Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does any company offer a cellular home (desk) phone plan?

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score

Does any company offer a cellular home (desk) phone plan?

Some time ago both Boom! and Straight Talk had a cellular device that you could put a SIM card in and plug a desk phone into for voice calls only. Now neither of them offers it. The reason I ask is because our e-fax service just increased to $215/year and I'm wondering if I couldn't get a cheaper plan using that device with our old fax machine.

We had the Straight Talk home phone service at a house our company owns a while back, and if I recall, it was very cheap. Something like $15 bucks a month, and i just bought refill cards at Walmart. But I'm not seeing anything on the Straight Talk website about that device.

Getting a traditional landline would cost us even more than the e-fax service we currently use.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I think I used an obi device with a Google voice number successfully with a fax machine. That might be the cheapest or no cost solution

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has a such a device/service. I don't have the details available, but I am sure you can find it online or at a corporate store.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Ooma also has a 4G home phone, but the device retail isn't cheap. $11.99+taxes/fees per month. Product info also states: "Some alarms, faxes and other devices may not be compatible." so YMMV.

https://www.ooma.com/home-phone-serv...ernet-service/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Some time ago both Boom! and Straight Talk had a cellular device that you could put a SIM card in and plug a desk phone into for voice calls only. Now neither of them offers it. The reason I ask is because our e-fax service just increased to $215/year and I'm wondering if I couldn't get a cheaper plan using that device with our old fax machine.

We had the Straight Talk home phone service at a house our company owns a while back, and if I recall, it was very cheap. Something like $15 bucks a month, and i just bought refill cards at Walmart. But I'm not seeing anything on the Straight Talk website about that device.

Getting a traditional landline would cost us even more than the e-fax service we currently use.
    Straight Talk still has one, but it can take some looking to find.

https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...me-phone-z723c

I bought one a few months ago. It uses Verizon VoLTE for voice. As you said $15 a month (for unlimited talk). It is $50 for the unit. From time to time they have refurb units for $20.

I tried it twice to send a test fax. It did not work, would not connect at all.

I also have the Obi unit someone else mentioned. I have used that successfully to send a few faxes. My fax does not display what speed it connects at, but it doesn't seem very fast. It connects to broadband Internet, cable, etc. What you are looking for is a Polycom Obitalk 200 or 202. The 202 is two line. The 200 is about $50.

You can use it for free with Google Voice. You could port your fax number to GV. IIRC, Google charges $20 for that. It also works with other paid services like Callcentric. Check them for what it would cost for your usage.

Good luck

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This is the link to Verizon's home phone solution that I mentioned in my earlier post: https://www.verizonwireless.com/home...sku=sku2260556

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I have an ancient Telo unit on the plan where I just pay taxes and I have successfully sent FAX over it. Saved my bacon during the run up to a closing when nothing else was working to get something sent.

My thoughts on getting a home phone would be to pursue picking up a home line device branded ATT, will have to get that model number later, or check my post history, and get an H2O paygo line if it’s low use.
    ——
    If you join Tello, feel free to use referral P3J3P699 to get $10 off when you sign up for a new account.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Verizon’s novatel LTE only home phone device supports faxing, and also alarm systems in the future supposedly. If you want to go the cheap route there’s always buying one used off eBay and getting a cheap plan from redpocket or page plus. I assume the faxing work no matter which plan you have...
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    I have an ancient Telo unit on the plan where I just pay taxes and I have successfully sent FAX over it. Saved my bacon during the run up to a closing when nothing else was working to get something sent.

My thoughts on getting a home phone would be to pursue picking up a home line device branded ATT, will have to get that model number later, or check my post history, and get an H2O paygo line if it’s low use.
    Isn't an ancient Telo the type of Ooma that connects to broadband Internet?

Ooma has a new one that uses LTE cellular, but I doubt that any of the cellular ATAs have sufficient audio quality for fax.

Carrier(s)
    TMo
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile has something similar https://www.t-mobile.com/support/cov...obile-linelink It is $10 if you have a mobile line with them.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    Verizon’s novatel LTE only home phone device supports faxing, and also alarm systems in the future supposedly. If you want to go the cheap route there’s always buying one used off eBay and getting a cheap plan from redpocket or page plus. I assume the faxing work no matter which plan you have...
    Another advantage is that the device will work out of the house and operate using the same home phone # while connected to a cellular signal. This would work for folks who travel and want their phone # to travel with them (frequent RV users typically). I don't think the other home phone options mentioned offer that feature as they are physically plugged in a wall phone jack.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberoam View Post
    Tmobile has something similar https://www.t-mobile.com/support/cov...obile-linelink It is $10 if you have a mobile line with them.
    T-Mobile's product requires an internet connection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Another advantage is that the device will work out of the house and operate using the same home phone # while connected to a cellular signal. This would work for folks who travel and want their phone # to travel with them (frequent RV users typically). I don't think the other home phone options mentioned offer that feature as they are physically plugged in a wall phone jack.
    The Straight Talk ZTE cellular unit is definitely portable as well and does not need to be plugged into a wall phone jack - none of them do, cellular or broadband. The ZTE unit even has a battery like a cellphone that will power it for many hours on standby - less when calling.

These things are Analog Telephone Adapters (ATA). They get a source of cellular phone network or Internet and provide a Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) analog interface at the phone jack where you plug POTS phone devices. You can connect it to premise phone wiring, but you don't have to.

The broadband ATAs require a source of Internet (cable, etc.) and power from a wall-wart. They are not generally portable. They can be plugged into premise phone wiring, but they don't have to be - mine isn't, I just connect it to a cordless phone base. Consumer level examples are Polycom Obihai, Magic Jack, Ooma, Vonage. In addition to a source of broadband Internet it needs a service provider out on the Internet. The Obi can use Google Voice for free. The others sell service under their names.

There is also a version of the ZTE cellular unit sold and serviced by Consumer Cellular that uses AT&T. That unit is 3G which will be a dead end soon.

Feedback Score
    you can find these units on ebay.

Feedback Score

Does Any Company Offer A cellular Home (Desk) Phone Plan?

I know a few people that might be interested in this. Thank you for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast