Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Galaxy S20 Plus & Ultra have all T-Mobile 5G bands

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    As soon as the Merger is done expect the new T-Mobile to break off some of Sprint’s 2.5 GHz for improving the bandwidth of 5G to improve speeds over 5G. Then by late September or October I expect Standalone 5G with DSS that will allow all LTE blocks to be virtualized that will all the same blocks of spectrum to provide both LTE and 5G.

The new major issue is the Coronavirus has caused the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain to be canceled. Plus so much of the parts are made in China and factories are shut down and closed. Even Apple is going to announce they aren’t going to be able to meet their financial forecast due to a lack of product.
    I'm pre-ordering my S20 Plus on Friday and I'm assuming the devices are far enough in the supply channel that they won't be affected by the virus. So then I'll have access to all of T-Mobile's NR bands when the DSS starts to be utilized as you describe.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I'm not sure what the car manufacturers are supposed to do if something like 2G service is discontinued. It's not like they can readily change out the hardware in an 8 year old car.
    What car, or alarm, or whatever manufacturers *could* do, is build their systems modularly, so the wireless radio is a plug-in module, and can be swapped out without obsoleting the entire system. Take a laptop as an example. If I bought a laptop with an integrated 3G or LTE modem, that's built-in obsolescence, but of I buy a wireless USB dongle, I unplug it and plug in the next one as tech advances. But they won't, because they don't care about any vehicle they build the second it's out of warranty.

I suspect that 2G, 3G, or LTE OnStar systems connected to cars in pretty much the all the same places that the original analog systems did, with similar crash sensors and user interfaces (microphone, speaker, indicator lights, etc.) By integrating the cellular phone portion to the device's main board like they do currently, it eventually becomes a paperweight. If the cellular portion was a removable module with a "standard" (to GM) connection, radios could be changed as needed (even if it was a "dealer only" option.) This the way car radios work- the same wiring harness with proprietary connectors for each car manufacturer is run through their cars allowing any number of that manufacturer's radios, amps, speakers, cameras, etc. to be connected depending on user option.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm pre-ordering my S20 Plus on Friday and I'm assuming the devices are far enough in the supply channel that they won't be affected by the virus. So then I'll have access to all of T-Mobile's NR bands when the DSS starts to be utilized as you describe.
    Yes your S20 is already made at this point. As of 2019, Samsung has its mobile phone manufacturing factories at 6 locations – Vietnam, China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, and South Korea. 50% of Samsung mobile phones are made in Vietnam and 8% in Korea. Rest is manufactured in India, Brazil, Indonesia and China.

This is going to hit Apple the hardest if the virus jumps the 600 miles to Shenzhen ( Foxconn) from Wuhan, where the deadly coronavirus outbreak began two months ago.

China’s hi-tech hub Shenzhen gets back to work despite fears deadly coronavirus will keep spreading. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...e-fears-deadly

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    ...This is going to hit Apple the hardest if the virus jumps the 600 miles to Shenzhen ( Foxconn) from Wuhan, where the deadly coronavirus outbreak began two months ago. ....
    I guess that would leave Apple's only manufacturing facility in Ireland?

Hopefully, China will be able to contain this bug long enough to allow for the development of an effective vaccine.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    GM went through Round 1 of this same thing back when analog went away. Suddenly all those legacy OnStar users, including in the Cadillac brand, were stuck.

And I mean, people who had bought a Cadillac a mere month earlier were caught by surprise. I'm sure GM knew well in advance about Verizon's move away from analog, but GM had in-production models already designed around the analog stuff and had zero plans for what to do when the technology changed.

So yes, people need to be aware of long lived applications in this very short term world.
    I remeber a 99 Tahoe my family had. Brought it in to the dealer, it was like a $300 upgrade back in like 01 or 02 to add digital, damn phone worked everywhere.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what the car manufacturers are supposed to do if something like 2G service is discontinued. It's not like they can readily change out the hardware in an 8 year old car.
    Well, in the cases I've seen, the cellular modules for On*Star or TeleAid or whatever, could have been made as field-replaceable units. AT&T could have continued a minimal 2G service in the same way that T-Mobile has: embedded in the guard bands of LTE and WCDMA.

Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    What car, or alarm, or whatever manufacturers *could* do, is build their systems modularly, so the wireless radio is a plug-in module, and can be swapped out without obsoleting the entire system.......
    The auto & alarm manufacturers need to be aware that you can only fool the customers so many times, then they wise up. I for one won't buy any wireless thing that I plan to keep more than 5 years if the manufacturer does not provide a future-proofing plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Well, in the cases I've seen, the cellular modules for On*Star or TeleAid or whatever, could have been made as field-replaceable units. AT&T could have continued a minimal 2G service in the same way that T-Mobile has: embedded in the guard bands of LTE and WCDMA.
    It looks like from what I'm seeing OnStar upgraded from 2G CDMA to 4G LTE at no charge to their customers.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/on...-to-4g.146321/

If OnStar is on Verizon, obviously AT&T's 2G wouldn't have helped.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I'd be happy with an S20; the 5mhz or so of n71 is... well, whatever, it does extend coverage; but the n41 will be sick, they're getting (nationwide average) 150mhz of n41. That's what makes me happy about the Sprint/T-Mo merger; after having 2.5ghz for all these years, Sprint reportedly is using 20-60mhz of it where it's deployed at all, I do feel like T-Mo will make much better use of it.

DSS? Don't know, with 150+mhz of 2.5ghz they can certainly wait a bit on DSS if they want to. AT&T and VZW will definitely have to use DSS for 5G if they want to get a significant amount of 5G spectrum running (other than mmwave areas).
    Last edited by hwertz; 02-18-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    It looks like from what I'm seeing OnStar upgraded from 2G CDMA to 4G LTE at no charge to their customers.
    The trouble they ran into with the analog shutdown (2008), they had analog-only onstar units in cars up to 2005; the digital upgrade ($15 for a 1X onstar module) was only available for 2002-2005 vehicles, and not all of them either. They've certainly changed units at least once since then, the onstar service switched over to AT&T some years back. I'm assuming the 2002+ Onstar was designed to be more modular so they replace it more easily.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Look like nice phones but those prices are a little steep for more. Maybe if they come down a decent amount

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Look like nice phones but those prices are a little steep for more. Maybe if they come down a decent amount
    They are android devices, they will be half off by the end of summer, and by winter carriers will be giving them away with some promo they are running. I like android devices myself much more than iOS devices, but, they do not hold any value at all. Keep in mind, I say that as I’m seriously contemplating dropping $1600 for the new razr lol, it will likely be about $400 by the end of June.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2