Thread: Total Wireless Question (device / sim swapping)

Feedback Score

Total Wireless Question (device / sim swapping)

Looking at changing from Verizon to Total Wireless (TW) to save us almost 50% on our current bill. I know the service will drop a bit and we'll be de-prioritized, but now that TW allows mobile hotspot (something important for us), we've decided to pull the trigger.

My one question is this - can I just pop TW my sim card out of one phone and put it into another, assuming both are factory unlocked and fully compatible with TW's networK? The chat rep seemed to indicate that wasn't possible and any time the device was switched I'd have to activate a new sim card, but that seems pretty ancient. I figured there had to be someone here that uses TW that could confirm or deny what they said.

Also, I guess if anybody has any general thoughts about TW that could be helpful, especially coming from Verizon's solid post-paid service, that would be cool, too!

TIA!

Feedback Score
    what phone are you wanting to use ??

Feedback Score
    iPhone 8 and Moto X4 - both factory unlocked and fully compatible

Feedback Score

Total Wireless Question (Device/SIM Swapping)

Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    ...My one question is this - can I just pop TW my sim card out of one phone and put it into another, assuming both are factory unlocked and fully compatible with TW's networK? The chat rep seemed to indicate that wasn't possible and any time the device was switched I'd have to activate a new sim card, but that seems pretty ancient. I figured there had to be someone here that uses TW that could confirm or deny what they said.

Also, I guess if anybody has any general thoughts about TW that could be helpful, especially coming from Verizon's solid post-paid service, that would be cool, too!

TIA!
    I did what you did a while back. I already had four smartphones on Verizon. I bought four Total Wireless SIM cards and three of the devices switched over fine. However, the fourth one would not activate on Total Wireless. When I checked the IMEI, it wasn't listed. I had to "activate" the Total Wireless SIM card in a different smartphone and then switch it to the smartphone that I wanted to use it in. So, yes, it will work and I am pretty certain that the Customer Service Representatives at Total wireless are trained to tell you that it won't work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I did what you did a while back. I already had four smartphones on Verizon. I bought four Total Wireless SIM cards and three of the devices switched over fine. However, the fourth one would not activate on Total Wireless. When I checked the IMEI, it wasn't listed. I had to "activate" the Total Wireless SIM card in a different smartphone and then switch it to the smartphone that I wanted to use it in. So, yes, it will work and I am pretty certain that the Customer Service Representatives at Total wireless are trained to tell you that it won't work.
    Thanks for that - have you been happy with the change overall?

Feedback Score

Total Wireless Question (Device/SIM Swapping)

Thanks for that - have you been happy with the change overall?
    Yes, I have been quite satisfied with Total Wireless.

Feedback Score
    My one question is this - can I just pop TW my sim card out of one phone and put it into another, assuming both are factory unlocked and fully compatible with TW's networK?
    A new SIM card is $0.99, with next day delivery, and will insure a trouble-free service. Tracfone (parent company) is marrying SIM's to original phone's IMEI and swapping SIM's, even if it seem to work, might create issues later.
    https://www.amazon.com/eGift-Promoti.../dp/B072FTW1MB