Thread: USC CDMA sunset?

Feedback Score

USC CDMA sunset?

I only see CDMA sunset dates for the 4 major carriers. When is the end date for non-VoLTE activations and use on USC?

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    CDMA-only devices generally cannot be activated on new lines of service anymore, the exception being a select few models. There’s no set date for a CDMA shutdown, but there is a big push to get customers on VoLTE devices.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    That's the way it's been with the carriers and MVNOs. Just an urge to upgrade the phones without a set date. They likely don't want to commit, as the dates might change. Verizon backed off a whole year. Just about everything you see is from 3rd party sources. Sometimes you can get it from a CSR or dealer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    That's the way it's been with the carriers and MVNOs. Just an urge to upgrade the phones without a set date. They likely don't want to commit, as the dates might change. Verizon backed off a whole year. Just about everything you see is from 3rd party sources. Sometimes you can get it from a CSR or dealer.
    Makes perfect sense. See if I was an MVNO I’d just set a hard date saying my customers will need to have a VoLTE capable phone by XYZ date to continue service, without mentioning a CDMA sunset date. This way if my parent company changes their own sunset dates my customers would be prepared.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It's been a year now. Any news on USC's CDMA sunset? They seem to be the only network that still provides CDMA service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    It's been a year now. Any news on USC's CDMA sunset? They seem to be the only network that still provides CDMA service.
    I mean Verizon 100% backtracked "indefinitely" so who knows.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    One thing worth keeping in mind, US Cellular originally said (around 2019 or 2020) that they were intending to take until like 2024 to even complete their LTE + VoLTE rollout. They seriously ramped up the rollout when they realized they would have very few if any CDMA-supporting models to sell for the last several years of their original rollout plan.

In other words, I just don't see them rushing into things. If the CDMA is seeing any significant traffic and it's not in the way of anything I could see them just leaving it up indefinitely. The second scenario where they could leave it up indefinitely, the newer 4G/5G equipment uses software defined radios so they may even be able to remove the physical CDMA/EVDO hardware and keep CDMA/EVDO running with that (I could see doing that if it's "easy", if it's not easy it probably makes sense to just keep continuing to run some CDMA/EVDO with the existing hardware.)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    An issue of carrying a CDMA device without LTE/VOLTE for US Cellular customers is if they are traveling outside their local calling market. They won't be able to roam on other US carriers if they have already dropped CDMA from their towers/networks.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Samsung Galaxy S22, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Project Genesis (Dish), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    An issue of carrying a CDMA device without LTE/VOLTE for US Cellular customers is if they are traveling outside their local calling market. They won't be able to roam on other US carriers if they have already dropped CDMA from their towers/networks.
    I don’t think that is an major issue now, since most recent (say in the last 4 years) devices already support VoLTE. The only issue would be devices like my old, but still able to be activated, LG Logos, but most people won’t have that old of a device (I bought it in 2015) so that’s becoming a fringe case. VoLTE is a necessity now, I agree, but USCC has the device support for roaming elsewhere in place. They have an long term agreement with T-Mobile already (not including the old Sprint reciprocal agreement which may still be in force) and I suspect they either have one or will with Verizon in the next few months.

With the exception of the modem used in the Tensor/Pixel 6 series, most devices will still have CDMA capability for some time. I highly doubt Qualcomm will get rid of their cash cow licensing of it alongside Snapdragon Gen [X] chipsets anytime in the near term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT