Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge approves $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Customers of ATT and Verizon had a dog in this fight, as the merger will provide much stiffer competition to those networks and improve them as a result.

T-Mobile and Sprint customers had a dog in the fight as both get much better networks due to this.

Now, who is left over? US Cellular and Bug Tussel customers who won't have a dog in the fight ???
    Funny you should mention it, USCC should worry; here in Iowa (right in the middle of USCC's midwest market), IWireless ran pretty much a 1900mhz (and AWS) network on 850mhz-spaced sites, and a mix of 2G, 3G, and 4G. This mainly was competition with Sprint, not really with VZW and USCC (who had the two cellular band and so better coverage.) Well, T-Mo bought IWireless last year, upgraded the whole thing to 4G (probably 5G now), and rolled out 600mhz as fast as possible. Those 850-spaced sites have perfectly fine coverage at 600mhz . USCC and VZW both will need to sweat in this area where they just competed against each other mainly before.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    The next time I read about how automobiles were the most important invention of the 20th century, I'll remember that actually the paved road was, because without paved roads, automobiles are just 2-ton paperweights...
    Actually, the Model T was designed to handle those awful roads. Once the public had the cars, they demanded better roads, which allowed more companies to make them.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Actually, the Model T was designed to handle those awful roads. Once the public had the cars, they demanded better roads, which allowed more companies to make them.
    And, to strain my analogy further, early smartphones were designed to handle 1G and 2G networks, as well as WiFi, etc. I've painfully connected my oldest smartphones at T-Mo's 9.6kbps CSD or 14.4k Verizon 1X.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    And, to strain my analogy further, early smartphones were designed to handle 1G and 2G networks, as well as WiFi, etc. I've painfully connected my oldest smartphones at T-Mo's 9.6kbps CSD or 14.4k Verizon 1X.
    It's all relative. I had wireless CSD and FAX lines (in and out) at one time. They were so much better than 1200 bps dial-up. With WAP I could get a lot done over GPRS. Expectations have changed.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Good point. The next time I read about how automobiles were the most important invention of the 20th century, I'll remember that actually the paved road was, because without paved roads, automobiles are just 2-ton paperweights...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Automobiles don't actually need roads - that's good to know.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    It was the automobile companies that heavily lobbied for the interstate highway system to be built instead of pouring similar funding into mass transit. I believe the phrase was 'What's good for General Motors is good for the country.'

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Unless other carriers adopted a cable style billing system where you pay for speed tiers, instead of data used. Which has been floated around as an idea before.

Fi is interesting, the have a parity agreement with all 3 of their providers right now, you get access to T-Mobile, sprint and u.s. cellular a native networks, and access to their domestic roaming partners as well, as long as you have one of designed for fi devices. Otherwise if you don’t, you only have access to T-Mobile and their roaming partners. This is why data is so expensive on fi, they pay more for it themselves with that agreement. They really aren’t a tradition mvno in that sense. I assume nothing will change at fi, and they will just use T-Mobile and u.s. cellular going forward, until it’s time to re up their agreement and then maybe they shop around, but with their unique needs as a carrier, I’m not sure any other carrier would be willing to give them that type of deal.
    With this change, Fi probably won't need US Cellular's coverage. It gave them access to Verizon's 3G network, so that goes out the window. With the international roaming with LTE coverage at no extra charge, Fi is a better alternative to what T-Mobile offers for international roaming at this time. T-Mobile did mention Fi specifically as an example of an MVNO they would be friendly towards, so I'm assuming their partnership will remain in tact for a while. The deal that allowed Fi to offer unlimited data for $70 a month may be a sign of further plan changes to come now that the merger is official.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    With this change, Fi probably won't need US Cellular's coverage. It gave them access to Verizon's 3G network, so that goes out the window. With the international roaming with LTE coverage at no extra charge, Fi is a better alternative to what T-Mobile offers for international roaming at this time. T-Mobile did mention Fi specifically as an example of an MVNO they would be friendly towards, so I'm assuming their partnership will remain in tact for a while. The deal that allowed Fi to offer unlimited data for $70 a month may be a sign of further plan changes to come now that the merger is official.
    The only thing with fi’s unlimited plan is it’s not unlimited LTE speeds. It’s 22 gb then it’s throttled down to a hard cap of 256k I believe? It’s either 256 or 512. So, while it is an “unlimited” plan technically, it does have severe limitations after 22gb. I believe the only mvno that offers a truly unlimited plan on T-Mobile is still currently simple mobile.

Feedback Score
    Here's an article with an update on remaining obstacles to completing this deal:

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/tech-a...lity-regulator

In summary there's:

California Public Utility Commission approval.

A federal judge needs to sign off a review under the Tunney Act.

A federal appeal by the Communications Workers of America, arguing the FCC exceeded their authority in approving the deal.

Aside from that, Deutsche Telekom is trying to renegotiate the terms of the deal since the first merger deal has expired:

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/02/deut...sprint-merger/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Here's an article with an update on remaining obstacles to completing this deal:

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/tech-a...lity-regulator

In summary there's:

California Public Utility Commission approval.

A federal judge needs to sign off a review under the Tunney Act.

A federal appeal by the Communications Workers of America, arguing the FCC exceeded their authority in approving the deal.

Aside from that, Deutsche Telekom is trying to renegotiate the terms of the deal since the first merger deal has expired:

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/02/deut...sprint-merger/
    CPUC and Tunney Act cases are really ones that matter. CWA case is nothing but a stall tactic. They're literally wasting time and money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    CPUC and Tunney Act cases are really ones that matter. CWA case is nothing but a stall tactic. They're literally wasting time and money.
    Cpuc needs to be taken care of, but I am not aware of any state public utilities commission that has prevented a national merger before. Though, if they do take it to court, it could delay the closing. I don't see it going that far though. I wouldn't be surprised at all if TMobile offers some promises to California in return for them approving it March 12th.

Feedback Score
    So it's not a done deal. Maybe I'll get to restate.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Cpuc needs to be taken care of, but I am not aware of any state public utilities commission that has prevented a national merger before. Though, if they do take it to court, it could delay the closing. I don't see it going that far though. I wouldn't be surprised at all if TMobile offers some promises to California in return for them approving it March 12th.
    Yeah likely the case. Even if CPUC decided to deny the merger, tmobile can get it overturned in court. They'll just throw some money at them and they'll approve it right away.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I found the reference on this:

Dish must build a 5G network that covers 20% of the U.S. population by 2022 and 70% by 2023. It will have to pay a $2.2 billion penalty to the U.S. Treasury if it can’t reach its goal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/26/dish...s-network.html

I wonder if they get an extension because of the delay caused by the AG lawsuit.
    I see a major problem with Dish’s plan to build out 5G to 70% of the US population by 2023. The Boost and Virgin customers are the prepaid with the worst phones. It will take till late 2021 or longer for affordable 5G phones to become available. Not that iPhones are affordable but Apple won’t even offer it’s first 5G iPhone till late 2020.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I see a major problem with Dish’s plan to build out 5G to 70% of the US population by 2023. The Boost and Virgin customers are the prepaid with the worst phones. It will take till late 2021 or longer for affordable 5G phones to become available. Not that iPhones are affordable but Apple won’t even offer it’s first 5G iPhone till late 2020.
    Dish plans on offering a postpaid option of the service as well. Would assume this mean they will be offering some type of device financing deal as well. The main reasoning for prepaid customers having lower end devices, is due to to no real finance option for them.I have doubts dish does anything more than being a mvno, but, their plan isn't bad. It's just if they actually implement it or not.

Not to mention, dish hasn't officially done anything yet. The deal can't complete until the merger is official, and with Charlie you are never 100% sure until he actually signs the dotted line. I'm surprised you don't hear dish saying they want a cheaper deal, branded prepaid accounted for the the majority of Sprint customer losses.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 02-15-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast