Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Looks like TMobile is getting their merger

Feedback Score

Looks like TMobile is getting their merger

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/10/b...le-merger.html

I guess no more playing arm chair CEO for "what will Sprint do" lol anyways, congrats TMobile, you got your merger. Announcement expected Tuesday it says.

Feedback Score
    Hmm, maybe I should run to boost tomorrow and grab one of those iPhone 7's they are basically giving away....$80 a month for HD video, plus 50gb of hotspot as a TMobile MVNO?.....hmmmmmmm.....lol

Feedback Score
    The AGs case was weak at best, not surprised. Now hopefully they'll be more serious about rural coverage as a combined entity.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am surprised based on negative reports. I think the Judge will add some extra concessions. Not sure I will be happy if T-Mobile has to give up More Sprint spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    you got your merger. Announcement expected Tuesday it says.
    You don't say? I remember in mid-December so many in the forum were taking their victory laps saying that Ergen's testimony had sunk the merger or Marcelo's testimony had sunk it, or they found an email from Son that blew the deal.

With that many supposed missteps at the trail, I can't imagine how the AG's managed to lose this case.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    The AGs case was weak at best, not surprised. Now hopefully they'll be more serious about rural coverage as a combined entity.
    That is how I see it. Only a dozen states attempted to take power over the FCC and DOJ to try to stop two national companies from a merger. That merger will add 5GNR even to small rural markets where the majority of states support this merger.

Besides SoftBank is having major issues on several of their other startups that won’t have funded Sprint to become competitive. https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/...are-everywhere

And https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/07/so...draising-lags/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I am surprised based on negative reports. I think the Judge will add some extra concessions. Not sure I will be happy if T-Mobile has to give up More Sprint spectrum.
    I'm not really sure the judge has much authority to add extra conditions. The AG's said their main concern was removing a competitor from the market. I don't think that having the new company put spectrum up for sale would address that concern.

When the DOJ and the FCC were negotiating to add Ergen & Boost, they could say we'll sign off if you agree to this and if Ergen agrees to that. The judge obviously can't get that involved with a settlement.

I look for the decision to be more of a rejection of the AG's lawsuit. Now perhaps the judge would mandate things that T-Mobile already offered such as the cheap plans for 3 years and free plans for law enforcement and that sort of stuff. But I don't think any conditions will go much beyond that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    We’re getting all that midband spectrum for 5G!
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You don't say? I remember in mid-December so many in the forum were taking their victory laps saying that Ergen's testimony had sunk the merger or Marcelo's testimony had sunk it, or they found an email from Son that blew the deal.

With that many supposed missteps at the trail, I can't imagine how the AG's managed to lose this case.
    I don't recall anyone saying it "blew the trial" at all. Do you have a link to those? I recall some saying they were questionable at best, and certainly raised doubts. Those still seem to be valid, as we have no clue what the judge based his decision on, and what, if any, stipulations the judge included in his judgment. Me personally, I remember saying ergen presented himself better than expected and did fine. Do I think dish will follow through on their plans? Not at all, but, if they do, I hope they provide stiff competition to the other carriers. Sometimes, be careful what you wish for. There is no guarantee this turns out roses for TMobile in the end, as we have seen with previous large mergers. Just think, TMobile is now 27% owned by SoftBank, you know, that company that has no clue what they are doing according to some, and is ran by baffoons.

Feedback Score
    Funny thing about mergers, some companies promise all kinds of things to get it approved. Then when it does all thoes promises vanish in thin air. A recent example: AT&T is doing exactly what it told Congress it wouldn’t do with Time Warner

"In December 2016, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson told a Senate antitrust subcommittee that AT&T would continue to distribute Time Warner content as widely as possible instead of restricting it to AT&T's own platforms"

fast forward to the present: An AT&T spokesperson told Ars that the $1.2 billion in lost revenue was primarily caused by the decision "not to sell existing content—mainly Friends, The Big Bang Theory, and Fresh Prince—to third parties such as Netflix."

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    We’re getting all that midband spectrum for 5G!
    Last night after watching the XFL at a local sports bar I got 140 Mbps down and 40 Mbps plus up with Speedtest with my old S9 on T-MOBILE. Now this is something new in speed since T-Mobile wasn’t over 40 Mbps down there a two months ago. When DSS comes out after the 3GPP expected Standalone 5G expected to be approved end of March. Not sure when DSS rolls out but it should be long before Sprint’s Network is completely Re-Farmed and shutdown.

What I am happy about, I can see the day I call Comcast that I use for home broadband and tell them they are fired.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-10-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Now hopefully they'll be more serious about rural coverage as a combined entity.
    The whole thing is about 5G, and I don't think that is going to get much support outside the urban cash cows. The T-Mobile CTO has already stated that. Those mmWave nodes cost huge amounts to install, and a lot of places don't even want them.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I, for one, am glad that it's about to be over, whatever the outcome.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Do I think dish will follow through on their plans? Not at all, but, if they do, I hope they provide stiff competition to the other carriers.
    Yep, also think Dish can't pull this off. As I recall, they were required to build out a new 5G network, which is a huge task.

Feedback Score
    I don't recall anyone saying it "blew the trial" at all. Do you have a link to those?
    "I'm not a lawyer but to me it sounds like the Sprint CEO may blow it for them."

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post17108925

"The states have a huge advantage after the testimony of the sprint CEO. In other words the states seem to be creaming T-Mobile and Sprint. No judge in their right mind will pass the deal after that.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17108926

"Perhaps Marcelo Claure doesn't really want the merger and decided to tell the truth and throw Legere under the bus. "

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...3#post17108913

"I don't see T-Mobile winning at this point unless something changes. It really sounds like too many holes have been poked in T-Mobile Sprint and Dish arguments in favor of the deal

T-Mobile: sprint won't make it without help, so they need the deal

Sprint: we can survive alone and sb will pay off the debt if needed.

Dish: we didn't build out with our spectrum since everyone talked and doubted and bad mouthed us which hurt out entry to market

You see this stuff on romper room. "

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post17109144

Me personally, I remember saying ergen presented himself better than expected and did fine.
    Yes, here's one of your quotes where you talk about Ergen's "fine" testimony:

"Q: You know what you're supposed to do. Ergen: I definitely know. [laughter] Ergen: We've been trying to get into the wireless business for the last ten years... We've never missed a final milestone commitment. Sometimes people try to keep you from entering the marketplace, they can be sneaky. They talk to a reporter, to an analyst"

http://www.innercitypress.com/sdny13...ero121719.html

So as I said, his excuse for doing absolutely nothing with his spectrum, and squatting on it for years, is because "detractors talked to a reporter" apparently that's all it takes to get dish to stop their wireless plans, I guess if the merger is approved, all TMobile has to do is "talk to a reporter" to ensure dish never enters the market. lol never change Charlie, never change. "

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...9#post17109199

There is no guarantee this turns out roses for TMobile in the end, as we have seen with previous large mergers. Just think, TMobile is now 27% owned by SoftBank, you know, that company that has no clue what they are doing according to some, and is ran by baffoons.
    It's a minority interest. SoftBank won't be able to affect anything.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast