Thread: Looking for dual-sim/dual LTE Standby smartphone with VoLTE support on T-Mobile

Feedback Score

Looking for dual-sim/dual LTE Standby smartphone with VoLTE support on T-Mobile

Looking for dual-sim/dual LTE Standby smartphone with VoLTE support on T-Mobile.

Must support

2G GSM 1900 MHZ
    3G UMTS Bands 2,4,5
    4G LTE 2,4,5 (Bands 12 and 71 are optional)
    T-Mobile's VoLTE is MUST

The phone will be used for European SIM cards in roaming within US for voice calls and text messages.

Camera/CPU/Memory specs not important
    CDMA support not needed

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Looking for dual-sim/dual LTE Standby smartphone with VoLTE support on T-Mobile.

Must support

2G GSM 1900 MHZ
    3G UMTS Bands 2,4,5
    4G LTE 2,4,5 (Bands 12 and 71 are optional)
    T-Mobile's VoLTE is MUST

The phone will be used for European SIM cards in roaming within US for voice calls and text messages.

Camera/CPU/Memory specs not important
    CDMA support not needed
    Slightly off topic but I didn’t think European providers didn’t support VoLTE roaming in the US?

My UK sims roaming in the US don’t get VoLTE on T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    >Slightly off topic but I didn’t think European providers didn’t support VoLTE roaming in the US?

Hence the dual-SIM.

>4G LTE 2,4,5 (Bands 12 and 71 are optional)

T-Mo VoLTE cert requires B12, maybe B71 by now. Most phones sold in US have B12 anyway.

>2G GSM 1900 MHZ
    >3G UMTS Bands 2,4,5

T-Mo deprecated 2G and probably 3G to almost nothing now.

Weird request. Anyway, most Chinese phones should cover the specs. Paging ShredFred...

OIC where OP is coming from...his previous post.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Paging ShredFred....
    Lol! Tired of repeating myself.....

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I'd suggest trying the Umidigi F2, or even a lower end but 2019/2020 model Umidigi. But buy it via Amazon where you can return it easily if it doesn't meet your expectations

Feedback Score
    Oneplus 7, 7Pro, or 7T

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    OP is worried about 2G/3G roaming for his oversea acquaintances, and AT&T requirement of "approved" phones for VoLTE use. So he has the idea of using dual-SIM for T-Mo side.

Which is fine, but the reality is that 2G/3G roaming on T-Mo is already sucking, badly. If oversea poke will actually be traipsing around the countryside, he'll need both B12 and B71 low-bands for wide coverage. Both of those have no 2G/3G, only 4G and now 5G. Relying on T-Mo B2/4/5 will be a miserable experience. There ain't no there, there.

T-Mo itself will be undergoing heavy transformation, having now swallowed Sprint and its massive mid-band spectrum. The next few years will see T-Mo phones with B26 (850MHz) and B41 (2.5GHz) being rolled out, for LTE and 5G NR. Takeaway: Don't buy expensive phone for T-Mo, because it'll be obsoleted within 2 years. Like these below,

>Oneplus 7, 7Pro, or 7T

(That's also true to a lesser extent for AT&T and VZW. 5G will be a work-in-progress, and you don't want to be caught with early, "beta" phones.)

OP's idea of going with T-Mo and dual-SIM is fine, but you do want B12/71. Get cheap Chinese phone with both, and get a Mint SIM for them whenever oversea pokes show up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    OP is worried about 2G/3G roaming for his oversea acquaintances, and AT&T requirement of "approved" phones for VoLTE use. So he has the idea of using dual-SIM for T-Mo side.

Which is fine, but the reality is that 2G/3G roaming on T-Mo is already sucking, badly. If oversea poke will actually be traipsing around the countryside, he'll need both B12 and B71 low-bands for wide coverage. Both of those have no 2G/3G, only 4G and now 5G. Relying on T-Mo B2/4/5 will be a miserable experience. There ain't no there, there.

T-Mo itself will be undergoing heavy transformation, having now swallowed Sprint and its massive mid-band spectrum. The next few years will see T-Mo phones with B26 (850MHz) and B41 (2.5GHz) being rolled out, for LTE and 5G NR. Takeaway: Don't buy expensive phone for T-Mo, because it'll be obsoleted within 2 years. Like these below,

>Oneplus 7, 7Pro, or 7T

(That's also true to a lesser extent for AT&T and VZW. 5G will be a work-in-progress, and you don't want to be caught with early, "beta" phones.)

OP's idea of going with T-Mo and dual-SIM is fine, but you do want B12/71. Get cheap Chinese phone with both, and get a Mint SIM for them whenever oversea pokes show up.
    Those three OnePlus phones support bands 26 and 41 as well as current T-Mobile bands. (See GSMArena)

Feedback Score
    >Those three OnePlus phones support bands 26 and 41 as well as current T-Mobile bands.

OnePlus 7 isn't sold in US, so it's moot. Of the other two, Sprint only supports the 7 Pro, not the 7T.

Put another way, band support doesn't mean much. Phones need to be certified for whatever criteria the provider sets. Whenever T-Mo rolls out phones with the newly-acquired spectrum, it will have new certs for those bands, for its implementations of 5G/VoLTE/etc, not Sprint's.

Since 7 Pro is flagship, OnePlus may or may not make the effort to get new certs. My rule of thumb is never count on forward compatibility.

The Qualcomm X50 5G modem in the 7 Pro is 1st-gen and is already obsoleted vs X55 for 2020. To wit, X50 only supports TDD bands, not FDD, which means it doesn't work on most current carrier bands which use FDD.

http://androidcentral.com/qualcomm-x...ant-5gs-future

X55 will itself be superceded when Qualcomm et al move the modem into the SoC (as opposed to standalone) for increased power efficiency, along with other improvements. 5G is a fast-moving target.

http://phonearena.com/news/Qualcomm-...-2020_id118721

I expect Sprint-compatible phones will continue working for the next 3-5 yrs as legacy LTE devices. Now that Sprint is no more, Sprint VoLTE and 5G should also disappear. More info and some general commentary on the post-merger roadmap,

http://androidcentral.com/what-you-n...le-sprint-deal

Edit: Apparently, Sprint only supports the 7 Pro 5G, not the 7 Pro (no 5G) model which came earlier. Above info pertains to the 5G model.
    Last edited by e.mote; 02-18-2020 at 04:23 AM.