Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ZTE Z723EL Home Phone Activation

Feedback Score

ZTE Z723EL Home Phone Activation

Replacing elderly parents H258C with the Z723EL. When I set up the old unit several years ago, I was able to check the cell signal prior to activating the unit. Tried to do the same with the Z723EL. It is powered and charged and the sim is in place. Antenna indicator is solid red displaying no signal. ST Reps informed me that I must activate unit in order to receive signal. Is that accurate information? My parents depend on the phone in case of emergency so I don't want to activate and learn the unit is defective.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Lots of the LTE only devices like this one are like this. Even an unactivated MyFlip which is another LTE only device does this too. I am not sure with other devices tho.

Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity on this device;

Why does ST offer plans for it that also include data? (unless you can plug it into a computer??)

Also can you keep it plugged into power all the time so you don't need to be concerned with re-charging? After all, it's a home phone.
    I know cells phones can be used plugged to power all the time; only downside I've ever heard is it may diminish overall battery life to some degree.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jagator View Post
    Replacing elderly parents H258C with the Z723EL. When I set up the old unit several years ago, I was able to check the cell signal prior to activating the unit. Tried to do the same with the Z723EL. It is powered and charged and the sim is in place. Antenna indicator is solid red displaying no signal. ST Reps informed me that I must activate unit in order to receive signal. Is that accurate information? My parents depend on the phone in case of emergency so I don't want to activate and learn the unit is defective.
    I got one a couple of months ago. That's the way it works. You will not get an indication of signal level until you activate it.

Mine works well.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Out of curiosity on this device;

Why does ST offer plans for it that also include data? (unless you can plug it into a computer??)

Also can you keep it plugged into power all the time so you don't need to be concerned with re-charging? After all, it's a home phone.
    I know cells phones can be used plugged to power all the time; only downside I've ever heard is it may diminish overall battery life to some degree.
    They use to have this device: https://support.straighttalk.com/dev...e?device=23554

It had home phone and data usage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I got one a couple of months ago. That's the way it works. You will not get an indication of signal level until you activate it.

Mine works well.
    According to the quick set up guide, you need to dial 10 digits, even for local numbers. Is that your experience? Haven't had to do that with the older H285C. Will take some getting used to for local calls.

Feedback Score
    According to the quick set up guide, you need to dial 10 digits, even for local numbers. Is that your experience? Haven't had to do that with the older H285C. Will take some getting used to for local calls.
    I've been in the habit of dialing ten digits for everything for a long time after living in an area with overlay area codes where it was always required.

I just tried it with 7 digits and it worked.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    With my box, I can dial some numbers without the area code while others has to have the area code. My issue is my home phone box has a non-local number tho. It seems like the phone numbers with the same exchange code works without the area code tho.

Feedback Score
    Anyone have the direct number for ST Home Phone activation? The number listed online and on the product literature (1-800-299-7784) sends me to reps who are able to active "cell phones" and not the home device. I have talked and been transferred to 3 different reps. All three get into the account and see its a "home" phone device and say they are not able to assist and transfer me to someone else. Very frustrating. All I am trying to do is transfer my parents number on the older Huweii unit to the new ZTE device. These reps have me concerned because I can't take a chance with having them screw up my parents home phone line. They are in their 90's. This shouldn't be difficult.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried the online chat service? Do you happen to know if you have an online account for the box?

I have always had bad luck with their phone support systems.

Feedback Score
    Finally got someone who could activate it. What a fiasco. Not sure how the company stays in business. Now I need to take a couple extra strength tylenol and pray I don't have to deal with them again.

Feedback Score
    I was just told today by a ST rep that the Z723EL will no longer be good by the end of this year. Upon asking what would replace it, I was told to call some 1800 number for more info and then quickly disconnected from the chat session.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon405 View Post
    I was just told today by a ST rep that the Z723EL will no longer be good by the end of this year. Upon asking what would replace it, I was told to call some 1800 number for more info and then quickly disconnected from the chat session.
    The Z723EL is the new VoLTE model. That is what will work with Verizon past the end of this year (2020). I confirmed this with a call between my Verizon VoLTE phone and the Z723EL. My phone shows HD Voice. HD Voice is not shown unless both phones are using VoLTE.

A few months ago when I researched this the product page said it is CDMA. That is incorrect.

ST is a Tracfone company. Their CS reps are frequently wrong.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Plus the ZTE Z723EL is only LTE. I have looked at the specs from the FCC for it too.

Feedback Score
    @ bobdevnul & advcomp2019

You guys are correct. I noticed in the user manual from this page https://support.straighttalk.com/dev...e?device=24994 It says the Z723EL is LTE and no mention of CDMA anywhere in the manual or web page.

Not trying to spread any kind of dis-info or anything like that. I was only posting what a ST rep told me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast