Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which of the current Cricket branded phones have the best radio / antenna ?

Feedback Score

Which of the current Cricket branded phones have the best radio / antenna ?

I want to add a person to my group plan who will mostly use the phone in a very weak ATT signal area. I want to purchase one of the phones from the current port in deals (list below). Which one(s) have the best radio/antenna ? - Thanks

iPhone 7

LG Stylo 5

Samsung Galaxy A10e

Moto G7 Supra

LG Escape® Plus

Nokia 3.1C
    Last edited by bamx2; 02-27-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    You're probably not going to like my answer, but it's the cheaper Moto g5 cruise.

To explain, last summer, apparently my near by and long used at t tower changed and my formerly for years great reception went to virtually no signal. I was then using a G7 power/supra and still happily the g7 with my metro line which operates from that same tower.

I'd gotten a free cruise for a backup, and decided just to try it and surprising it got enough signal to work actually quite well. Actually bought a second one which had equally good reception.

I just missed the great battery life of the g7 power and other features of the g7. I complained, *****ed etc to cricket/Att to no avail and finally just ported my personal number to visible, with using both their g7 and budget zte A7. Visible is not perfect but has generally good reception in more locations (may have a so called priority issue in some areas, at peak times) but the unlimited free hotspot is wonderful.

I'd posted g5 cruise reception questions here and else where, and got general agreement as to it's superior reception, over my Moto g7 and,lg stylo 4.
    Also had good reception with an old zte blade v8 pro.

I have no experience with I phones as I rarely hear they are exceptional. A general Google search brings up an article indicating some of the high dollar Samsungs are the best, dunno.

Please advise what you discover, but personally, I'm loving visible coverage. Their customer service leaves something to be desired, but at $25 party rates, hard to beat.b to

Feedback Score
    This one does

Name:  pjimage-26.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  36.2 KB

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Yep, stay away from anything beyond the Moto 5 series if you are dealing with edge of cell areas. The iPhone 7 is not a good choice either as it has a weak radio & the mic is crappy.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Yep, stay away from anything beyond the Moto 5 series if you are dealing with edge of cell areas. The iPhone 7 is not a good choice either as it has a weak radio & the mic is crappy.
    Thanks for your plainly stated info. I wish I'd had it and my signal issues began. With cricket, at the time, if been very happy with whatever the current Moto was at the time, and thought it had just gone bad, ask for and got an warrantty replacement, except they'd ran out of which ever phone it was, and substituted an upgraded lg⁴, which didn't help.

In my area there appeared to be an overall system degradation with Att, dunno, but just know I suddenly had area wide reception issues, where I'd never had issues, but absolutely horrible at my house, such is in site of the nearest Att tower. Only the cruise worked, of the ones I tried.

What's the issue with the newer motos, as I like the g7 with my other carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I agree. I'm now on At&t Prepaid and spend a decent amount of time in At&t fringe areas. I recently sold my G7 and both my G7 Powers because of the weak antennas. The difference was amazing compared to my Huawei Mate SE, ZTE V8 Pro, Moto Z3 Play and Moto E6 which all could hold a decent signal. The Huawei pulls the best At&t signal. I really miss the Power/Supra because of that awesome battery but the poor reception was driving me insane. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the other phones on the OP's list.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g7...S/td-p/4422503

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 4 XL, iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I would have to agree with the comments on the moto phones. I have the Moto G7 and it couldn't even get a signal in any of the 4 airports I visited over winter break and just in general was really bad.

So yea anything that is in the G7 line stay away from them cause its just not as good as the older motos.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity Double Play with 140+ channels and 200 Meg Per Second Internet.

Landline: Google Voice

Mobile Entertainment: Verizon Prepaid as my Primary, Sprint as my secondary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    You're probably not going to like my answer, but it's the cheaper Moto g5 cruise.

To explain, last summer, apparently my near by and long used at t tower changed and my formerly for years great reception went to virtually no signal. I was then using a G7 power/supra and still happily the g7 with my metro line which operates from that same tower.

I'd gotten a free cruise for a backup, and decided just to try it and surprising it got enough signal to work actually quite well. Actually bought a second one which had equally good reception.

I just missed the great battery life of the g7 power and other features of the g7. I complained, *****ed etc to cricket/Att to no avail and finally just ported my personal number to visible, with using both their g7 and budget zte A7. Visible is not perfect but has generally good reception in more locations (may have a so called priority issue in some areas, at peak times) but the unlimited free hotspot is wonderful.

I'd posted g5 cruise reception questions here and else where, and got general agreement as to it's superior reception, over my Moto g7 and,lg stylo 4.
    Also had good reception with an old zte blade v8 pro.

I have no experience with I phones as I rarely hear they are exceptional. A general Google search brings up an article indicating some of the high dollar Samsungs are the best, dunno.

Please advise what you discover, but personally, I'm loving visible coverage. Their customer service leaves something to be desired, but at $25 party rates, hard to beat.b to
    I used one for for some time. It's absolute garbage. S8 line kills it. Nokia have typically gave the best performance.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all for the feedback so far. I am sort of surprised that the iPhone 7 falls in the weak reception category. I would have thought that they better were engineered in all areas reflected by the premium price.
    Last edited by bamx2; 03-04-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    Thanks to all for the feedback so far. I am sort of surprised that the Iphone 7 falls in the weak reception category. I would have thought that they better were engineered in all areas reflected by the premium price.
    The iPhone 7 certainly does not do as well on VoLTE. The uplink is problematic in marginal signal areas.

The good news is that the iPhone 11 series seems to work much better than previous models from what I can tell. My sister moved up to the 11 Pro Max from the 10 & I haven't noticed that annoying garbled audio like I used to.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    I used one for for some time. It's absolute garbage. S8 line kills it. Nokia have typically gave the best performance.
    Which one is garbage? Just curious.

Feedback Score
    There's definitely something wrong with the antennas on Moto/Lenovo phones since Lenovo took over. Just used a new Moto G6 Play for a couple days and it was just as bad as the G7 Power/Supra. What made it even worse is how long it would take to get it's signal back after moving from no coverage back to areas of full coverage. Toggling airplane mode did speed up the process but it's ridiculous since I have other phones that don't even lose coverage in these same areas. At&t Prepaid is my primary sim and it's back in the trusty Huawei Mate SE which has the best antenna of any modern smartphone phone I've ever used.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    There's definitely something wrong with the antennas on Moto/Lenovo phones since Lenovo took over. Just used a new Moto G6 Play for a couple days and it was just as bad as the G7 Power/Supra. What made it even worse is how long it would take to get it's signal back after moving from no coverage back to areas of full coverage. Toggling airplane mode did speed up the process but it's ridiculous since I have other phones that don't even lose coverage in these same areas. At&t Prepaid is my primary sim and it's back in the trusty Huawei Mate SE which has the best antenna of any modern smartphone phone I've ever used.
    Just responding to your comment and I'm no expert, but as I mentioned above, I had reception issues with numerous handsets with cricket, finding the older cheaper e5 to work pretty well. Simultaneously however, I've happily used multiple g7 powers with metro and also visible. I'm not sure but it may be a combination of both the phone and the att network, as I began having reception issues over virtually my entire area of use. Initially it was so bad, and sudden, I thought it was the whatever Moto Supra I had at the time (E3,E5 or whatever) which was great for the first few months. I asked cricket for a warranty replacement, which they readily did, but substituted a lg 4, because my original phone was begin phased out. If anything, it was worse, which was when I tried the e5 cruise, and found out to work. Used for a few months, but wanted the features of the g7, but take never got acceptable reception with two of them, do I moved on to visible, where I'm happy with mostly great reception, better speeds and unlimited hotspot.

Still have one cricket line, which works other good, except at my house.

Feedback Score
    Just responding to your comment and I'm no expert, but as I mentioned above, I had reception issues with numerous handsets with cricket, finding the older cheaper e5 to work pretty well. Simultaneously however, I've happily used multiple g7 powers with metro and also visible. I'm not sure but it may be a combination of both the phone and the att network, as I began having reception issues over virtually my entire area of use. Initially it was so bad, and sudden, I thought it was the whatever Moto Supra I had at the time (E3,E5 or whatever) which was great for the first few months. I asked cricket for a warranty replacement, which they readily did, but substituted a lg 4, because my original phone was begin phased out. If anything, it was worse, which was when I tried the e5 cruise, and found out to work. Used for a few months, but wanted the features of the g7, but take never got acceptable reception with two of them, do I moved on to visible, where I'm happy with mostly great reception, better speeds and unlimited hotspot.

Still have one cricket line, which works other good, except at my house.

My reception test used the exact same sim (At&t) and was in the exact same area (Father's Independent Living Facility) where At&t has poor coverage so they were very accurate. I tried a bunch of phones and found that all the motos really struggled. Tried the E4, G6 Play, G7, G7 Power, Z3 Play and the E6. The E6 pulled the best signal out of the bunch. All the Motos were extremely slow transitioning from no signal back to full signal. My Huawei Mate SE and ZTE Blade V8 Pro never lose reception in this same building even when in the elevator or basement!!!!

I have 3 Visible lines right now from the SWAP deals and, like you, I've found the coverage really good. What's really amazing me is that Verizon must have put up a new tower by my Northern Michigan cabin. I had to switch from Verizon to At&t about 10 years ago because of Verizon's poor coverage at the cabin but now this gives me the option to use Verizon's service again. I might actually port my main line to Visible and join a party. $25.00 per month for Unlimited TT&Data with Hotspot is fantastic!!!!
    Last edited by Fishx65; 03-14-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Feedback Score
    Which one is garbage? Just curious.
    Moto G5. Horrible compared to my Note 4 and subsequent S/Note lines going forward. S7 can be bought for under $10]. Spend the couple extra on a used S8 though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast