Thread: Verizon Strikes Deal with NASCAR for 5G and WiFi improvements

Feedback Score

Verizon Strikes Deal with NASCAR for 5G and WiFi improvements

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I just hope 4G LTE customers will benefit too.
    I'd guess a lot of the 5G work is largely mmwave band, 4G benefit would be from whatever load switches off it to 5G. But the wifi improvements should benefit everybody.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    4G also indirectly benefits from 5G in the form of increased densification. Verizon needing to deploy small cells so closely together means they'll have higher spectrum reuse and also be able to equip those small cells with LAA and CBRS that actually blanket users.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    4G also indirectly benefits from 5G in the form of increased densification. Verizon needing to deploy small cells so closely together means they'll have higher spectrum reuse and also be able to equip those small cells with LAA and CBRS that actually blanket users.
    Yup, 5G small cells also do 4G. Ironically, in most areas, once cells are densified for 5G, they will have so much 4G capacity that 5G isn't too useful for phones, but the cost is basically the same to do 4G versus 5G once you've got a location, power, fiber, etc. This is a good fit to me, as Sprint/NASCAR never made any sense for me. The folks who are big into NASCAR are naturally more rural and more likely to be Verizon customers. They probably also are behind the curve on handset upgrades, so for now, this is primarily a 4G play.