in this forum need to remember that for the most part we are the minority (highly critical and heavy cell users) but the majority of cell users just wanna make calls, send texts, browse FB, watch videos, or stream music.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    None of the carriers are stupid when it comes to marketing. They all pick their own stat that looks best for them and market that particular point to gain new subs.

T-Mo can claim to have the biggest 5G network and thats great but what does that matter if I walk into a building and loose all service.

ATT can claim the fastest network but does that matter when I hit an area of no service

Verizon can claim to have the largest and most reliable network and fastest 5G but does that matter when I’m in an area with severe congestion and can’t pull up a simple web page.

My point is that each carriers goals is to get you focused on a particular stat on a national level to switch even though that stat doesn’t matter to you on a local level. The only thing that matters is how well the service works for you in your area. Every market is different and carrier strength greatly varies from market to market. Just pick what carrier works best for you and has the least cons and go with it.

IMO sprint is pretty crappy at a lot of things but the whole “100% money back total satisfaction guarantee” (and T-Mo with its test drive) is actually pretty smart. The majority of every day regular cell users will find their networks satisfactory to meet their needs. People in this forum need to remember that for the most part we are the minority (highly critical and heavy cell users) but the majority of cell users just wanna make calls, send texts, browse FB, watch videos, or stream music.

Well I fired AT&T when I waked into my house not once but twice after they bought Cingular that refused to provide service that Cingular provided that still is useless today with AT&T. Not just for data but for voice calls. I use to call AT&T twice a month begging for a signal booster that they wanted me to pay them over $200 for. Then AT&T tried to force me to pay them over $300 for moving my service to MetroPCS that worked inside my home. I had a paid in full receipt from a local AT&T sales center and they were pissed that I let AT$T about 6 hours before midnight as my two year AT&T contract ended. They never let me unlock my iPhone 4 that forced me to buy a new phone. AT&T Customers Services was real tough on the phone threatening to destroying my credit until I hired a Lawyer. Even after they dropped the$300 AT&T continued to sell my phone number till I hired my lawyer for the 2nd time. AT&T will never get another penny from me since I hate them to the Bone on how they treated a customers of over 8 years total. I lost more money paying my lawyer than the $300 AT&T wanted but they foiled like a tent after we filed a lawsuit with the state of Florida. My lawyer said I would never get a penny from them for the abuse they gave me.

Well back to your statement. AT$T just when up to 80 cities with Low band 5G. https://www.droid-life.com/2020/03/0...er-22-markets/. Verizon 5G is almost unusable at only 6% connect rates for customers with 5G mmWave phones even when you are in Verizon’s mmWave 5G areas that is the smaller than even Sprint’s 5G coverage that T-Mobile is about to acquire. That will make The New T-Mobile a very fast and robust 5G service that customers can even connect to.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 03-04-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Well AT$T just when up to 80 cities with Low band 5G. https://www.droid-life.com/2020/03/0...er-22-markets/. Verizon 5G is almost unusable at only 6% connect rates for customers with 5G mmWave phones even when you are in Verizon’s mmWave 5G areas that is the smaller than even Sprint’s 5G coverage that T-Mobile is about to acquire. That will make The New T-Mobile a very fast and robust 5G service that customers can even connect to.
    I think you missed my point.

So what if AT&T lit up more low band 5G on a national level If I don’t have a 5G phone, live in one of those local level markets, or low band 5G isn’t faster and more reliable than 4G then it doesn’t matter to me. What am I supposed to switch to a different carrier because for a feature that I don’t have on my phone for a city that I don’t live in? But AT&T’s marketing sure makes customers think so because that’s their job to get more subs.

And Yes, we get it you think that Verizon mmWave 5G is unusable but where it does work it’s very fast and will continue to grow just like T-Mo. If your argument is for how fast T-Mo 5G will be in the future then the same can be said for Verizon if they are able to buy large chunks of CBRS licensed spectrum or use the CBRS public spectrum for 5G.

I’m not disagreeing that T-Mo won’t be in an excellent position for robust 5G in the future but they aren’t there yet and the average user isn’t going to switch carrier now for something available in the future.

In the end the fact that all carriers are pushing 5G in some way is great for the consumer but at the end of the day it still comes down to what works best for the individual user on the local level not some stat on a national level.

Device(s)
    Moto X4 & G7; Pixel 3a & 4xl; Nexus 5x; IPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    I wish T-Mobile’s actual geographic coverage was as good as their trolling. All the carriers will get there eventually. None are there right now.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Feedback Score
    JoeInPA, Peterfield, well said.
    There’s definitely tangible benefits to what 5G can offer regarding smart cities* and fixed home internet**, but it’s gonna take time and patience to roll it out and optimize for the best customer experience.
    Speaking of, just came across this article about misleading 5G icons. https://www.pcmag.com/news/t-mobile-...ung-galaxy-s20

* https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-5g...ies-a-reality/
    * https://www.techradar.com/news/5g-an...u-need-to-know
    ** https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...d-wireless-5g/

About 5G https://www.techradar.com/news/what-...u-need-to-know

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Maybe, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Keep seeing #5GThatWorks- did T-Mobile forget about 4G?

Example 1: outside of wawa last night - T-Mobile: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/5808957579 VS AT&T: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/3733792071

Example 2: in the hood - T-Mobile: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/5771184883 VS AT&T: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/3713200265

Think I’m just going to drop my line on T-Mobile. Out of ~350 tests I’ve found one tower that was faster than AT&T by 10 Mbps. And at work I’ve moved buildings and only Verizon works being there’s a tower right out front. No point in paying for 3 phone bills.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast