Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NY blinks, drops their objections to the merger

Feedback Score

NY blinks, drops their objections to the merger

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN20A0MS

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York on Sunday dropped its fight against the $40 billion merger of U.S. wireless carriers T-Mobile US Inc (TMUS.O) and Sprint Corp (S.N), saying the state would not appeal a judge’s approval of the deal.

New York Attorney General Letitia James said her office would end the court challenge to the 2018 merger agreement between the third- and fourth-largest U.S. wireless carriers.

Instead, she said her office hopes “to work with all the parties to ensure that consumers get the best pricing and service possible, that networks are built out throughout our state, and that good-paying jobs are created here in New York.”
    There's no way Kalifornia will continue to stand in the way.

Legere will go out with a bang.

Device(s)
    Looking for new one
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN20A0MS

There's no way Kalifornia will continue to stand in the way.

Legere will go out with a bang.
    Can’t believe she now wants to negotiate. They all had their chance before taking this to court.

Feedback Score
    she HOPES to have an influence on how T'Sprint serves her constituents.

That's not negotiating. That's straight up "OK, uncle!"

T'Sprint must have offered her a call center somewhere.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n33d0n3 View Post
    Can’t believe she now wants to negotiate. They all had their chance before taking this to court.
    It probably gave them more leverage to negotiate since they could potentially hold this merger up for another year or two on appeal and if that fails they can slow walk the California PSC approval. I would assume their will be some deal for the states who sued so they can save face in order to avoid having their deal approval delayed by another year or two on appeal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    It probably gave them more leverage to negotiate since they could potentially hold this merger up for another year or two on appeal and if that fails they can slow walk the California PSC approval. I would assume their will be some deal for the states who sued so they can save face in order to avoid having their deal approval delayed by another year or two on appeal.
    From what I read, an appeal can't delay the deal unless the courts issue a stay which is highly unlikely. So they really have no leverage. T-Mobile can and should tell them to buzz off.

Feedback Score
    Instead, she said her office hopes “to work with all the parties to ensure that consumers get the best pricing and service possible, that networks are built out throughout our state, and that good-paying jobs are created here in New York.”
    Yeah T-Mobile tried to do BEFORE the trial and you decided to be the C-word about it. So T-Mobile has ZERO obligation to offer you ANYTHING. The NY AG is like a criminal asking for plea deal AFTER they are found guilty by the jury.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Yeah T-Mobile tried to do BEFORE the trial and you decided to be the C-word about it. So T-Mobile has ZERO obligation to offer you ANYTHING. The NY AG is like a criminal asking for plea deal AFTER they are found guilty by the jury.
    Oh, agreed 100%--especially since this is the New York State Attorney General. Those people thinks their stuff doesn't stink.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    I disagreed. I didn't read the AG's quote "we hope to work with all the parties..." as an attempt to continue negotiations after losing, but rather as a veiled threat that NY intends to hold New T-Mo to all the promises they made to the court to seal the deal, since the Fed's track record on following up on these types of merger concessions isn't particularly good.

I applaud the states' AG's for taking a shot, but also applaud NY's for quitting when she knows she's beaten, rather than waste further resources on both sides.

(And, for what's it worth, VERY not cool suggesting the "C-word" as a descriptor for Ms. James, since I REALLY doubt you'd have used that particular word if the DA wasn't a woman. Why not stick to gender neutral baseless insults in the future? Win or lose, the DA was doing her job. The only one being a "C-word" here is you.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I didn't read the AG's quote "we hope to work with all the parties..." as an attempt to continue negotiations after losing, but rather as a veiled threat
    Let her make threats, veiled or not. She lost. All she did was delay T-Mobile's implementation of steps which will improve their network by combining the resources and assets of both companies. The network progress would have been much further along if she had not become involved with her frivolous lawsuit. She is directly responsible for causing Sprint and T-Mobile customers to have worse service today than they otherwise would have had.

Feedback Score
    I disagreed. I didn't read the AG's quote "we hope to work with all the parties..." as an attempt to continue negotiations after losing, but rather as a veiled threat that NY intends to hold New T-Mo to all the promises they made to the court to seal the deal, since the Fed's track record on following up on these types of merger concessions isn't particularly good.
    Disagree. Her gun is empty, and that was a hail Mary stand for her to take to try to save face.

I applaud the states' AG's for taking a shot, but also applaud NY's for quitting when she knows she's beaten, rather than waste further resources on both sides.
    Not only beaten, but admitted herself to be rendered impotent. Not a thing she may say from here on out will have any effect on T-Mo.

(And, for what's it worth, VERY not cool suggesting the "C-word" as a descriptor for Ms. James, since I REALLY doubt you'd have used that particular word if the DA wasn't a woman.
    You don't know that, but you CHOSE to take offense--AND to declare it to the world, as if the offense you took is meaningful.

It isn't. Stick to the topic at hand.

And for the record, we all know that the male AGs who opposed this are p-words.

Why not stick to gender neutral baseless insults in the future? Win or lose, the DA was doing her job. The only one being a "C-word" here is you.)
    I would argue that she was NOT doing "her job," but rather sticking her nose in where it didn't belong--and wasting the state taxpayers' monies.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Let her make threats, veiled or not. She lost. All she did was delay T-Mobile's implementation of steps which will improve their network by combining the resources and assets of both companies. The network progress would have been much further along if she had not become involved with her frivolous lawsuit. She is directly responsible for causing Sprint and T-Mobile customers to have worse service today than they otherwise would have had.
    This right here.

She had zero standing to object, but she stuck her public nose in it anyway because she wanted the publicity and to be seen by her constituents as "doing something". They all know better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    She had zero standing to object, but she stuck her public nose in it anyway because she wanted the publicity and to be seen by her constituents as "doing something". They all know better.
    The constituents do NOT know better, or they would stop voting in jerks like this. Reminds me of Kamala Harris when she was AG of Kalifornia.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

(And, for what's it worth, VERY not cool suggesting the "C-word" as a descriptor for Ms. James, since I REALLY doubt you'd have used that particular word if the DA wasn't a woman. Why not stick to gender neutral baseless insults in the future? Win or lose, the DA was doing her job. The only one being a "C-word" here is you.)

I'm sure he meant communist.

That's the first thing that pops into my head when I hear NY or CA.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I'm sure he meant communist. ....
    I don't know. Since he didn't actually say, it's pretty much up to the reader to fill the blank with what every garbage is floating around the gutters of his own mind. I think, "Crispy". That's all I get.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

It’s a forum full of angry boomers, we are not really talking about the pillars of society here, so while I fully agree with you, sometimes it’s not worth the effort to try to debate it. Just say, ok boomer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast