Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Save Money

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pmsmith2032 View Post
    Thanks! So which is the better option, Verizon Prepaid or something like Total Wireless"

Verizon Prepaid - 6 GB per line for $85 plus fees and taxes
    Total Wireless - 60 GB total data for $80

It looks like Total Wireless uses Verizon's network. Is it worth getting less data and paying a little more to stick with Verizon?
    I'd probably go with Visible in your situation for the best price for unlimited everything.

But if you want to choose between Vzw Prepaid and TW, It's a bit of a tossup in my mind. You might think you'll get better CS from Vzw Prepaid, but that's not guaranteed. My last interactions with Vzw Prepaid CS left a lot to be desired, but recent TW CS via online chat has been very good.

It also might matter if your area has Vzw data network congestion. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the differences can comment, but Vzw Prepaid --might-- have better Vzw data network priority over TW. Nobody in my area has complained about slow data when using TW, so even if true, it doesn't affect all areas.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Why do you recommend Visible?

One of my concerns is coverage. Verizon has always been excellent in that category (we live in far west suburbs of Chicago.....near Aurora). The only exceptions is when I travel up to northern Wisconsin (about a week on average per year). Up there service is very poor. However, from the coverage maps and from other's experiences it seems Verizon offers the best (although poor) coverage for that area.

Feedback Score
    Update.......I checked with Visible and after entering my IMEI the site says my phone is incompatible. They offered me a Swap phone (Motorola moto e6 or Visible ZTE Blade A7 Prime) which isn't nearly as good as my phone. Not sure why a Moto G7 that works on Verizon's network wouldn't work on Visible's (they use the same network).

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Another possibility is Visible https://www.visible.com/. It has unlimited everything for $25/mo if you join a Party Pay group. As far as I can tell, the Moto G7 and iPhone 11 phones are compatible with Visible.
    When I checked my unlocked Moto g7 it says not compatible and wants to swap.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Update.......I checked with Visible and after entering my IMEI the site says my phone is incompatible. They offered me a Swap phone (Motorola moto e6 or Visible ZTE Blade A7 Prime) which isn't nearly as good as my phone. Not sure why a Moto G7 that works on Verizon's network wouldn't work on Visible's (they use the same network).
    Same with my g7.

Feedback Score
    I was recommending Visible because it is owned by Vzw and uses the Vzw network and offers UT&T&LTE for $25/mo total.

I also thought, apparently incorrectly, that your existing Moto G7 and iPhone 11 phones would be compatible with Visible, but unfortunately, it seems that was wrong. I apologize for that.

Feedback Score
    No worries. I appreciate the recommendation. I checked with Verizon concerning the Prepaid Family plan. This is what they told me:

1. Data is not transferable between plans. For example, if I had a 6GB plan, if one phone used 3GB and the other 8 GB, I would be penalized for the 8GB.
    2. Unused data rolls over from one month to the next.
    3. My employee discount does not apply to the prepaid plan.
    4. Taxes and fees are not included in the $85 and they couldn't quote me an exact amount. They said taxes and fees would be charged the same as a regular plan. I am currently paying $6.90 per $20 line charge so I am guessing taxes and fees could be pretty expensive.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! So which is the better option, Verizon Prepaid or something like Total Wireless"

Verizon Prepaid - 6 GB per line for $85 plus fees and taxes
    Total Wireless - 60 GB total data for $80

It looks like Total Wireless uses Verizon's network. Is it worth getting less data and paying a little more to stick with Verizon?
    VZ's own prepaid, and MVNOs are de-prioritized the same.. which, depending on where you are located, could slow to a crawl. Theres two tiers, one belonging to postpaid verizon, those get priority, and everything else falls under the lower tier. Some people might not notice, for others it can border on unusable

Feedback Score
    Not sure why a Moto G7 that works on Verizon's network wouldn't work on Visible's (they use the same network).
    (from what I have read)
    Visible uses a new Cloud IMS transparent VPN, which routes calls to the cloud.

That's why most Verizon phones don't work with Visible. The ability to use IMS for VoLTE is not yet in standard Android, and visible basically needs the device manufacturer to push an update... and apparently it is really hard for visible to convince them to do that.

Also a side-note Visible is VoLTE only, with no fallback.. which depending on your area could be unnoticed, or very noticeable difference compared to "regular" verizon service. It is also only has two servers in the US, so depending on your location, latency could be high, and it is de-prioritized, so you potentially have two issues to deal with.

Right now I would treat Visible as basically paying them to participate in their beta testing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    VZ's own prepaid, and MVNOs are de-prioritized the same.. which, depending on where you are located, could slow to a crawl. Theres two tiers, one belonging to postpaid verizon, those get priority, and everything else falls under the lower tier. Some people might not notice, for others it can border on unusable
    Thanks for that clarification.

With that information, along with the potentially high taxes/fees on Vzw Prepaid that Vzw told to pmsmith2032, in addition to the much higher shared data allowance with TW, I'd lean toward the TW shared 60GB 3 line plan.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    To get away from high taxes and fees is why we all went the mvno/prepaid route

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Would deprioritization with Total Wireless affect calls and texting or just data?

Feedback Score
    Would deprioritization with Total Wireless affect calls and texting or just data?
    I don't recall seeing any reports of calls or texts being an issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    To get away from high taxes and fees is why we all went the mvno/prepaid route

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    A huge reason for me also.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    No negative affect on calls or texts. Calls connect almost immediately on VoLTE regardless of priority status on a congested tower. No affect on call "quality" either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2