Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge approves $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who recalls Nokia's Symbian smartphones? As I recall, they were dead reliable. My Nokia E61 predated the iPhone by several years.
    Yea, I had a Nokia running Symbian way back but it worked. Unlike that worthless Window phones that Microsoft gave us for free at work since we were a Silver Star Microsoft reseller. Those Windows phones were like Fisher Price toy phones.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I guess I'm the only one who recalls Nokia's Symbian smartphones? As I recall, they were dead reliable. My Nokia E61 predated the iPhone by several years.
    Now *that* was phone! By then I was using my T-Mobile MDA: http://pocketpccentral.net/tmobile_mda.htm

My last Symbian was a circa-2003 Nokia Symbian 3650 phone paired to my Dell Axin Windows Mobile (non-phone) Pocket PC via Bluetooth DUN. The Symbian handled many tasks (including a nascent Google Maps app) well, but the Pocket PC handled the hard stuff- full GPS navigation (with my compactflash GPS adapter and "Mapopolis" software!), music, videos, ebooks, and of course Pocket Excel and Pocket Word. To complete the ensemble was my Infrared Sipix Pocket Printer that printed anything from the Pocket PC onto 4" wide thermal paper. (You think that guy holding up the boarding line at the airport gate because they can't scan his phone or watch is an a**hole? Picture me holding up the line because they can't scan my boarding pass that I printed 25% of normal size on a 100ppi thermal printer because the printer at the hotel was broken!)

I kind of miss having a separate PDA and phone though, (it's hard looking stuff up or taking notes on your phone while talking on it!) but I don't miss wireless cards! The Dell Axim was before the era of integrated wireless, so I had separate CompactFlash WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS cards which I swapped in and out as needed.

The GPRS-enabled Symbian was a nice upgrade from my prior Nokia 8290, which I connected my Pocket PCs to for circuit-switched (9.6kbps!) internet access via Infrared.

We've certainly come a long way in the last 20 years, but looking back on it, I was essentially doing all of the same stuff I do now, except a bit slower and a lot more awkwardly.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    As long as the still-significant coverage gap is closed!

The difference between 0G and 4G is a much bigger problem than the difference between 4G and 5G.
    Now that, sir, is the HoFo quote of the year so far...

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Dish has to borrow to complete the purchase of boost, then they have to borrow to build out the network. This is also at a time when their core business is declining. I know Charlie says he may have a surprise investor, but who? I can't see it being Google as they are now having their own anti trust issues with the DOJ, Amazon is getting close to having those same issues, I can't see big cable just being a partner with dish, I would think they'd rather just buy out dish wireless entirely. Maybe a smaller cable player? This is what gives me pause as to whether or not dish becomes anything more than a mvno. Charlie may want to be more, but can he? He may see selling off or leasing out as his better option.
    Well if Amazon was smart they would just buy the new T-Mobile and make it the #1 network in the nation and sell phones from their main Amazon center using video calling. Would love to see that as AT&T becomes the new US Cellular competition.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hahaha I think the today screen was the only thing that worked semi properly on an old windows mobile device. People sure got to see it a lot when their device froze and they had to reboot it 20 times a day lol. I had the first gen Moto Q and what a phone. Best feature of the device was a removable battery with an easy open cover, that way when it froze it made it simple to reboot
    Your problem was it was a Motorola... Don't get me wrong, Moto made great phones, but for some reason the only OEM to consistently make Windows Mobile phones that didn't completely suck was HTC. I tried Motos, an Audiovox, and a Samsung or two, but always came back to HTCs for reliability and stability. I still have my T-Mo (HTC) HD2 in a junk drawer somewhere- it was both my last WinMo 6 phone and the last phone I ever bought on contract from T-Mo. (Didn't actually need it, but it was right before the proposed AT&T/T-Mo merger, so I figured getting under contract was the best way to guarantee AT&T would honor my T-Mo grandfathered plan for a while if the merger went through!)

Feedback Score
    I'd like to see some company buy Boost from Dish. A company from a way different industry. A company nobody thought of. Everybodies like wtf! LOL. Like Honda yup I'd like to see Honda buy 100% of Boost. Pundit's heads would explode.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Yea but they are right in saying the iPhone changed everything. Smartphones before the iPhone were a lot of windows mobile devices that were terrible to use, would freeze constantly, and generally were received very poorly by consumers on a usability level. You can argue the first true smartphone that started the smartphone era was the blackberry 8700. This device though had its fair share of issues as well, and the bold and curve devices that came after it were superior devices in every way. The iPhone though revolutionized what can be done on a phone though. It ushered in the app age. The information at the touch of a button. I would personally say this wasn’t truly realized until the release of the iPhone 3GS, I think that was apples first true “flagship smartphone”, but I can see where they are coming from saying the iPhone was the most important thing in wireless so far. It changed the way people viewed their phones, and what their phones were capable of, and forced carriers to adapt to the new data age.
    Smartphones only exist because the networks allow them to exist. Without a capable network the smartphone is a paper weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    How much is the penalty if Dish doesn't build out?
    I found the reference on this:

Dish must build a 5G network that covers 20% of the U.S. population by 2022 and 70% by 2023. It will have to pay a $2.2 billion penalty to the U.S. Treasury if it can’t reach its goal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/26/dish...s-network.html

I wonder if they get an extension because of the delay caused by the AG lawsuit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I will attest to the relative usefulness of low frequency bands in outlying areas. In my hilly and forested area TMO uses B4 and not B12, and the signal is the worst of all carriers outside of town. Not sure if they use B71, as my phone did not have it. Verizon uses both low and higher frequencies, and the higher ones are inferior.
    I was able to experience the difference T-Mo 600 MHz makes recently. T-Mo was able to turn on 600 MHz here after a bunch of TV stations finally got moved.

Before 600 MHz, at home on the rural fringe of suburbia, I had no T-Mo signal. With 600 MHz, I now have adequate, but not great, signal inside the house, even in the most interior room. As best as I can determine, I am about five miles from the closest T-Mo cell.

Around town, before 600 MHz, T-Mo was an awful hit and miss of coverage. Now it is solid, but not fast, everywhere I have checked.

T-Mo's map shows that they have put 5G on the cells around town. Their strategy of putting most of the bandwidth of 600 MHz on 5G leads to the LTE not being real fast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I found the reference on this:

Dish must build a 5G network that covers 20% of the U.S. population by 2022 and 70% by 2023. It will have to pay a $2.2 billion penalty to the U.S. Treasury if it can’t reach its goal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/26/dish...s-network.html

I wonder if they get an extension because of the delay caused by the AG lawsuit.
    Thank you.

I bet the US Treasury doesn't collect & not because Dish meets the build out percentages. Just because the stated intent is pablum.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Around town, before 600 MHz, T-Mo was an awful hit and miss of coverage. Now it is solid, but not fast, everywhere I have checked.

T-Mo's map shows that they have put 5G on the cells around town. Their strategy of putting most of the bandwidth of 600 MHz on 5G leads to the LTE not being real fast.
    It was for marketing to say they had a 1st nationwide 5G rollout and in a few months they'll share the bandwidth between 5G and LTE using DSS and you should see higher speeds on it.

Feedback Score
    I remember Nokia’s Symbian, it was more reliable than windows. They also had the old palm os devices, which early android releases borrowed semi heavily from. Both were solid for the time, but neither one changed the game like the iPhone did. The iPhone not only changed how consumers used their devices, it changed how carriers did business. It also ushered in the app industry, which turned Facebook into a billion dollar company, made companies like Snapchat relevant, and just changed almost everything.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I used a Palm OS smartphone then later a Windows mobile phone. They even had PDAs updated with larger (at the time) screens that did voice too, though I went with the Palm version with the small screen. I was pretty happy with it at the time. physical keyboard for texts. But when I was finally eligible from ATT for a contract phone upgrade I bought the iPhone 3G. THough I've used android phones since then my primary has been iPhones.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Smartphones only exist because the networks allow them to exist. Without a capable network the smartphone is a paper weight.
    Good point. The next time I read about how automobiles were the most important invention of the 20th century, I'll remember that actually the paved road was, because without paved roads, automobiles are just 2-ton paperweights...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Well if Amazon was smart they would just buy the new T-Mobile and make it the #1 network in the nation and sell phones from their main Amazon center using video calling. Would love to see that as AT&T becomes the new US Cellular competition.
    Not sure Amazon could do that without getting an anti trust investigation opened against them from the DOJ. It would certainly raise concerns. Not sure they want that much attention on them. They may be better off just being an investor in a company like dish, than going all out and buying a carrier the size of the new TMobile.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast