Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BYOD phone activated on Prepaid?

Feedback Score

BYOD phone activated on Prepaid?

Friend wants to buy a compatible phone, put it on Verizon Prepaid, and port a number over from Sprint.

How do you start a new Verizon Prepaid account with a BYOD phone? The local stores will not do anything unless you buy a phone from them. And almost no support for Prepaid accounts, even the corporate stores.

What are the online options?

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, the first thing you'll need is a Verizon prepaid SIM card. When I ported to Verizon prepaid last year I purchased the SIM at my local Walmart store as well as a plan card for the first month. Then just activate the SIM & start the porting process online. That's probably the easiest & fastest way to get start new prepaid service with a BYOD.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-B...lack/639501242

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I see that the SIM kits are in stock at some of my local local Walmarts.
    Present phone is an iPhone 5 which is not VoLTE capable, so needs to be upgraded for Verizon service. They like the small size, so the choice might be an iPhone SE. Not sure if they want to stay with Apple, but that is another issue. I am not aware of a Verizon compatible Android phone in that size (4" screen).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Thanks! I see that the SIM kits are in stock at some of my local local Walmarts. Present phone is an iPhone 5 which is not VoLTE capable, so needs to be upgraded for Verizon service. They like the small size, so the choice might be an iPhone SE. Not sure if they want to stay with Apple, but that is another issue. I am not aware of a Verizon compatible Android phone in that size (4" screen).
    would this phone work - https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZTE-Citrine...ss!64628!US!-1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Probably not.

First, it's a TF model, and is probably locked to TF.

Second, it was released in January, 2016, so it probably isn't VoLTE/HD Voice compatible.

Feedback Score
    The Moto e5 play is slightly larger than the iPhone 5....but it "feels" like a small phone. Verizon also sells it as a "phone in a box" for prepaid for around $50 and it comes with a sim already installed.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by husavik View Post
    The Moto e5 play is slightly larger than the iPhone 5....but it "feels" like a small phone. Verizon also sells it as a "phone in a box" for prepaid for around $50 and it comes with a sim already installed.
    No, the Moto E5 Play is a fair amount larger than an iPhone 5/SE. Somewhat larger than an iPhone 6s, or the Moto G5 Plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    First, it's a TF model, and is probably locked to TF.

Second, it was released in January, 2016, so it probably isn't VoLTE/HD Voice compatible.
    Correct on both points. There were a number of older phones that were smaller than what you see today, but none VoLTE capable. The iPhone SE and 6s are popular if you want something with an under 5" screen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    No, the Moto E5 Play is a fair amount larger than an iPhone 5/SE. Somewhat larger than an iPhone 6s, or the Moto G5 Plus.
    If the size matters so much, then buy a 4 year old phone (SE) with a 4 year old crapped out battery for more money than a new phone.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Then just activate the SIM & start the porting process online. That's probably the easiest & fastest way to get start new prepaid service with a BYOD.
    Once you get the account, I assume you can then turn it into auto-pay? Looks like the My Verizon app is downloadable if you don't have a Verizon branded phone, or I guess you can access the account online?

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If the size matters so much, then buy a 4 year old phone (SE) with a 4 year old crapped out battery for more money than a new phone.....
    SE's in good condition can be had for around $100, and if the batteries are bad, Apple will replace them for $50.

I'm not an Apple guy (at ALL!) but there is not a single decent Android phone in that size to be had at any price, unfortunately. (And god do I wish there was!)

If size is the primary consideration, you can't do better than the iPhone SE, unfortunately. I just replaced my daughter's broken one two weeks ago. There is nothing comparable in that size.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Battery replacement is not very expensive for earlier model iPhones. Am not an iPhone fan, but will give credit to their longevity. They also get many OS upgrades, unlike Android phones. My Moto G5 Plus only got one OS upgrade and a couple of security patches before Lenovo cut it off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    SE's in good condition can be had for around $100, and if the batteries are bad, Apple will replace them for $50.
    Still a lot of new ones available for a bit more than that. Still could have battery issues though. Li-ion batteries don't like to be stored uncharged.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    One thing to watch out for, besides the battery life concern, is the SE likely reaching "EoL" status on iOS this year. App developers will eventually drop support of the device, but that probably won't become problematic for a couple years.

Sent from my HD1905 using HoFo mobile app
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    One thing to watch out for, besides the battery life concern, is the SE likely reaching "EoL" status on iOS this year. App developers will eventually drop support of the device, but that probably won't become problematic for a couple years.
    Many I know don't use 3rd party apps. Just whatever came on the phone, and not much of that. Not sure about iOS, but I find the constant Android app upgrades obnoxious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast