Thread: Need honest opinion of the signal inside customer home

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Need honest opinion of the signal inside customer home

Client wants to install network gear inside customer home that uses the ATT LTE network to periodically send data back to headquarters in the background.

If it matters: When using a prepaid ATT SIM on a Moto G6 I tested basic talk/text and it works ok inside home. Streaming music/media buffers a bit.

Name:  Screenshot_20200225-192919.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  42.8 KB

Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    To add clarity: My question is really about whether or not this signal would be, "good enough," to send small data files from the networking equipment back to headquarters once an hour lover the LTE network?

It's not going to be used for smartphone voice/data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Client wants to install network gear inside customer home that uses the ATT LTE network to periodically send data back to headquarters in the background.

If it matters: When using a prepaid ATT SIM on a Moto G6 I tested basic talk/text and it works ok inside home. Streaming music/media buffers a bit.

Name:  Screenshot_20200225-192919.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  42.8 KB

That should be enough to send Kilobyte-sized files periodically. Even megabyte, but probably not Gigabyte.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    That should be enough to send Kilobyte-sized files periodically. Even megabyte, but probably not Gigabyte.
    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I concur. The signal is barely usable so placement of the device in question will be important. Aka if it's a vending machine on the top of it would be best, on the side that faces the tower.

Why not test with the equipment it self? You should also note the bands.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Need honest opinion of the signal inside customer home

Thank you guys.

My client usually requests that the customer have: “4 bars,” inside the home where equipment is installed but we all know that the bar count on the signal indicator doesn’t always tell the full story.

Yes these are kilobyte files sent/received.

Customer lives in a very remote area and is paid to host equipment pending network assurances from ATT that it can handle the transmission.

I appreciate the help. I’m going to see if I can make this work. Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Thank you guys.

My client usually requests that the customer have: “4 bars,” inside the home where equipment is installed but we all know that the bar count on the signal indicator doesn’t always tell the full story.

Customer lives in a very remote area and is paid to host equipment pending network assurances from ATT that it can handle the transmission.

Based on years of personal experience, I would not expect -120 dBm on LTE band 2 for data to be at all reliable for anything. Who knows how the IoT device handles time outs.

If there are trees between the cell and the device, I would expect the signal to deteriorate to unusable when the leaves are back on the trees, coming soon. Weather causes variations too.

Device placement can make a big difference. I see a 15 dB increase in signal with my phone right at a window pane vs four feet inside the house.

Good luck

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you guys.

There's no band 5,12 or 14 avail?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    There's no band 5,12 or 14 avail?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    For LTE I don’t see anything other than PCS 1900.

In fact two blocks north where the housing track meets the open Mojave Desert the signal dies completely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Based on years of personal experience, I would not expect -120 dBm on LTE band 2 for data to be at all reliable for anything.
    This. -120 is largely unusable and even worse it’s unlikely the transmission from the IOT device (or whatever it is) will make it back to the tower.

Can you install/orient a better antenna? Use a cellular amplifier? Different wireless carrier or alternative broadband solution?

Is this just logging data? Or commerce data like a POS or vending machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Some larger IoT type of devices have MUCH stronger antennas than what a smartphone has. Vending machines have fairly significant antennas, as do cars and some other devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    If there are trees between the cell and the device, I would expect the signal to deteriorate to unusable when the leaves are back on the trees, coming soon. Weather causes variations too.
    We see exactly the same thing up at the cottage. During fall and spring the signal is barely usable and in the summer it's not at all.

Although the location is on the coverage map for both carriers in the area...

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you guys.

Go for it. I find dedicated AC-powered cell equipment works more reliably than phones. For example, my mother's house gets horrible cell reception for all carriers, but her AT&T wireless based "MobileHelp" base station (one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" emergency devices) works solidly and consistently (it has an annoyingly loud verbal "no signal" alarm we've yet to encounter!), even when my brother's AT&T iPhone or my FreedomPop (AT&T) tablet can't hold onto a decent signal in the same room when we visit.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I'd grab a Weboost drive M booster for 299 to 399. That's very similar signal to what my parents work with on a cellular router. Pre amplification signal is generally -117 with the booster -69. Goes from 4/1 mbps to 18/12. Solid as a rock for reliability.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk