Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Verizon, T-Mobile bicker over C-band auction rules

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    It's not the government's job to make things "fair". Let the market decide.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Really then why did the government try to stop T-Mobile and the Sprint merger? After all the combined New T-Mobile will be still be #3 and AT&T plus Verizon have over 90% of the revenue in mobile service. Everyone’s opposition against the merger was going from 4 networks to three. It is the governments job to provide a fair chance for all the other networks including Dish, USC and Cspire to get their share of spectrum in a Government Spectrum Auction. It is the job of of the government to control competition in individual industry organizations to prevent price fixing for service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Both AT&T and Verizon went around the FCC to buy mmWave spectrum that was being repossessed by the FCC that would have auctioned it off. The Verizon and AT&T customers sure are afraid of having real competition. Then again T-Mobile can bid up the prices of C-Band so much that Verizon and AT&T has to raise their customers prices and then hemorrhage even more of their customers to T-Mobile. Either way it is a win win for T-Mobile that is going to grow faster than before the merger. Still think Amazon, Google, Facebook or SpaceX could out bid everyone one else to build their satellites WISP.
    I'm not sure why you think verizon and at&t raising rates is a good thing. All it means is tmobile will also raise rates. This notion that tmobile shareholders don't care about making as much profit as humanly possible is nonsensical. If at&t and verizon raise rates, tmobile would also raise rates and even if they undercut them by $5, claim to be cheaper. All verizon and at&t raising their rates would do is give tmobile a free pass to follow suit. Not exactly a win-win situation for consumers. It's a copycat industry and once one carrier sees another found a way to increase profit, the others always follow. There will never be more than a $10-20 price difference between all 3 carriers. Also, neither at&t or verizon are "hemmoraging" customers either. Both have had positive growth in their wireless segment.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    I'm not sure why you think verizon and at&t raising rates is a good thing. All it means is tmobile will also raise rates. This notion that tmobile shareholders don't care about making as much profit as humanly possible is nonsensical. If at&t and verizon raise rates, tmobile would also raise rates and even if they undercut them by $5, claim to be cheaper. All verizon and at&t raising their rates would do is give tmobile a free pass to follow suit. Not exactly a win-win situation for consumers. Also, neither at&t or verizon are "hemmoraging" customers either. Both have had positive growth in their wireless segment.
    T-Mobile didn’t raise my monthly fee....

AT&T just redefined the word ‘bonus’ as a $10 price hike for data you didn’t ask for. https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/2...are-value-plan

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile didn’t raise my monthly fee....

AT&T just redefined the word ‘bonus’ as a $10 price hike for data you didn’t ask for. https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/2...are-value-plan
    Just wait till you want to sign up for something, and it requires you to pick a new plan. The goal is like every other carriers goal, get as many customers they can on their most expensive offerings. Then when you get on that new plan, have fun paying extra for HD streaming, or anything over 3gb of LTE hotspot. Just because you are on a grandfathered plan, doesn't protect you from future price hikes. Their goal is to get you to pay more, not less. They are a business, not your best buddy. You are a business transaction to them, not a partner. They look out for their best interests, and theirs alone. Their best interest, is to make as much profit as possible. If other carriers raise rates, they will follow.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Congress disagrees. One of the FCC's mandates from Congress is to assure wireless competition. This is done by setting up fair-share bidding rules for auctions that prevent deep-pocket companies from cornering the market on spectrum. The question is, "What's fair?" In low-band auctions, T-Mobile wanted preferences for carriers who didn't have much low-band (e.g. T-Mobile). Now comes along a high-band auction and T-Mobile wants the FCC to just ignore their existing ~200 MHz of high-band allocations. Of course Verizon wants to just be able to open their checkbook and buy it all. Neither is "fair". What would be fair is to set up limits that take into account a bidder's existing high-band licenses and set limits on how much one carrier can buy. This way everyone gets a fair share of the available spectrum.
    Agreed. It seems the easiest way is to not limit what you're allowed to buy, but limit what you're allowed to own. The FCC should set ownership caps in each range (low, mid, high), let you win whatever you like at auction, but then force you to divest whatever is over the cap. This would allow anyone to bid, and allow current owners to "trade" less desirable spectrum out if better spectrum becomes available.

Or, maybe just let 'em all merge into one giant company, give them all the spectrum, and let them charge us whatever they like. That's where we seem to be headed anyway!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Verizon had their chance to acquire 2.5 spectrum in the past. The declined to do so. Hell, they could of bought the 2.5 spectrum at&t had to divest when they merged with bell south. Instead Clearwire bought it all up. Not to mention you are making an unfair comparison. Verizon has hoarded it's fair share of spectrum also, with their xo and straight path purchases. These are companies that already held the license, and were purchased by verizon. Same with sprint and tmobile. Not really the same as the spectrum being available in an auction.
    Oh you mean the 39 GHz licenses ALL of which are up fro RE-AUCTION of which T-Mobile will get a sizable share if it chooses too? So T_Mobile should get the majority of mid band spectrum. That way they'll have HUGE competitive advantage over at&T and Verizon and that in no way will result in them doing things like offer worse plans at higher prices because let's face it if you want decent 5G they'll be the only company to offer it. The point of the merger was to force at&t and Verizon to be more like T-Mobile not the other way around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Congress disagrees. One of the FCC's mandates from Congress is to assure wireless competition. This is done by setting up fair-share bidding rules for auctions that prevent deep-pocket companies from cornering the market on spectrum. The question is, "What's fair?" In low-band auctions, T-Mobile wanted preferences for carriers who didn't have much low-band (e.g. T-Mobile). Now comes along a high-band auction and T-Mobile wants the FCC to just ignore their existing ~200 MHz of high-band allocations.
    Yep totally hypocritical and also that auction was deemed a failure. Gee wonder why?

Of course Verizon wants to just be able to open their checkbook and buy it all.
    No way Verizon is going to buy all 280 MHz. That would cost at a bare minimum $25 bil and I can see the auction netting over $50 bil. Verizon isn't spending that and at&t certainly doesn't have that kind of cash.

Also in areas where only Verizon and at&t buy spectrum and you have a 100 MHz cap 80 MHz is just going to sit fallow and how does that help ANYONE?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just wait till you want to sign up for something, and it requires you to pick a new plan. The goal is like every other carriers goal, get as many customers they can on their most expensive offerings. Then when you get on that new plan, have fun paying extra for HD streaming, or anything over 3gb of LTE hotspot. Just because you are on a grandfathered plan, doesn't protect you from future price hikes. Their goal is to get you to pay more, not less. They are a business, not your best buddy. You are a business transaction to them, not a partner. They look out for their best interests, and theirs alone. Their best interest, is to make as much profit as possible. If other carriers raise rates, they will follow.

No one except T-Mobile haters claim people are best buddies with the T-Mobile network. People that don’t like T-Mobile just come here to attack anyone that is happy with T-Mobile and insult them with demeaning statement that are not true. T-Mobile has never raised my prices since I left AT&T for T-Mobile. I was under their simple choice plan and T-Mobile increased my data limit without raising my price unlike AT&T did to their customers in that article. Fact is I have unlimited every thing for less today than I had with the simple choice plan. If AT&T or Verizon is so great then why do so many of their customers come to this board to attack and insult T-Mobile customers?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Really then why did the government try to stop T-Mobile and the Sprint merger? After all the combined New T-Mobile will be still be #3 and AT&T plus Verizon have over 90% of the revenue in mobile service. Everyone’s opposition against the merger was going from 4 networks to three. It is the governments job to provide a fair chance for all the other networks including Dish, USC and Cspire to get their share of spectrum in a Government Spectrum Auction. It is the job of of the government to control competition in individual industry organizations to prevent price fixing for service.
    The federal government didnt stop the merger. Or even try to! If the feds wanted to block it, it wouldn't have happened. What the hell are you blathering about?

A few communist (NY, CA, etc.) states seriosuly tried to block it. But they are overstepping their bounds by trying to abuse their power and extort private businesses into kowtowing to them.

Let the market handle itself. Stop crying to mommy government to make things fair.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The federal government didnt stop the merger. Or even try to! If the feds wanted to block it, it wouldn't have happened. What the hell are you blathering about?

A few communist (NY, CA, etc.) states seriosuly tried to block it. But they are overstepping their bounds by trying to abuse their power and extort private businesses into kowtowing to them.

Let the market handle itself. Stop crying to mommy government to make things fair.

I guess you missed that part where the DOJ required that T-Mobile and Sprint make concessions like sell off customers, spectrum and provide their network as a roaming network to helping a new competitor in Dish Networks to undercut the New T-Mobile. Despite the New T-Mobile being the #3 Mobile network behind Verizon and AT&T that has over 90% of the revenue in the industry. That is the Government owned spectrum that should be for all the people not just the ones on AT&T and Verizon.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I guess you missed that part where the DOJ required that T-Mobile and Sprint make concessions like sell off customers, spectrum and provide their network as a roaming network to helping a new competitor in Dish Networks to undercut the New T-Mobile. Despite the New T-Mobile being the #3 Mobile network behind Verizon and AT&T that has over 90% of the revenue in the industry. That is the Government owned spectrum that should be for all the people not just the ones on AT&T and Verizon.

Feedback Score
    No one except T-Mobile haters claim people are best buddies with the T-Mobile network. People that don’t like T-Mobile just come here to attack anyone that is happy with T-Mobile and insult them with demeaning statement that are not true. T-Mobile has never raised my prices since I left AT&T for T-Mobile. I was under their simple choice plan and T-Mobile increased my data limit without raising my price unlike AT&T did to their customers in that article. Fact is I have unlimited every thing for less today than I had with the simple choice plan. If AT&T or Verizon is so great then why do so many of their customers come to this board to attack and insult T-Mobile customers?
    This post is nonsensical. Stop playing the victim. People who act like they are best buddies with whatever carrier they use deserve to be called out on it. As they say, if the shoe fits.

Great, glad you are happy with your current plan, but sitting here wishing that verizon and at&t raised prices is nonsensical, all it would lead to is higher prices across the board for all 3 carriers. Again, stop playing the victim thinking everyone is attacking you best friend.

Feedback Score

Those hotbeds of communism such as Mississippi, Virginia and Wisconsin. Lmao. See kids, this is what happens when you let older relatives play on facebook, he joins one of those groups with some eagle logo and freedom in the title, and everybody becomes a communist to him. The irony is....most of those groups are ran by foreign entities........

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    T-Mobile has plenty of mmwave. I'm not sure what you are talking about. Anyone that thing that T-Mobile should get access to nearly 200 MHz of 2.5 GHz all by itself but Verizon and at&t should be limited to 100 MHz of C-band is being a huge hypocrite
    Nothing about this merger is for competition for him. It’s about “my team is better than your team”...

Let whatever company pick up what they want. T-Mobile will have 160-200 MHz of BRS spectrum to play with nationally. That’s half to over half of what’s being auctioned in C band. T-Mobile will have more postpaid subs than AT&T after this merger. Is this about creating a mega company to spite AT&T and Verizon, who have seemingly killed some people’s children, or about making a more competitive market?

I think AT&T should be forced to shed DTV and whatever content they’ve pursued. I don’t like giant corporations anymore than the next person. They provide me good service for a low cost (thanks to T-Mobile themselves) and I am more than willing to switch to T-Mobile or Verizon if they offer a better product. Pricing is already at a stalemate as is.

This merger will light a fire under AT&T and Verizon’s asses to up network spending. That’s a no brainer. How Verizon plans to compete with 1/3 the spectrum will be interesting. AT&T has a fighting chance with about half. CBRS could get Verizon another 30-40 MHz of licensed... or AT&T. Remember that spectrum costs money, as does buying debt ridden companies.

We’ll see how prices are in 5 years. I’m willing to bet more expensive than today.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Those hotbeds of communism such as Mississippi, ........
    Mississippi may not be a "hotbed of communism" but we are pretty big on frivolous law suits and jackpot justice, and had a litigious AG who was running for governor.
    Donald Newcomb

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast