Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 338

Thread: Judge approves $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    542
    Feedback Score
    0
    Usually not a huge fan of opinion pieces, and the post can be hit or miss with stories sometimes, but, this is a good read on just how Masa Son messed up Sprint, and his obsession with merging with T-Mobile from the day he bought sprint. https://nypost.com/2020/02/12/how-so...test-casualty/

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Posts
    5,789
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sprint PCS seem like it was the carrier to be with back before the Nextel merger (back when there was still cingular wireless, att wireless before cingular merger, and voicestream). First all digital nationwide network, those new clamshell phones from Samsung (they were so different than the Nokias EVERYONE had). Remember video ringtones lol! It would have been nice to see how Sprint would have turn out to be if they stay focus on their digital network
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Usually not a huge fan of opinion pieces, and the post can be hit or miss with stories sometimes, but, this is a good read on just how Masa Son messed up Sprint, and his obsession with merging with T-Mobile from the day he bought sprint. https://nypost.com/2020/02/12/how-so...test-casualty/
    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    542
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    As you said smartphones already existed.
    Yea but they are right in saying the iPhone changed everything. Smartphones before the iPhone were a lot of windows mobile devices that were terrible to use, would freeze constantly, and generally were received very poorly by consumers on a usability level. You can argue the first true smartphone that started the smartphone era was the blackberry 8700. This device though had its fair share of issues as well, and the bold and curve devices that came after it were superior devices in every way. The iPhone though revolutionized what can be done on a phone though. It ushered in the app age. The information at the touch of a button. I would personally say this wasn’t truly realized until the release of the iPhone 3GS, I think that was apples first true “flagship smartphone”, but I can see where they are coming from saying the iPhone was the most important thing in wireless so far. It changed the way people viewed their phones, and what their phones were capable of, and forced carriers to adapt to the new data age.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,762
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Yea but they are right in saying the iPhone changed everything. Smartphones before the iPhone were a lot of windows mobile devices that were terrible to use, would freeze constantly, and generally were received very poorly by consumers on a usability level. You can argue the first true smartphone that started the smartphone era was the blackberry 8700. This device though had its fair share of issues as well, and the bold and curve devices that came after it were superior devices in every way. The iPhone though revolutionized what can be done on a phone though. It ushered in the app age. The information at the touch of a button. I would personally say this wasn’t truly realized until the release of the iPhone 3GS, I think that was apples first true “flagship smartphone”, but I can see where they are coming from saying the iPhone was the most important thing in wireless so far. It changed the way people viewed their phones, and what their phones were capable of, and forced carriers to adapt to the new data age.
    As I was trying to say (badly), IMO, it was the combination of ease of use with the mandatory data plan.

    Verizon already had mandatory data plans for smartphones, but "regular folks" weren't ready to put up with awkward UIs and glorified WAP browsers on the pre-iPhone smartphones. And if the iPhone had launched with an optional data plan, most early adopters would've just used them as a phone/iPod combo, which would have slowed the smartphone revolution and the race for faster wireless data.

    (And don't p*ss on Windows Mobile! I still miss the customizable "Today" screen the phones powered on to. Despite their later failures in mobile, Microsoft has always understood the importance of placing needed info at a glance on your smartphone in a way that Apple and Google have never understood.)



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    542
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    As I was trying to say (badly), IMO, it was the combination of ease of use with the mandatory data plan.

    Verizon already had mandatory data plans for smartphones, but "regular folks" weren't ready to put up with awkward UIs and glorified WAP browsers on the pre-iPhone smartphones. And if the iPhone had launched with an optional data plan, most early adopters would've just used them as a phone/iPod combo, which would have slowed the smartphone revolution and the race for faster wireless data.

    (And don't p*ss on Windows Mobile! I still miss the customizable "Today" screen the phones powered on to. Despite their later failures in mobile, Microsoft has always understood the importance of placing needed info at a glance on your smartphone in a way that Apple and Google have never understood.)



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I agree. I have to admit, I never really thought about what the most important development in wireless would be until I read it here, but I have to agree with the iPhone. It literally changed everything. I'm not a huge apple lover either, haven't owned an iPhone in ages, but can fully appreciate what it has meant to the industry.


    Hahaha I think the today screen was the only thing that worked semi properly on an old windows mobile device. People sure got to see it a lot when their device froze and they had to reboot it 20 times a day lol. I had the first gen Moto Q and what a phone. Best feature of the device was a removable battery with an easy open cover, that way when it froze it made it simple to reboot

  6. #81
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,174
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Best feature of the device was a removable battery with an easy open cover, that way when it froze it made it simple to reboot
    Yes, until Apple "invented" a device where you are supposed to throw it away when the battery went bad (instead of the much more user friendly situation like with TV remotes and flashlights, where you can easily replace the bad battery). A downgrade, really. Like when Apple ditched the precise below-screen or slider keyboard to force everyone to use the sloppy obcreeb kelboaprd. Like with the good ideas, everyone seemed to eventually copy Apple with the bad ones too. Oh to have a modern top of the line fast phone like a "Motorola Droid 3", with its removable battery and wide fast/accurate hardware keyboard.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,112
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    .....Hahaha I think the today screen was the only thing that worked semi properly on an old windows mobile device. ....
    I guess I'm the only one who recalls Nokia's Symbian smartphones? As I recall, they were dead reliable. My Nokia E61 predated the iPhone by several years.
    Donald Newcomb

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,767
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    T-Mobile was asked about this and said that they plan to be very MVNO friendly. How friendly that is, we still don't know. But they have no plans to alienate MVNOs or their customers. Some of the people complaining are people who were hoping Sprint would go under so that AT&T and Verizon could benefit from the mess Sprint has been in for years.
    Agree 100% with that statement. Some not all of the AT&T and Verizon customers have been on this board for years trying to attack T-Mobile as well as trying to direct and influence T-Mobile customers to switch to AT&T and a Verizon. The fact that T-Mobile has already taken a strong lead in 5G is got them upset. Now with T-Mobile getting Sprints spectrum the new T-Mobile will have a nationwide deep bandwidth 5GNR network long before the other two can catch up. With almost all Flagship phones this year supporting 5G and when Stand-alone 5GNR, DSS and Spectrum Splitting is deployed, then T-Mobile will have completely caught up to the other two that could be competitively superior service.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,174
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who recalls Nokia's Symbian smartphones? As I recall, they were dead reliable. My Nokia E61 predated the iPhone by several years.
    I'd never heard of it but it looks good in the photos. Reliable and precise, I am sure.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,174
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    With almost all Flagship phones this year supporting 5G and when Stand-alone 5GNR, DSS and Spectrum Splitting is deployed, then T-Mobile will have completely caught up to the other two that could be competitively superior service.
    As long as the still-significant coverage gap is closed!

    The difference between 0G and 4G is a much bigger problem than the difference between 4G and 5G.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,621
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Agree 100% with that statement. Some not all of the AT&T and Verizon customers have been on this board for years trying to attack T-Mobile as well as trying to direct and influence T-Mobile customers to switch to AT&T and a Verizon...
    Huh. I think almost all of the opposition to the merger here at Hofo has been concern for the effect on MVNOs.

    I don't see it at all as ATT & VZW schills.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,188
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who recalls Nokia's Symbian smartphones? As I recall, they were dead reliable. My Nokia E61 predated the iPhone by several years.
    Some of us even remember the Symbian phone made by Siemens, the SX1

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,941
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's coming out now that dt wants to renegotiate the terms.

    Wonder if Softbank will oblige

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,621
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    It's coming out now that dt wants to renegotiate the terms.

    Wonder if Softbank will oblige
    So it's not happening? I'd laugh hard if this breaks the merger.

    I say Sprint will bend but no lower than $20B.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,767
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Right, but T-Mo's new $15 and $25 plans (guaranteed for three whole years!) will act as a smokescreen, hiding the loss of competitive, affordable MVNO plans long enough that most of us will have forgotten why rates have crept up...



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Funny my Comcast with TV and internet has gone up over $25 in the last few months. There is no MVNO with broadband just AT&T and Comcast since they got the city to prevent others competing ISP. When I was with AT&T I paid about $120 a month for limited Nights and Weekend calling plus I paid 25 cents per Text. I don’t care about MVNO. What I want is some real competition with my ISP broadband. Crying about $15 cell plans just nothing compared to ISP prices as more and more cord cutters are making both AT&T and Comcast drive up their ISP service prices since there is almost no competition until more wireless ISP like T-Mobile and others enter the ISP market to homes.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2019, 01:40 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-12-2018, 09:15 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-02-2018, 03:42 PM
  4. TELUS announces merger of TELUS Mobility and TELUS Communications
    By ginblossom in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 09:31 AM
  5. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 03:53 PM

Bookmarks