Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strategy Priorities for New T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I believe that AT&T and Verizon want to pretend that VoLTE is something special and unique, so that they don't have to allow voice roaming at "reasonable" rates to competitors.
    I understand. I myself believe that T-Mobile is the holdout and screwing things up for everyone else. That it’s in everyone’s best interest (including their own customers) to be able to call someone and have a two way HD Voice call regardless of what competitor carrier the person they’re calling has.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I understand. I myself believe that T-Mobile is the holdout and screwing things up for everyone else. That it’s in everyone’s best interest (including their own customers) to be able to call someone and have a two way HD Voice call regardless of what competitor carrier the person they’re calling has.
    I think we're discussing two different things. You're really into making VoLTE (HD) calls between carriers. I'm concerned that AT&T doesn't allow non-AT&T branded devices to use VoLTE on their network, making VoLTE roaming impossible. Apples and Oranges.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think we're discussing two different things. You're really into making VoLTE (HD) calls between carriers. I'm concerned that AT&T doesn't allow non-AT&T branded devices to use VoLTE on their network, making VoLTE roaming impossible. Apples and Oranges.
    Lol - that is probably going to be an ugly issue if AT&T is pushing a 'only AT&T branded devices can use VoLTE on AT&T network'. I know that it's not quite so on T-Mobile. I had an unlocked (BestBuy) Moto X-Pure which worked fine on T-Mobile's VoLTE. Sadly, it would almost take the FCC do 'force' AT&T (or others) to allow VoLTE roaming if the carriers don't want to play nice.
    The interesting issue for a carrier like AT&T would be... how would people from other countries ever be able to make calls on AT&T's network (i.e. Bell/Rogers in Canada or MoviStar from Mexico, etc.). Once 3G goes away.. its VoLTE or nothing (maybe a softphone).
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I myself believe that T-Mobile is the holdout and screwing things up for everyone else.
    You believe that? Well the article that you've posted multiple times from PC Mag states the following:

"Castle explained that even if AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon are all using AMR-WB, the carriers are linked "over an old type of connection which downgrades the voice to narrowband quality." Once the networks upgrade their interconnections, they'll be able to connect VoLTE (voice over LTE) calls to each other in HD quality."

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...s-sound-better

It says "the networks upgrade their interconnections". It doesn't say anything that "T-Mobile is the holdout". That's something that you made up in your ongoing effort to criticize and complain about T-Mobile. Are you in the Verizon subforum screaming about Verizon not upgrading their interconnection?

If you're a T-Mobile customer, then you should take your business elsewhere. If you're not a T-Mobile customer, then T-Mobile likely cares little about your viewpoint on this.

Feedback Score
    I’m just going off complaints I've seen on Reddit, and from threads like this https://howardforums.com/showthread....amp-T-Verizon) where “Verizon and AT&T seem to have figured it out” and “dragging feet”. Look at the end of the day the only thing that’s important is interoperability between carriers for HD Voice and I just hope whatever is holding this up, be it Verizon or T-Mobile or AT&T, gets addressed soon.

Feedback Score
    I’m hoping this (not allowing unlocked or non AT&T branded phones to use VoLTE/HD Voice) gets addressed in Android 10. I did come across this post on Reddit about the unlocked S20 having VoLTE support, so maybe this limitation AT&T is imposing will be going away. https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment..._volte_on_att/

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I’m hoping this (not allowing unlocked or non AT&T branded phones to use VoLTE/HD Voice) gets addressed in Android 10. I did come across this post on Reddit about the unlocked S20 having VoLTE support, so maybe this limitation AT&T is imposing will be going away. https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment..._volte_on_att/
    AT&T blocks it per IMEI (I have an att account as well)

I've got plenty of unlocked phones here that do VoLTE on Verizon and T-Mobile just fine, but it just does not show up for AT&T. It's an artificial limitation mostly due to their old, garbage outdated billing system.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post

I've got plenty of unlocked phones here that do VoLTE on Verizon and T-Mobile just fine, but it just does not show up for AT&T. It's an artificial limitation mostly due to their old, garbage outdated billing system.
    Sounds like they adopted the old Cricket system. Back when I sold phones to Cricket customers, anyone who took my phone to the only coporate owned store in my town would have internet and picture messaging disabled on their account. They would then be told it didn't work because they bought a defective phone and that they should get their money back so they can buy a phone from them. A call to the dealer service line would fix that issue every time. Not sure if calling or chatting with a rep will fix this situation or not.

Feedback Score
    slimy business owners exist everywhere.

This is a control freak issue on the part of AT&T, nothing more. Yes, "all your phones are belong to us".

Word is that if you take a working and paid up SIM card from a working AT&T-branded phone and put it into an unlocked phone, the AT&T system will see that and "whitelist" that unlocked phone's IMEI for the purposes of VoLTE. The Blackberry keyONE folks discovered this a few years ago.

HD Voice is another issue.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    slimy business owners exist everywhere.

This is a control freak issue on the part of AT&T, nothing more. Yes, "all your phones are belong to us".

Word is that if you take a working and paid up SIM card from a working AT&T-branded phone and put it into an unlocked phone, the AT&T system will see that and "whitelist" that unlocked phone's IMEI for the purposes of VoLTE. The Blackberry keyONE folks discovered this a few years ago.

HD Voice is another issue.
    Does not work for the S7 and S8 i've got here, If i put the SIM into them it's HSPA only, even though their OLAM shows an S7 or S8, so it's not like they do not know what phone I have.

When I call I get the usual "well it's not an AT&T phone, so that must be it!"

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does not work for the S7 and S8 i've got here, If i put the SIM into them it's HSPA only, even though their OLAM shows an S7 or S8, so it's not like they do not know what phone I have.

When I call I get the usual "well it's not an AT&T phone, so that must be it!"
    You will get similar answers from T-Mobile if you ever call in for support. I've in the past called for issues about coverage, and even with B12 phone (Moto X-Pure), T-Mobile wouldn't field my issue because "It's not a phone supported by T-Mobile". Of course, once I purchased a newer phone - LG G6 from T-Mobile ... they couldn't use that excuse. I have a similar issue from them now with "Caller Verified" feature from AT&T Wireless phones.. and ALWAYS get asked where my phone was purchase from (still making T-Mobile payments on it!!). They've had to escalate to their infra support as they can see that the call isn't sending the info FROM AT&T to T-Mobile. This has been going on for +1 month.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    You will get similar answers from T-Mobile if you ever call in for support. I've in the past called for issues about coverage, and even with B12 phone (Moto X-Pure), T-Mobile wouldn't field my issue because "It's not a phone supported by T-Mobile". Of course, once I purchased a newer phone - LG G6 from T-Mobile ... they couldn't use that excuse. I have a similar issue from them now with "Caller Verified" feature from AT&T Wireless phones.. and ALWAYS get asked where my phone was purchase from (still making T-Mobile payments on it!!). They've had to escalate to their infra support as they can see that the call isn't sending the info FROM AT&T to T-Mobile. This has been going on for +1 month.
    But the thing is - I've never once had to call T-Mobile because an unlocked phone's VoLTE was not working. Samsung builds it into the software, and T-Mobile let's it connect if it has it. AT&T on the other hand will just deny the phone VoLTE if it's not on their whitelist database of IMEI's

Feedback Score

Spotted someone stating their unlocked S10e is getting VoLTE now. Maybe they did change something in their backend with devices running Android 10? https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post17119185

Feedback Score
    It's always been AT&T's plan to allow VoLTE on non-branded phones. But it's a big bureacracy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    It's always been AT&T's plan to allow VoLTE on non-branded phones. But it's a big bureacracy.
    AT&T plans to shutdown 3G in early 2022. 2G is already gone. They will have to allow VoLTE on all the phones they allow to be activated then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast