Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should we let TFW/Verizon push new carrier settings to iPhone that uses Verizon?

Feedback Score

Should we let TFW/Verizon push new carrier settings to iPhone that uses Verizon?

I have an iPhone SE with Tracfone running over Verizon. I have been getting notices to allow new carrier settings. A few years ago I did this and TFW/Verizon installed a hidden, unremovable APN. That APN prevented my iPhone SE from getting data when using a foreign SIM. It was a lot of work using specialized software to get rid of it. Here is the old thread on the problem.

I am wondering if anyone has allowed the new carrier settings to be installed and then tried to use their phone outside of the US. Or have you done any other checking of your phone, like looking to see if there is a "Profile" showing up in Settings, right under VPN.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RandySea View Post
    I have an iPhone SE with Tracfone running over Verizon. I have been getting notices to allow new carrier settings. A few years ago I did this and TFW/Verizon installed a hidden, unremovable APN. That APN prevented my iPhone SE from getting data when using a foreign SIM. It was a lot of work using specialized software to get rid of it. Here is the old thread on the problem.

I am wondering if anyone has allowed the new carrier settings to be installed and then tried to use their phone outside of the US. Or have you done any other checking of your phone, like looking to see if there is a "Profile" showing up in Settings, right under VPN.

I installed the carrier update 2 weeks ago on my two Tracfone branded iPhones - a Tracfone iPhone SE and 6S.
    The update takes you to TFW version 40.1.

I haven't used phone outside of US and VPN in Settings/General just shows "Not connected" so I can't comment much on this issue.

But I did see another issue/change right away with VVM (Visual Voice Mail). The carrier update made two changes to it:

1. Normally when you have cellular data set to off and Wi-Fi set to on and then go to the voicemail screen in the phone app/dialer, it shows the message "visual voicemail is currently unavailable" which makes sense since cellular data must be on for the phone to receive VVM.

After carrier update, this screen no longer has this message with Wi-Fi on and data off. It's just blank as if you had cellular data on. If you turn both cellular data and Wi-Fi off, then you will see the message. The function is the same though in that with cellular data set to off VVM does not work.

2. If you receive a voicemail with data off, and you see the missed call, and then turn cellular data on to see if you have a voicemail, now it is often slower to grab the message. Before it was instant. Now I've found it can take up to a couple of minutes.

This annoyed me. I've never been a big fan of VVM though I've been using it for the past year with no issue on my iPhones and it works fine for the most part.

First I tried to see if I could fix it with phone restart, network settings reset and some other things as well as calling in to TF support. Nothing fixed it.

So then I called in to TF support and asked to be connected to a supervisor with the account tools. I then had them disable VVM on my iPhone SE account and enable basic voicemail (I've done this many times in the past). So the rep did it, and now I use Basic VM on my iPhone SE. This works fine and has the benefit of giving me instant voicemail notifications with cellular data set to off. I like to turn data off when not in use to save battery and data. I've left VVM active on my iPhone 6S account since I use that phone less and I want to continue to watch to see how VVM behaves on it.

The one bad thing about doing this - disabling VVM and enabling Basic VM - is that any account update (add minutes etc) will make Basic VM revert back to VVM. This is because account updates cause a reload of the default account configuration which includes VVM (tier three rep volunteered this info to me the other day and I told him - yes I've noticed that). So then you would need to call in again to get it changed back to Basic VM. My iPhone SE is topped up so I won't need to add minutes/time for a long time so this is not an issue for me.

The VVM issue is not that bad.. if you have cellular data on all the time the messages will drop into the VVM/voicemail section instantly like before. It's only with cellular data off and then turned on I've seen delays which is different. As well as the missing "visual voicemail is currently unavailable" message in the voicemail section of the phone app dialer with cellular data off, Wi-Fi on.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, lappers.

I have plenty of data left over for VVM, which I do like. So I will let that carrier update go through. But first, I'll do a backup. That way if anything goes wrong, I can restore the phone to the pre-carrier update.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, it doesn't really use much data.
    GL with the update.
    Last edited by tomseys; 02-19-2020 at 11:03 PM.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Any drawbacks to not getting the carrier update? I just got the notice.
    I'm on Tracfone with a GSM/AT&T sim in my iPhone 7+ that I recently activated (last week).
    iPhone 7 Plus on Tracfone BYOP.
    I hate Apple. (I really miss Android)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
    I'm on Tracfone with a GSM/AT&T sim in my iPhone 7+ that I recently activated (last week).
    Interesting question. The problem is that we don't know what the carrier update actually does.

It is also curious that you got an update notice with AT&T as your carrier while this thread has only been talking about getting the notice when Verizon is our carrier. This suggests that the update might be related to the VoLTE standards. It's what AT&T and Verizon now have in common. Before this, AT&T was just GSM and Verizon was CDMA. But really, that is just a guess on my part.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I thought it was curious, mostly because I just activated it a week ago. I would have thought it would have applied the newest settings then as it wasn't a TracFone before I activated it.

Feedback Score
    In case you're referring to "Carrier Services", that is a Google app. It updated on my TF/ATT phones in the last couple of days.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.ims&hl=en_US

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    In case you're referring to "Carrier Services", that is a Google app. It updated on my TF/ATT phones in the last couple of days.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.ims&hl=en_US
    No, these are carrier settings on our iPhones. Nothing to do with Android or any google app.

Feedback Score
    Can anyone give me an email address for Howard Forums? I am getting error messages here when I post, but at least the post goes through.

I tried to report this in the feedback forum but I am completely blocked when I try to post there. The tagline of the error page is
    Cloudflare Ray ID: 568ce60b8e56ed67

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RandySea View Post
    Can anyone give me an email address for Howard Forums? I am getting error messages here when I post, but at least the post goes through.

I tried to report this in the feedback forum but I am completely blocked when I try to post there. The tagline of the error page is
    Cloudflare Ray ID: 568ce60b8e56ed67

Maybe you could PM: frail

He is administrator.

Is it this issue:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...osting-a-reply

Added: I am getting a blocked message now too:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  27.1 KB

I posted in that thread about this.

Added: the error/blocked messages might be related to some forum testing they are doing.
    Last edited by tomseys; 02-21-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    Yes, that other thread applies to me, too. I'll just wait til they finish the testing.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Any thoughts/answers to this? I have been holding off on getting it. I get a notice a few times a day.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Any thoughts/answers to this? I have been holding off on getting it. I get a notice a few times a day.
    Well that's one of the drawbacks, the nags to update. I bought a new iPhone SE and set it up. Right out of the box it was nagging me to update the carrier settings without having activated it. I left it charged to about 50% and put it back in the box without updating the carrier settings. I will leave it on the side to use in future if necessary hoping a new update will have fixed the issues with VVM that I have seen with this update. I don't know and I don't think anybody including the TF reps know exactly what the update does or how necessary it is for correct ongoing TF service. I know that if i could go back in time and disable the prompts to update, I would not update it, and just maintain a wait and see position, but that's me.

I haven't read many/any complaints about the update though other than my own ramblings.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. I'm of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it." school so I've been holding out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast