Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Looks like TMobile is getting their merger

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Funny thing about mergers, some companies promise all kinds of things to get it approved. Then when it does all thoes promises vanish in thin air. A recent example: AT&T is doing exactly what it told Congress it wouldn’t do with Time Warner

"In December 2016, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson told a Senate antitrust subcommittee that AT&T would continue to distribute Time Warner content as widely as possible instead of restricting it to AT&T's own platforms"

fast forward to the present: An AT&T spokesperson told Ars that the $1.2 billion in lost revenue was primarily caused by the decision "not to sell existing content—mainly Friends, The Big Bang Theory, and Fresh Prince—to third parties such as Netflix."
    Wait... what?

That statement about tv channels and the rights to individual shows are completely, totally and very obviously unrelated.

Distributing Time Warner content means channel carriage agreements outside of DirecTV, et al, for what is now Warner Media. That being... TBS, TNT, CNN, Tru, Cartoon Network, HBO, Cinemax. These are all still available for any provider to buy the package rights to and offer to their subscribers.

It has nothing to do with them owning the production rights of shows, series, movies that they’re choosing to air on their own channels. It’s like you’re expecting Harry Potter to suddenly not be on HBO.

Feedback Score
    If true, I’m a happy camper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The whole thing is about 5G, and I don't think that is going to get much support outside the urban cash cows. The T-Mobile CTO has already stated that. Those mmWave nodes cost huge amounts to install, and a lot of places don't even want them.
    What are you talking about mmWave? mmWave isn’t required for 5G although T-Mobile now has lots of mmWave. T-Mobile already has deployed 5G to over 200 million Americans that provides coverage inside your house. The only reason it isn’t faster is T-Mobile currently doesn’t have enough bandwidth for 5GNR Standalone with DSS in spectrum is approved. When T-Mobile gets Sprint band 41 (2.5Ghz ) that Will work with Standalone 5G ( approval expected end of March 2020) and DSS. Verizon is going to be delayed due to vendors equipment being late since they were counting on DSS to provide carrier aggregation with low band and mmWave. The new T-Mobile will have more traditional Sub 4GHz spectrum than AT&T and Verizon combined.

T-Mobile with band 41 that allow by FCC to use High Power User Equipment (HPUE) that extends the range of the cell phones to towers with higher power cell phones transmitter to the cell towers would be economical cost effective for 5G with DSS coverage even in many small towns and metro sites across the USA. This is why Verizon and AT&T will be desperate to buy the CBRS (3.5 GHz) in the FCC June 2020 auction. Last night I had 140 Mbps down on speed test with the new 600 MHz that was three times faster than my friends Verizon phone next to me at the outside bar. Love the free drink he had to buy me after the test on our bet. My old S9 doesn’t even have 5G but that 600 MHz is kicking ***. With DSS and Standalone 5G T- Mobile will be allowed to change all their and Sprint spectrum to deliver both 5G and 4G LTE on the same block of spectrum.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-10-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    do you old women really love it that much to yammer like this about things about which you know absolutely nothing?

Feedback Score

Looks like TMobile is getting their merger

Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    "I'm not a lawyer but to me it sounds like the Sprint CEO may blow it for them."

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post17108925

"The states have a huge advantage after the testimony of the sprint CEO. In other words the states seem to be creaming T-Mobile and Sprint. No judge in their right mind will pass the deal after that.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17108926

"Perhaps Marcelo Claure doesn't really want the merger and decided to tell the truth and throw Legere under the bus. "

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...3#post17108913

"I don't see T-Mobile winning at this point unless something changes. It really sounds like too many holes have been poked in T-Mobile Sprint and Dish arguments in favor of the deal

T-Mobile: sprint won't make it without help, so they need the deal

Sprint: we can survive alone and sb will pay off the debt if needed.

Dish: we didn't build out with our spectrum since everyone talked and doubted and bad mouthed us which hurt out entry to market

You see this stuff on romper room. "

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post17109144

Yes, here's one of your quotes where you talk about Ergen's "fine" testimony:

"Q: You know what you're supposed to do. Ergen: I definitely know. [laughter] Ergen: We've been trying to get into the wireless business for the last ten years... We've never missed a final milestone commitment. Sometimes people try to keep you from entering the marketplace, they can be sneaky. They talk to a reporter, to an analyst"

http://www.innercitypress.com/sdny13...ero121719.html

So as I said, his excuse for doing absolutely nothing with his spectrum, and squatting on it for years, is because "detractors talked to a reporter" apparently that's all it takes to get dish to stop their wireless plans, I guess if the merger is approved, all TMobile has to do is "talk to a reporter" to ensure dish never enters the market. lol never change Charlie, never change. "

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...9#post17109199

It's a minority interest. SoftBank won't be able to affect anything.
    Right, I laughed at his excuse of “detractors” as being the reason he has done absolutely nothing with his spectrum. It is a weak excuse, and made zero sense. Show me where I said though that it would cost them the merger exactly? I think I was pretty open about not being the judge, and not knowing what he would find compelling or not. I know a lot of people like to pretend to know, for some reason they have to give an illusion of knowledge about stuff they don’t know. Just to appear correct. You know the type right? we still don’t know what the judge found compelling or not, it wasn’t a criminal case where 1 piece of evidence would sway a verdict.

SoftBank will be able to affect more than you or me, or anyone here. It remains to be seen how much SoftBank has an influence on the new company. Lemme guess.... you love SoftBank now!!!!! Lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Show me where I said though that it would cost them the merger exactly?
    I didn't say that you said it would cost them the merger. Perhaps you did and I don't recall. But your statement now that Ergen "did fine" certainly contradicts multiple posts you made during the testimony. (I only cited one example today.)

Lemme guess.... you love SoftBank now!!!!! Lol
    You are incorrect. I don't love SoftBank. I consider them as irrelevant as the other minority stockholders in the new company. You're the one who thinks they're going to have an "affect" although you have shown zero evidence to that point. I believe SoftBank is just going to set back and let the T-Mobile and DT executive team run the show.

Feedback Score

Looks like TMobile is getting their merger

I didn't say that you said it would cost them the merger. Perhaps you did and I don't recall. But your statement now that Ergen "did fine" certainly contradicts multiple posts you made during the testimony. (I only cited one example today.)

You are incorrect. I don't love SoftBank. I consider them as irrelevant as the other minority stockholders in the new company. You're the one who thinks they're going to have an "affect" although you have shown zero evidence to that point. I believe SoftBank is just going to set back and let the T-Mobile and DT executive team run the show.
    Well, if you find any post where I said anything different lemme know.

Right, as SoftBank as prone to do lol. One thing SoftBank is known for....is just sitting back and letting others run their high profile investments...lol. Only problem is they aren’t just another minority holder, they now own 27% of the company and are the second largest holder of the new company. They aren’t some guy who owns 100 shares. Also I’m allowed to have any opinion I want, you aren’t the opinion president where you get to judge opinions, when I give you the power to influence my opinions, you’ll be the first I let know, I promise, as far as evidence the merger isn’t even completed yet.....what evidence are you looking for? Leaked nudes of son holding a sign saying “I’m taking over?”

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Right before the judge announced his ruling.... you could hear a pin drop;

https://youtu.be/U7k5FV86qXM

Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    This is good news all around. What's the deal with the other issue being looked at by another Court? This may also be appealed by the States tying it up for another several months or so.

Wondering how fast Tmobile will roll out new APN's for general cross use of spectrum? I guess we'll get a taste of just how confident they were that this was going to happen or not. If the transition seems fairly rapid then they pre-planned as much as possible so some things could change quickly.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    ...... What's the deal with the other issue being looked at by another Court? This may also be appealed by the States tying it up for another several months or so........
    Perhaps but I doubt it. The whole point of the law suit was to placate a constituency. The AGs can now say, "We gave it our best shot. Time to move on."
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The whole thing is about 5G, and I don't think that is going to get much support outside the urban cash cows. The T-Mobile CTO has already stated that. Those mmWave nodes cost huge amounts to install, and a lot of places don't even want them.
    True but urban customers aren't the ultimate cash cow. They need large company contracts and pull off the US government off ATT and sign with them. That's where the huge profit margins are at. They need to beef up their rural coverage if they want a remote chance attracting such customers. Capacity is great and all but coverage is also important.

This is good news all around. What's the deal with the other issue being looked at by another Court? This may also be appealed by the States tying it up for another several months or so.
    Those other cases are not a threat. This case was the big hurdle. We also have CPUC looking into the merger whom could deny the merger considering CA AG had a stick up their rear about this case. Which is who cares as tmobile can easily keep sprint running in CA as a front to make it look like its two entities and continue operating.

In all, this all seemed like a big shakedown. It'll be hilarious what CWA will do now. They probably dumped so much money into shutting this down and they got nothing out of it. Appeals are coming but good luck undoing the merger once the legal process starts. Those appeals wont stop anything and I'm sure tmobile will not wait for the appeals this time around, AGs could request a halt of merging the two entities until appeals are resolved but the chances of that being granted is extremely unlikely, especially after losing this case.

Feedback Score
    Thank goodness! I cannot believe it took so long. I have no idea what the regulations were thinking. The only way to put competitive pressure on T & VZW is to bolster Tmo with the Sprint addition. Sprint was always second (or third) tier on its own. Now Tmo will have the POPs and spectrum it needs to put real pressure on Verizon & AT&T.

I’m not even a Tmo customer (well I have one small hotspot) but have been a long time T and now recently VZW customer. Sprints always been a joke. Now Tmo will have real leverage.

Still, with Legere leaving, Tmo will likely loose much of its mojo.

Who knows, DISH, Xfinity, Google, Amazon may finally get off of their collective a$$es and do something with all of that spectrum they’re hoarding. FCC should make them give it back if it’s laid fallow for 3 or 5 yrs. Or force them to sublet it out at reasonable rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I'm not really sure the judge has much authority to add extra conditions. The AG's said their main concern was removing a competitor from the market.
    But it is possible (at this point with us not knowing any of the details) to speculate the carriers may have negotiated something to bring it to a conclusion.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Feedback Score

Wondering how fast Tmobile will roll out new APN's for general cross use of spectrum? I guess we'll get a taste of just how confident they were that this was going to happen or not. If the transition seems fairly rapid then they pre-planned as much as possible so some things could change quickly.
    Even if appealed by the states, T-Mobile would be able to complete the merger during the appeal, unless a court ordered a stay which seems highly unlikely.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 02-11-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    True but urban customers aren't the ultimate cash cow. They need large company contracts and pull off the US government off ATT and sign with them. That's where the huge profit margins are at. They need to beef up their rural coverage if they want a remote chance attracting such customers. Capacity is great and all but coverage is also important.
    True.
    Most US government contracts may not ever leave AT&T, since they might have been modified to include FirstNet priority access.

State and smaller government contracts might be possible to wrangle from the other two. As you said, expanded coverage will be key to getting those contracts.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast