Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy S20 Plus & Ultra have all T-Mobile 5G bands

Feedback Score

Galaxy S20 Plus & Ultra have all T-Mobile 5G bands

T-Mobile issued a press release regarding the S20 as related to their 5G bands.

The base S20 will not have mmWave compatibility but will have compatibility with n71 and Sprint's n41.

The S20 Plus & Ultra will also have mmWave.

Press release is here:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/s20-5g

Samsung has some trade-ins available. For example an S10 from last year will get a $600 credit toward the new device:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ga...y-s20-ultra-5g

Also for early pre-order, they'll give you credit of $100 to $200 to spend on accessories at the Samsung store.

The Plus and the Ultra seem to be the way to go for those who want to be on the cutting edge of T-Mobile's 5G rollout.

I saw Droid Life found some FCC info that the S20 also has n66 compatibility.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/01/2...-band-support/

Has T-Mobile said if they're going to roll out 5G on B66 too?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This phone has a whole lot of awesome in it. The live unboxing will be on YouTube today at 4pm PST directly from the San Francisco signature store:

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    T-Mobile issued a press release regarding the S20 as related to their 5G bands.

The base S20 will not have mmWave compatibility but will have compatibility with n71 and Sprint's n41.

The S20 Plus & Ultra will also have mmWave.

Press release is here:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/s20-5g

Samsung has some trade-ins available. For example an S10 from last year will get a $600 credit toward the new device:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ga...y-s20-ultra-5g

Also for early pre-order, they'll give you credit of $100 to $200 to spend on accessories at the Samsung store.

The Plus and the Ultra seem to be the way to go for those who want to be on the cutting edge of T-Mobile's 5G rollout.

I saw Droid Life found some FCC info that the S20 also has n66 compatibility.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/01/2...-band-support/

Has T-Mobile said if they're going to roll out 5G on B66 too?
    Awesome news that I already knew!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S20+ 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ...... Has T-Mobile said if they're going to roll out 5G on B66 too? ......
    They haven’t said directly anything other than NR on 600MHz and mmWave. However, I think it’s safe to assume they will also implement n2 and n66 as time goes on via DSS. Similarly to how AT&T and Verizon plan on leveraging their midband holdings for LTE and NR.
    - Bentley

AT&T's commercial 4G network, with LAA-LTE.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ....Has T-Mobile said if they're going to roll out 5G on B66 too?
    Said? Not that I recall but I'd assume that eventually, UMTS and LTE will go the way of 2G. I'd not mind them using some mid-band for 5G, provided that they dedicate an equivalent amount of band 41 for LTE but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    these are significantly bigger and heavier and more power hungry thanks to the mandatory additional 5G chips, all for...what? no real 5G coverage to speak of?

Next generation will have 5G integrated into the single SOC, which will allow them to go back to non-tablet, portable sizes. And by then, 5G deployment will be considerably more understood.

In the meantime, look out for the Qualcomm 765 chip, probably in the A series.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    these are significantly bigger and heavier and more power hungry thanks to the mandatory additional 5G chips, all for...what? no real 5G coverage to speak of?......
    I think you've hit the nail on the head here. This is like the first generation 3G phones. They have a niche. If I lived in NYC and worked in lower Manhattan, I might want to shell out the bucks for an S20, just to have access to all the signals. As it is I can wait for the next generation of Chipsets or maybe the one after that.

Feedback Score
    exactly.

In this particular cycle into which we are entering, midrange is the new flagship.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Said? Not that I recall but I'd assume that eventually, UMTS and LTE will go the way of 2G. I'd not mind them using some mid-band for 5G, provided that they dedicate an equivalent amount of band 41 for LTE but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.
    I have no doubt that carriers will refarm the bands for 5G at some point. Much of it, I suspect is in or has been planned out based on carriers and hardware manufacturers. This reminds me of AT&T going to 3G. It was awful for a long time, as hardware + handsets were built at the time for PCS, but not cellular band. As a result, AT&T's 3G was swiss cheese at best in many places. 5G is a bit on the opposite end for T-Mobile right now... low band spectrum, but little capacity.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I have no doubt that carriers will refarm the bands for 5G at some point. Much of it, I suspect is in or has been planned out based on carriers and hardware manufacturers. ....
    What bothers me is what seems to be a lack of concern for long-lived m2m applications. Alarm systems can operate for 20 years or longer. I had to upgrade a perfectly good alarm system that was installed in 2006 because AT&T dropped support for 2G and the company wouldn't use T-Mobile. Automobiles are another item that can easily last 10 years or longer. What support will car companies provide for changing wireless technology? Give me a break! They don't want to upgrade an 8 year-old car. They want to sell you a new one. This happened to a Mercedes my wife owned that had a 2G based TeleAid system that fell off support with no upgrade path. You'd think maybe Mercedes might but, no, they didn't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This happened to a Mercedes my wife owned that had a 2G based TeleAid system that fell off support with no upgrade path. You'd think maybe Mercedes might but, no, they didn't.
    I'm not sure what the car manufacturers are supposed to do if something like 2G service is discontinued. It's not like they can readily change out the hardware in an 8 year old car.

Feedback Score
    GM went through Round 1 of this same thing back when analog went away. Suddenly all those legacy OnStar users, including in the Cadillac brand, were stuck.

And I mean, people who had bought a Cadillac a mere month earlier were caught by surprise. I'm sure GM knew well in advance about Verizon's move away from analog, but GM had in-production models already designed around the analog stuff and had zero plans for what to do when the technology changed.

So yes, people need to be aware of long lived applications in this very short term world.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    these are significantly bigger and heavier and more power hungry thanks to the mandatory additional 5G chips, all for...what? no real 5G coverage to speak of?

Next generation will have 5G integrated into the single SOC, which will allow them to go back to non-tablet, portable sizes. And by then, 5G deployment will be considerably more understood.

In the meantime, look out for the Qualcomm 765 chip, probably in the A series.
    As soon as the Merger is done expect the new T-Mobile to break off some of Sprint’s 2.5 GHz for improving the bandwidth of 5G to improve speeds over 5G. Then by late September or October I expect Standalone 5G with DSS that will allow all LTE blocks to be virtualized that will all the same blocks of spectrum to provide both LTE and 5G.

The new major issue is the Coronavirus has caused the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain to be canceled. Plus so much of the parts are made in China and factories are shut down and closed. Even Apple is going to announce they aren’t going to be able to meet their financial forecast due to a lack of product. This whole Telcon and phone Mfg industry is going to be slowed down by delays in the parts supply chain.

Feedback Score
    This reminds me of the "good old days," when a factory fire in Korea stopped the production of memory chips.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This reminds me of the "good old days," when a factory fire in Korea stopped the production of memory chips.
    Coronavirus’ impact will be bigger than a cancelled trade show https://www.fiercewireless.com/devic...led-trade-show

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast