Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Open Signal test all 4 Networks 5G

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,030
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Open Signal test all 4 Networks 5G

    Looks like T-Mobile with Sprint’s spectrum is going to really Rock when they combine their spectrum with 5G. That will then give T-Mobile both speed and connectivity. Not really worrying about Verizon much faster mmWave speed that can only connects to their phones 6% of the time when the tester is walking.

    On T-Mobile’s 600Mhz 5G network we saw the greatest time connected to 5G of 53.0%. We were able to connect to a 5G signal just over half of the time during our testing on T-Mobile’s 600 MHz and slightly less on Sprint’s 2.5GHz 5G networks. With both T-Mobile’s mmWave and AT&T’s 850 MHz 5G networks we spent 10.6% of the time connected to a 5G signal during the walk tests, while we connected to a 5G signal on Verizon’s mmWave 5G just 6% of the time.”

    https://www.opensignal.com/2020/02/2...ly-5g-approach

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,109
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Looks like T-Mobile with Sprint’s spectrum is going to really Rock when they combine their spectrum with 5G. That will then give T-Mobile both speed and connectivity.
    Yes indeed. It's going to be great when they get everything combined.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,146
    Feedback Score
    0
    When lowband 5G is no faster than 4G what's the difference?
    Name:  maxresdefault1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  44.0 KB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,146
    Feedback Score
    0
    Name:  2h6pgx.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  86.5 KB..........

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,030
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    When lowband 5G is no faster than 4G what's the difference?
    Name:  maxresdefault1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  44.0 KB
    AT&T & Verizon 4GLTE has just beat T-Mobile for the first time in years. Rootmetric 2H2019 showed AT&T won the Internet speed test 33.1 Mbps, Verizon #2 came in at 32.7Mbps and #3 T-Mobile had a 24.6 Mbps in National speed test. Now with T-Mobile nationwide 5G I expect them to win in the 1H2020 Rootmetric report since T-Mobile has 200 million Americans coverage. Even That is a temporary issue for T-Mobile since you must have not read this part. Just wait till T-Mobile gets to add Sprint’s Band 41 & Band 25 spectrum to their 5G.

    U.S. carriers’ 5G services are held back by 5G spectrum availability. Without the availability of new 5G mid-band spectrum, U.S. wireless operators have launched 5G services on a variety of spectrum frequencies that they had available, spanning from 600 MHz to 28 GHz. We believe that all U.S. operators will need to complement their holdings with more mid-band spectrum to take advantage of the sweet spot which 3-6 GHz frequencies provide in the trade-off between low bands’ wide reach and high bands’ super-fast speeds. At the moment, Sprint — soon the new T-Mobile when the Sprint/T-Mobile merger closes — is the only operator that owns spare mid-band spectrum that can be used for 5G.”
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-24-2020 at 06:34 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,146
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    AT&T & Verizon 4GLTE has just beat T-Mobile for the first time in years. Rootmetric 2H2019 showed AT&T won the Internet speed test 33.1 Mbps, Verizon #2 came in at 32.7Mbps and #3 T-Mobile had a 24.6 Mbps in National speed test. Now with T-Mobile nationwide 5G I expect them to win in the 1H2020 Rootmetric report since T-Mobile has 200 million Americans coverage. Even That is a temporary issue for T-Mobile since you must have not read this part. Just wait till T-Mobile gets to add Sprint’s Band 41 & Band 25 spectrum to their 5G.

    U.S. carriers’ 5G services are held back by 5G spectrum availability. Without the availability of new 5G mid-band spectrum, U.S. wireless operators have launched 5G services on a variety of spectrum frequencies that they had available, spanning from 600 MHz to 28 GHz. We believe that all U.S. operators will need to complement their holdings with more mid-band spectrum to take advantage of the sweet spot which 3-6 GHz frequencies provide in the trade-off between low bands’ wide reach and high bands’ super-fast speeds. At the moment, Sprint — soon the new T-Mobile when the Sprint/T-Mobile merger closes — is the only operator that owns spare mid-band spectrum that can be used for 5G.”
    Yeah I'll keep waiting on the Sprint spectrum. Considering Sprint has never bothered deploying services in my area( despite having the spectrum licenses to do so ) I wonder how many years it will be before T-Mobile bothers deploying Sprint's spectrum here. Yu keep acting as if T-Mobile already has that spectrum deployed. Technically they still don't even own it yet. Until they do all T-Mobile has is lowband 5G and a few places with mmwave( a fact which you conveniently ignore )

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Posts
    5,796
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    I still failed to see what are the benefits Tmobile has by being first to go nationwide with 5G when it's on 600Mhz? They havent showd what the improvements are over other carriers nationwide 4G LTE networks on all other frequencies.

    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,030
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Yeah I'll keep waiting on the Sprint spectrum. Considering Sprint has never bothered deploying services in my area( despite having the spectrum licenses to do so ) I wonder how many years it will be before T-Mobile bothers deploying Sprint's spectrum here. Yu keep acting as if T-Mobile already has that spectrum deployed. Technically they still don't even own it yet. Until they do all T-Mobile has is lowband 5G and a few places with mmwave( a fact which you conveniently ignore )
    No I think that you are ignoring that T-Mobile merger with Sprint is approved just not finished closing the deal legally yet. Please give me some examples where T-Mobile has squatted on spectrum they own and control. T- Mobile has been ahead of the FCC schedule on the 600 MHz deployment. One thing T-Mobile isn’t a spectrum squatters, they have a history of deploying their spectrum faster than any other network. Then again since you aren’t a T-Mobile customers you may not have noticed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,030
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    I still failed to see what are the benefits Tmobile has by being first to go nationwide with 5G when it's on 600Mhz? They havent showd what the improvements are over other carriers nationwide 4G LTE networks on all other frequencies.

    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    I would say the biggest benefit of the nationwide 5G was showing the Judge in the Merger trial they were serious about their commitment they would bring 5G service to the USA nationwide including the rural areas. T-Mobile’s 5G accomplishments was covering over 200 million Pops. Looks like the plan worked since the State AGs could not claim that 5G was a false claim by T-Mobile. T-Mobile had the 5G completed before the trial even started. Just another reason T-Mobile won the merger trial.

    As soon as the merger closes, then T-Mobile can start deploying Sprint’s unused spectrum very fast to their 5G towers to quickly increase their 5G speed nationwide. BTW, I live in a area with T-Mobile coverage and it makes me want a 5G phone. However if I was a AT&T or Verizon customers I’m not sure I would have 5G for several years. So why pay for a 5G phone if it is useless with most AT&T and Verizon customers. If you build it they will come...
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-24-2020 at 10:52 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,029
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    I still failed to see what are the benefits Tmobile has by being first to go nationwide with 5G when it's on 600Mhz? They havent showd what the improvements are over other carriers nationwide 4G LTE networks on all other frequencies.

    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    IMO, it makes a lot of sense because the technology is slower at small FDD bandwidths, but when so few customers are accessing it it performs slightly better. By the time most people have handsets capable, September of this year, they should have their hands on BRS which will see measurable and meaningful improvement. Similar to how in the early LTE days, Verizon had America’s fastest LTE network, then when AT&T launched theirs, they did, then when T-Mobile launched theirs, they did. It creates an artificial empty room for customers to be able to experience faster speeds. Think of it like when Verizon launched AWS and the only supported phones were the S4 and Note 3, or when AT&T started opening up PCS for LTE, launched WCS, then AWS-3, then B14. Another good example is Sprint’s B41 “Spark” network.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)


    Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,030
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    I still failed to see what are the benefits Tmobile has by being first to go nationwide with 5G when it's on 600Mhz? They havent showd what the improvements are over other carriers nationwide 4G LTE networks on all other frequencies.

    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Even though I think the primary reason was for the trial. I really believe that with all the new flagship phones supporting 5G, I would be very upset at my network if they didn’t have 5G in my area and they sold me a 5G phone. No one should be happy that their network sold them a 5G phone with the extra up charge $$$ that won’t even have 5G for years where they live. What is the point of having a phone better than your network can support where you live, work and play.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,307
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    ...... Please give me some examples where T-Mobile has squatted on spectrum they own and control. ........
    T-Mobile may have met all FCC coverage requirements but they have also left many places maddeningly uncovered, despite having licenses to cover those areas. Everyone who's used T-Mobile can provide examples. For me, two are NASA Stennis Space Center and the intersection of Hwys 67 & 605 in S. Miss. This in addition to just about anywhere more than two miles from a major highway. AT&T did a pretty good job of covering parts of Miss. with just mid-band licenses. T-Mobile didn't make the effort.
    Donald Newcomb

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    542
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    No I think that you are ignoring that T-Mobile merger with Sprint is approved just not finished closing the deal legally yet. Please give me some examples where T-Mobile has squatted on spectrum they own and control. T- Mobile has been ahead of the FCC schedule on the 600 MHz deployment. One thing T-Mobile isn’t a spectrum squatters, they have a history of deploying their spectrum faster than any other network. Then again since you aren’t a T-Mobile customers you may not have noticed.
    They own Nationwide PCS licenses, they do not have Nationwide coverage. I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to actually say here. Why lie? You like TMobile, great, but why lie and try to paint them as something they are not? The company itself doesn't even claim the things you do about them. C'mon .......all lying does, it give uneducated people a unrealistic view of something that isn't really there. There is nothing wrong with being honest, even if it means saying that TMobile has spectrum licenses they have done nothing with. It's ok.....all carriers have done the same. TMobile isn't a superhero.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,030
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile may have met all FCC coverage requirements but they have also left many places maddeningly uncovered, despite having licenses to cover those areas. Everyone who's used T-Mobile can provide examples. For me, two are NASA Stennis Space Center and the intersection of Hwys 67 & 605 in S. Miss. This in addition to just about anywhere more than two miles from a major highway. AT&T did a pretty good job of covering parts of Miss. with just mid-band licenses. T-Mobile didn't make the effort.
    T-Mobile didn’t own the spectrum in Mississippi before they got 600 MHz to provide rural coverage with 100% coverage and bandwidth. Cspire owned all the Band 12 in Mississippi including overlap adjacent states. T-Mobile band 4 doesn’t have the range for rural coverage. I grew up in Tennessee near the Mississippi line in a rural area where Cspire owned Band 12 even today. My area in Tennessee just started getting Band 71 about 8 months ago since with the rolling terrain Of hills and valleys couldn’t be covered by Band 4 economically. Now with 600 MHz it is great for coverage in my hometown when I visit there. At least till you get into the swamps.

    Both AT&T and Verizon have lots of 700 MHz that is great for rural communities even they had difficulty competing against Cspire that is a Mississippi owned network. I also know you lived in a area where the TV stations was in a late phase of roll out with 600Mhz. However they are building it now. Mississippi biggest cable provider for Backhaul is Cspire that is also a direct competition for cell service in Mississippi.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,307
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile didn’t own the spectrum in Mississippi before they got 600 MHz to provide rural coverage with 100% coverage and bandwidth. Cspire owned all the Band 12 in Mississippi including overlap adjacent states. .......
    Neither did AT&T (BellSouth). Until AT&T bought 700 MHz they covered 2/3 of Mississippi with only mid-band licenses and their coverage was competitive with CSpire (Cellular South) and Verizon.

    (The B-side cellular licenses in Mississippi went to BellSouth in the central area around Jackson and to Cellular South (Franklin Telephone) in the northern and southern parts of the state.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. T Mobile has the best network according to open signal
    By techguru30 in forum Tmo Lounge
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 08-16-2017, 06:53 PM
  2. How Accurate Is The Open Signal Speed Test
    By markdiesel in forum Cricket
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2015, 09:18 PM
  3. Nextel to test "4G" network with data upto 1.5MB/s!!!
    By LostProphetXero in forum Sprint
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 06:10 PM
  4. Bell RF signal test: A460 vs n370
    By -- BellBoy -- in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-17-2003, 07:11 AM
  5. My signal test of the 8390, T68i, and 6590
    By Mike656 in forum Nokia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2002, 10:14 PM

Bookmarks