Thread: Embarrassing: How do I set up voicemail?

Feedback Score

Embarrassing: How do I set up voicemail?

Been a TF customer for over a decade and have never bothered to set up voicemail. Decided today was the day.
    TF online instructions say to call voicemail and follow the prompts. Hah.
    I have an iPhone 6s. I call "voicemail" listed in the phone contacts screen (automatically dialed) and get AT&T, which tells me to enter the number I'm trying to leave a message on. I do that and it says "sorry, no record of that number. Please enter the 10-digit number provided by your administrator." I do and get the same message.
    There's no setup option at all.
    Any guidance would be appreciated.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The voice mail number is always programmed as a Speed Dial to dialpad key "1". On an AT&T phone, it's an actual number. On a Verizon phone, it's *86 which correspond to the letters VM on the dialpad.

HOLD DOWN dialpad key "1" on your phone and it'll call its own Voicemail box. The first time you call, it'll walk you through the setup process.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The voice mail number is always programmed as a Speed Dial to dialpad key "1". On an AT&T phone, it's an actual number. On a Verizon phone, it's *86 which correspond to the letters VM on the dialpad.

HOLD DOWN dialpad key "1" on your phone and it'll call its own Voicemail box. The first time you call, it'll walk you through the setup process.
    Thanks but nope, it takes me to the same voicemail number with two options: leave a voicemail and "if you have a mailbox please press #" and when i do and enter my phone number, it says sorry, could not find a mailbox with that number.
    There's no setup option at all.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The voice mail will likely have to be re-added to your account. If VM is not setup after a certain time frame, the feature is removed from your account. No big deal, just call customer service to restore it at no cost. The error message you are getting is because the feature is not active on your account any longer.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Is your phone using AT&T, T-mo, or Verizon? Further instructions depend on which carrier your phone uses.

Also, try this:
    1. Put your cell phone in airplane mode, or turn it off, so it won't answer.
    2. Call your cell phone number from another phone (cell phone, landline, Google Voice, etc). When the voicemail system kicks in:
    a. If it says "Sorry, this person has not set up a voicemail box", then your voicemail box hasn't been set up yet.
    b. If it tells you to leave a message, then your voicemail box was already set up. Sometimes TF does that automatically. If that's the case, you can contact TF and ask them to reset your voicemail box, so you can start from scratch.

Let us know what happens when you try the steps above.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    Been a TF customer for over a decade and have never bothered to set up voicemail. Decided today was the day. TF online instructions say to call voicemail and follow the prompts. Hah. I have an iPhone 6s. I call "voicemail" listed in the phone contacts screen (automatically dialed) and get AT&T, which tells me to enter the number I'm trying to leave a message on. I do that and it says "sorry, no record of that number. Please enter the 10-digit number provided by your administrator." I do and get the same message. There's no setup option at all. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    tracfone voicemail setup - https://blog.tracfone.com/set-up-voi...-4-easy-steps/

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If the steps listed in the last post's link about setting up Tracfone VM don't work, remember to call them to ensure that the feature is active on the account. If you have had the service for 10 years and never set it up, I can almost guarantee it is not active on the account any longer.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, all. Will give it all a try tomorrow and report back

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Also, just try calling your phone number from that same phone.

Feedback Score
    I somehow had my voicemail disappear. It was working and my iphone shows a deleted message in Feb last year. So it was setup once. Right now accessing the AT&T voice mailbox gives me the same "says "sorry, no record of that number. Please enter the 10-digit number provided by your administrator." I suppose I just hadn't noticed VM was gone thinking the calling unanswered numbers were junk calls. Who know what has been missed. When I call the number and get to where VM ought to be, I get "The wireless caller is not available" which is not the VM not setup message. That implies VM exists but has been configured to not record messages. Using the IPhone VM access button, it does not retrieve messages as it once did; it just shows old stuff.

I called TF and asked that my mailbox be reset. That was three days ago. Still get the redirect from "1" held and told my number had no mailbox. My iPhone still has access to previously stored messages and still shows multiple deleted messages. Using the GSM codes shows no redirection of any calls to anywhere.

Asking TF to setup mailbox gives me the canned stuff "1" held that doesn't work now.

Since few seem to have had this problem, it doesn't seem like an iPhone IOS update issue. Seems like AT&T did something so my phone number isn't showing.

Is there a higher level at TF to get this fixed?

Feedback Score
    I don't have an iPhone, but somewhere in the settings should be an indication of what number is supposed to be called when the 1 is pressed. Sometimes you can edit this number. You can supposedly call CS and find out what your service number is supposed to be and see if it got deleted or whatever and then put it back.

Feedback Score
    Now I'm sure it's a network configuration error. I found this on an AT&T forum: "I have a new iPhone 7 replacing my 6. i'm having this problem setting up my voicemail on the new phone.

When I go to: Phone > Voicemail, it just automatically dials to AT&T asking that I dial a 10 digit phone number to the phone I am calling (when I dial her number, it says that number does not have a voicemail box set up). When I go to: Settings > Phone > Change Voicemail Password, it asks for a password, then asks again, and then says "Changing password..." but never does anything."

I'll retry TF during the day shift.