Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Why am I not seeing band 12 or 71 anywhere even with Pixel 3a?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    194
    Device(s)
    Pixel 4 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Thanks.
    Any idea though why my US Mobile (using Verizon's network) SIM does not have it as an option but my US Mobile (running Tmobile's network) SIM does?
    I'm honestly going to have to "eat my hat" in this case. I just ported in a number to Visible and they seem to have a similar situation with limited phone support for WiFi Calling (https://www.visible.com/help/kA02G0000009Gd3SAE). A quick google shows that US Mobile provides less information on what devices support WiFi Calling (https://www.usmobile.com/blog/what-is-wifi-calling/). It honestly reminds me of how scattered support is for Wifi calling and VoLTE is with MNVOs that use AT&T's network....

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    194
    Device(s)
    Pixel 4 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    MVNOs may not get all of the same features as carrier-branded plans do.

    Total Wireless, as an example of a VZW MVNO, does not get WiFi Calling even on Verizon-supported devices.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    I don't know if it is just me, but it seems that MNVOs that use T-Mobile or Sprint seem to have more feature parity with WiFi calling. VoLTE is rolling out slowly for Sprint though....

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    542
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by compuguy View Post
    I don't know if it is just me, but it seems that MNVOs that use T-Mobile or Sprint seem to have more feature parity with WiFi calling. VoLTE is rolling out slowly for Sprint though....
    I'd say this is true for tmobile. Mvnos get access to those features, as well as their own prepaid metro service. With sprint though I'd say no. Even boost doesn't have wifi calling or volte access, which is strange especially for volte. I'm not sure if any sprint mvno does have access to either feature?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    194
    Device(s)
    Pixel 4 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    I'd say this is true for tmobile. Mvnos get access to those features, as well as their own prepaid metro service. With sprint though I'd say no. Even boost doesn't have wifi calling or volte access, which is strange especially for volte. I'm not sure if any sprint mvno does have access to either feature?
    I know for a fact that Ting supports Wifi calling on Sprint. I'm not sure if they support VoLTE though on Sprint...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    542
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by compuguy View Post
    I know for a fact that Ting supports Wifi calling on Sprint. I'm not sure if they support VoLTE though on Sprint...
    That's cool they get wifi calling then. Its definitely weird they would give ting wifi calling, but not their own boost brand.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,392
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Even in a couple of spots where I have gotten -120db with band 66 or 2, I still see no evidence of the phone recognizing band 12 or 71.
    That's what I thought. So basically Tmobile has gone and spent huge amounts of money to provide access to a band that hardly anyone will ever get access to even when their call is choppy, and will possibly drop.
    Depends on how it's tuned. If it waits for band 66/2 to drop off THEN switches to 12/71, then yeah it'd be like you say. But I bet that's not what's really happening!

    I'm on VZW, but my phone will show band 4 at -120dbm. That's what it SHOWS, but really (based on speed test) I'm running carrier aggregation between band 4 and band 13, and when band 4 signal is that weak all the data traffic is actually running over band 13. I could tell this in my case because, in this -120dbm spot, if I moved one way, dbm goes up, by -115 or -110dbm band 4 the speed has gone WAY up. Going the other way, my speed stays just the same between -120dbm band 4 and having band 4 drop off so it shows band 13 (about -75 to -80dbm...) instead. I barely see band 13 at all any more, even though I'm probably using it close to 10-15% of the time (assuming I'm using 13 when it shows -120dbm or so signal on band 4 or 2....)

    Have you checked if your calls are indeed choppy when you're showing a -120 signal on 66/2? If it's tuned to cling to 66/2 THEN switch to 12/71, it'd be nice and choppy; if it's tuned like I see with band 4, it wouldn't be choppy at all.

    LOL. Sorry for the laugh but I have been trying for over 2 months to get someone who actually knows, to tell me if Verizon allows WiFi calling on a non Verizon branded phone.
    Umm.. yeah. My BB Keyone is the "Verizon" model, has the VZW firmware in it, with voice over wifi support, but the VoWIFI reportedly has not worked for anyone off VZW on it. I don't think VZW is going around blocking third party devices, but.... I wouldn't rely on a device supporting VoWIFI or not on VZW until you read about somebody specifically using it.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,177
    Feedback Score
    0
    I see mostly band 71 and band 12 on my regular pixel. I would not have T-Mobile without these two bands because without these two bands there's not much.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,177
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >I have been trying for over 2 months to get someone who actually knows, to tell me if Verizon allows WiFi calling on a non Verizon branded phone. I have called and spoken with Verizon reps almost a dozen times...I went this route when trying to sign up for a network extender through them only to be told in the stores and by the phone reps that yes a network extender works with a prepaid account,

    >WiFi calling, a cell booster, and a network extender are not reliable options inside public places.

    Er, didn't you just say you were looking for wifi-calling and/or network extender info from VZW reps?

    If that's not what you want, then why bother with the questions, then to complain that they weren't being answered adequately? So now you want good reception in all public places? Good luck with that.

    BTW, VZW reps shouldn't even answer questions about phones from other vendors. It's only responsible for its own equipment. BYOD compatibility is always your responsibility.


    >I have googled these issues and seen so many opposing answers, it's impossible to come to any conclusion.

    Seriously?

    http://google.com/search?&q=pixel+3a...n+wifi+calling

    The answer, straight from VZW site, is the first hit at the top of the listing. In large fonts. How much more clear-cut can you get? Are we talking about a comprehension issue?


    >I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the way to get the most reliable answers is to just try it oneself.

    Sure, let's do that. If you want to ignore the net as a source of info, then go and buy a SIM and try it yourself. But then, what the heck are you doing here?
    Emote, sorry to say you are wrecking the quoting system here so it looks like in every comment you are talking to yourself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. this might be why we are not seeing a FCC report on the 870
    By the good doc in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 08:25 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 05:59 PM
  3. Why am I not getting Edge or GPRS, even?
    By Tall Texan in forum AT&T
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 11:05 PM
  4. Why am I not surprised.....?
    By GuyinLACA in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 12:49 AM
  5. Why am I not allowed to PM mods?
    By HF 1 Is Yo Daddy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks