Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Calyx: Is this a good deal?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smokieunc View Post
    I just signed up with ConnectAll
    What are the income limits to qualify?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Calyx is interesting because you don't have to qualify as low income. It looks like their fastest hotspot is their Mifi 8000:
    Funny thing is their Mifi 8000 is showing as a Sprint device, while their Coolpad Surf is showing as a T-Mobile device. So they must be using another supplier for the T-Mobile service, as Mobile Citizen only uses Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Funny thing is their Mifi 8000 is showing as a Sprint device, while their Coolpad Surf is showing as a T-Mobile device. So they must be using another supplier for the T-Mobile service, as Mobile Citizen only uses Sprint.
    The mifi 8000 is really good. I have two lines with Sprint on them. I’m thinking about also using Calyx since AT&T closed down their iPad unlimited plans mostly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    I'm concerned how the Sprint merger will affect the agreements with Mobile Citizen. I'm not seeing any news. Anyone else?
    There are a bunch of issues with the merger that are going to take a good amount of time to straighten out. It's really hard to speculate on how long there will be a Sprint. These partnerships with the non-profits would not be a high priority with the New T-Mobile, considering all the rest of what they have to do.

Unless T-Mobile incorporates a lot of Sprint coverage in the merged company, I would not be interested. Sprint coverage is fairly good in my area, but T-Mobile is pretty bad.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    ..... These partnerships with the non-profits would not be a high priority with the New T-Mobile, ......
    They better be high priority as their band-41 licenses in some key markets are dependent on them. My question is if the Mobile Citizen ISP is going to undergo another technology crisis when T-Mobile converts band-41 from LTE to 5G NR, like they did during the conversion from WiMAX to LTE?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    They better be high priority as their band-41 licenses in some key markets are dependent on them.
    I'm curious about who has the upper hand in these negotiations. I have only the vaguest idea of how the suit proceeded when Sprint tried to force the issue in the WiMax conversion fiasco. The Band 41 treasure trove of spectrum was the prize for T-Mobile in the merger so TMO is foolish if they are not certain of their standing to keep all the B41 spectrum.

Feedback Score
    I am on my 3rd year with Calyx. Omni's on the roof, sim in a router/modem from ltefix.com. Works great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrkalot View Post
    I am on my 3rd year with Calyx. Omni's on the roof, sim in a router/modem from ltefix.com. Works great.
    So it’s $600 for the first year and $500 after that going forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    I'm curious about who has the upper hand in these negotiations........
    https://www.vox.com/2015/11/7/116204...er-deactivates

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    So it’s $600 for the first year and $500 after that going forward?

Yes, if you want the Mifi 8000. (It appears the device is included in that first year fee.)

If you want the Coolpad that appears to be $500 for the first year and $400 going forward.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Yes, if you want the Mifi 8000. (It appears the device is included in that first year fee.)

If you want the Coolpad that appears to be $500 for the first year and $400 going forward.

And unless you really need the mobility of a hotspot I would highly suggest that people do what user @wrkalot said and build their own router with openwrt and a LTE modem card. I did this a while ago and it has been much more stable then the hotspots. Even more importantly to me it gives you more options like locking to specific bands if you need to. and more antenna options.

Another option is to use a LTE modem in a usb enclosure and attaching it via usb to an openwrt router, if you don't want to buy another router.

I guess what I'm saying is its not worth the extra money for the Mifi, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by radec View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is its not worth the extra money for the Mifi, IMHO.

Good points.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I'm also a client of Mobile Citizen (through a reseller). I'm concerned how the Sprint merger will affect the agreements with Mobile Citizen. I'm not seeing any news. Anyone else?
    I read a while ago that T-Mo had no intention of messing with the Mobile Citizen type agreements...

1) Why rock the boat? It's exactly the kind of thing that's good PR for T-Mo to keep and bad PR to get rid of.

2) My understanding is, years back Sprint THOUGHT they were going to just wrap up the Clearwire WiMax network, roll out LTE on the same spectrum, and tell Mobile Citizen etc. "tough luck, the agreement was for WiMax service." Sprint got a rude surprise when Mobile Citizen etc. pointed out they OWNED a bunch of the 2.5ghz spectrum and had leased it out to Clearwire, and felt no need to continue leasing it to Sprint if they were not going to get anything to show for it. So for this reason as well, I would see T-Mo continuing these agreements.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    ......So for this reason as well, I would see T-Mo continuing these agreements.
    The interesting thing is that Mobile Citizen forced Sprint to keep WiMax going on band 41 until they had a chance to replace their customers' access devices. This brings into question T-Mobile's ability to just shut down band-41 LTE and convert it all to 5G NR. I've seen nothing announced about replacement of Mobile Citizen's devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The interesting thing is that Mobile Citizen forced Sprint to keep WiMax going on band 41 until they had a chance to replace their customers' access devices. This brings into question T-Mobile's ability to just shut down band-41 LTE and convert it all to 5G NR. I've seen nothing announced about replacement of Mobile Citizen's devices.
    There's so much band 41 that you could easily keep LTE going for Mobile Citizen and for those with Sprint B41 devices and still have plenty for 5G NR. I think Sprint just didn't want to keep the WiMax going for obvious reasons. But it shouldn't be a big deal for LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I read a while ago that T-Mo had no intention of messing with the Mobile Citizen type agreements...

1) Why rock the boat? It's exactly the kind of thing that's good PR for T-Mo to keep and bad PR to get rid of.
    I totally agree. It's bad PR to fight this when you want good PR. Be the hero and not the villain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast