Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Verizon, T-Mobile bicker over C-band auction rules

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I realized that, I was just offering another way to fairly provide spectrum to all carriers since some feel the government should empliment rules to make the auction fair. Isn't the point of an auction is the highest bidder wins whatever is being auctioned? To place limits on it you might as well not have an auction at all and just give it away evenly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    That's not how auctions work. And in some areas the ONLY carriers are at&t and Verizon
    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    I realized that, I was just offering another way to fairly provide spectrum to all carriers since some feel the government should empliment rules to make the auction fair. Isn't the point of an auction is the highest bidder wins whatever is being auctioned? To place limits on it you might as well not have an auction at all and just give it away evenly.

well the 600 MHz auction had special rules that prevented at&t and Verizon from bidding in certain areas which I'm sure was reason why they didn't bother to participate. I mean if you can't buy spectrum in NY, LA Chicago etc? Why bother participating in the auction? Both Dish and to a lesser extent Comcast got quite a bit of 600 MHz spectrum NONE of which has been deployed 3 years later and who knows when it will be. Not to mention all the spectrum speculators got. I'm pretty sure Verizon and at&t would be deploying that spectrum.

There is no way in the c-band would giving it away results in enough revenue to pay satellite companies to move off that spectrum. Not to mention satisfying lawmakers

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    I would love see what T-Mobile would say if he said he would stop paying his bill? “Gee shilocane that’s ok, you always defend us on hofo. This one is on us”. Go pound sand comes to mind.
    LOL... I guess all the T-Mobile haters are upset that the merger was approved and T-Mobile will be even a better competitor that will steals more customers from the two other overpriced and overrated networks. I am a Happy T-Mobile customers that has the best network in my area for the cheapest price.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    well the 600 MHz auction had special rules that prevented at&t and Verizon from bidding in certain areas which I'm sure was reason why they didn't bother to participate. I mean if you can't buy spectrum in NY, LA Chicago etc? Why bother participating in the auction? Both Dish and to a lesser extent Comcast got quite a bit of 600 MHz spectrum NONE of which has been deployed 3 years later and who knows when it will be. Not to mention all the spectrum speculators got. I'm pretty sure Verizon and at&t would be deploying that spectrum.

There is no way in the c-band would giving it away results in enough revenue to pay satellite companies to move off that spectrum. Not to mention satisfying lawmakers
    Really more slanted bad information Mixed with some truth. AT&T purchased around $1 billion worth of 600MHz licenses, but sold all of those licenses. Analysts believe it’s because AT&T no longer needs that low-band spectrum because it is getting FirstNet’s 20 MHz of nationwide 700 MHz spectrum.

Verizon never made one bid on 600 MHz spectrum licenses that is still available from many speculators that betting on making a profit. Verizon bet on mmWave spectrum and out bid AT&T on a ton of mmWave spectrum licenses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    LOL... I guess all the T-Mobile haters are upset that the merger was approved and T-Mobile will be even a better competitor that will steals more customers from the two other overpriced and overrated networks. I am a Happy T-Mobile customers that has the best network in my area for the cheapest price.
    Just for clarification. Not a hater, pro-merger for the same reason you wanted it. So T-Mobile will motivate Verizon's and at&t to improve plans and pricing. Difference being I'm not so blindingly loyal I feel the need to spread misinformation to prop up "my team". I don't have a team to begin with, which is another difference.

Feedback Score
    Really more slanted bad information Mixed with some truth. AT&T purchased around $1 billion worth of 600MHz licenses, but sold all of those licenses. Analysts believe it’s because AT&T no longer needs that low-band spectrum because it is getting FirstNet’s 20 MHz of nationwide 700 MHz spectrum.
    You think $1 bil would have been enough to have nationwide coverage? Analyst who are always wrong? The same ones that predicted the recent auction 103 would only bring in $2 maybe $3 billion. Meanwhile I predicted around $7.5 bil, Actual amount $7,561,724,774. Gee I guess I was just lucky that my guess was 99.2% of the actual amount. I should play the lottery.

Verizon never made one bid on 600 MHz spectrum licenses that is still available from many speculators that betting on making a profit.
    You think those speculators have enough spectrum to cover nationwide? Anything short of 10X10 MHz in every PEA is pointless. And Verizon never would have been able to do that with the auction rules T-Mobile conned the FCC to make.

Verizon bet on mmWave spectrum and out bid AT&T on a ton of mmWave spectrum licenses.
    T-Mobile has bought a lot of mmwave too. Why the hate? Let me know when you can talk like an adult and be reasonable instead of just just stating "T-Mobile is good and perfect and has no flaws and everyone else is bad and evil and sucks"

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Verizon, T-Mobile bicker over C-band auction rules

I don’t give rats *** about the merger. It doesn’t change my life one way another. I still gotta go to work the next day. I’m not in love with my carrier. They provide a reliable service at a descent price. If that changes then I will look at other options. I just find you hilarious! You act like T-Mobile does no wrong and is perfect. And if some criticizes your wireless love child, you accuse them of hate. Do you realize how ignorant you sound. As someone already pointed all three carriers are in business to make money. Their not there to make the fanboys all warm and fuzzy.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Oh ok I wondered why att and vzw didn't have any 600Mhz. Are all spectrum auctions based on PEAs only? When does REAs, MTAs, BTAs come into play? Or am I confused about something.?

Idk maybe the government should limit how much spectrum a carrier can have in any given market. It would seem unfair if for example vzw purchased all C-Band spectrum in the NY so that no other carrier could have C-band in NY

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Just a reminder folks, personal attacks are not tolerated here. Stick to the topic, and leave each other out of it.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    I'm not sure why you think verizon and at&t raising rates is a good thing. All it means is tmobile will also raise rates.
    There is no assurance that will happen. If T-Mobile's goal was to increase market share, they would leave their rates the same in the face of Verizon and AT&T rasing their rates.

This notion that tmobile shareholders don't care about making as much profit as humanly possible is nonsensical.
    Different pricing leads to different profits. It's never as simple as higher prices equals more profits. The formula is more complicated than that.

Lower prices can also lead to more profits. Lower prices leads to more sales and while there's lower profit on each sale, when multiplied by the higher quantity of sales, the total profit is greater.

The bottom line is that it can't be stated with any certainty that a price hike by Verizon and AT&T would lead to a T-Mobile price hike.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Oh ok I wondered why att and vzw didn't have any 600Mhz. Are all spectrum auctions based on PEAs only? When does REAs, MTAs, BTAs come into play? Or am I confused about something.?
    It depends the 24 and 28 GHz auctions that happen last year were on the county level. I believe the CBRS and maybe C-band auctions are supposed to be on the county level also. The current 37/39 47 GHz auction are PEA.

Idk maybe the government should limit how much spectrum a carrier can have in any given market. It would seem unfair if for example vzw purchased all C-Band spectrum in the NY so that no other carrier could have C-band in NY
    It's doubtful Verizon would have the cash to do that. Also what about areas where only at&t and Verizon even offer service? And if there is say a 100 MHz limit then you let 80 MHz just sit fallow going unused? Who does that help?

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Also what about areas where only at&t and Verizon even offer service? And if there is say a 100 MHz limit then you let 80 MHz just sit fallow going unused? Who does that help?
    It certainly helps no one, but arguably, in such an area where only two carriers have bothered to build a network, it's unlikely the population is dense enough to fully utilize those two carriers' combined 200 MHz, much less the leftover 80.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    ******** Sidebar *********
    Thanks guys for making this thread a thread of the week!!!
    Name:  SmartSelect_20200224-115619.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  58.4 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    When you say a 100Mhz limit, are u saying that's all of the spectrum available or the government has place a limit of 100Mhz on said spectrum.?

PEAs are at county level, I didn't know that. So carriers would have to bid for spectrum in each county in a given market? That seems very tedious.
    It depends the 24 and 28 GHz auctions that happen last year were on the county level. I believe the CBRS and maybe C-band auctions are supposed to be on the county level also. The current 37/39 47 GHz auction are PEA.

It's doubtful Verizon would have the cash to do that. Also what about areas where only at&t and Verizon even offer service? And if there is say a 100 MHz limit then you let 80 MHz just sit fallow going unused? Who does that help?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    There is no assurance that will happen. If T-Mobile's goal was to increase market share, they would leave their rates the same in the face of Verizon and AT&T rasing their rates.

Different pricing leads to different profits. It's never as simple as higher prices equals more profits. The formula is more complicated than that.

Lower prices can also lead to more profits. Lower prices leads to more sales and while there's lower profit on each sale, when multiplied by the higher quantity of sales, the total profit is greater.

The bottom line is that it can't be stated with any certainty that a price hike by Verizon and AT&T would lead to a T-Mobile price hike.
    This only applies if cost of service remains equal. With a MNO there is no cost per user, it's tied up in overhead and the network. If those costs increase, you don't make more profit per user if you keep prices the same, you make less. Price increases are generally the result of a companies price increasing to provide service to that customer, I mean investors aren't going to eat that added cost. With carriers spending more to provide service, they all would have zero qualms about getting that money back from their customers. If Verizon and at&t raised rates, TMobile would also raise rates.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast