Thread: Change Battery - Worth It?

Feedback Score

Change Battery - Worth It?

I have a Samsung galaxy S7 (released in 2016) whose battery, I feel, is no longer lasting as long as it should. AccuBattery app is showing a 78% battery capacity and 4.20 hours screen-on time.

I've found a local Samsung authorized dealer that could replace with an OEM battery for $119+tx

I'm in the market for a replacement phone but really like the form factor and this phone also has some sentimental value as It was given as a gift; I'd like to keep using it until I find another -- at the very least will keep using it as a backup phone.

Would changing the battery to a 'new' OEM one actually make a noticeable difference with the phone's runtime?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobor View Post
    I have a Samsung galaxy S7 (released in 2016) whose battery, I feel, is no longer lasting as long as it should. AccuBattery app is showing a 78% battery capacity and 4.20 hours screen-on time.

I've found a local Samsung authorized dealer that could replace with an OEM battery for $119+tx

I'm in the market for a replacement phone but really like the form factor and this phone also has some sentimental value as It was given as a gift; I'd like to keep using it until I find another -- at the very least will keep using it as a backup phone.

Would changing the battery to a 'new' OEM one actually make a noticeable difference with the phone's runtime?
    Replacement batteries for older phones are a crap shoot because frequently the replacement battery is also old and may not have been stored well.

I replaced the batteries in my Galaxy S3 and S4. The replacements were better, but not by a whole lot.

The price you mentioned for the S7 replacement is close to the cost of a new S7. I wouldn't do it.

I don't like the trend of phones getting too large either.

Feedback Score
    There is a tedious process that has been known to improve battery life sometimes. Full charge - let discharge till phone won't turn on - full charge. Repeat 6 times. This has been known to work on used batteries & suggested to condition new batteries.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    There is a tedious process that has been known to improve battery life sometimes. Full charge - let discharge till phone won't turn on - full charge. Repeat 6 times. This has been known to work on used batteries & suggested to condition new batteries.
    Good point. I have done this on several phones and it has improved the battery performance noticeably at least for a few months. I think six cycles is too much and hard on the battery. I usually do one or two. It's a good thing to do once or twice a year on any phone, but who bothers unless the battery starts seeming weak.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Often times the problem isn't the battery, it's the apps. When my wife complains about the battery life on her phone, my response is, "Are you still using Facebook Messenger?" I'm sure that if we swapped phones, in a week, she'd be complaining about battery life. She loves to load down her phone with power hogging apps.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    There’s an app called Greenify that can be used to save battery by automatically killing unused apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...enify&hl=en_US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk