Thread: Has Verizon prepaid gotten better?

Feedback Score

Has Verizon prepaid gotten better?

I had been on AT&T postpaid and then prepaid for the better part of the last 20 years. I wanted to take advantage of their 25 GB Walmart special so I ported to Verizon double data special 16 GB plan. I was thinking to try it for a month or so. I was very apprehensive due to reading reports, mostly from 2018 or earlier, of very bad deprioritization and throttling of prepaid users right off the bat. However our experience has been the opposite. Verizon prepaid is faster at my house, faster at daughter's highschool, faster at work and generally been faster than AT&T prepaid around Austin downtown, North Austin and Round Rock areas as well as in Dripping springs, etc.

So has Verizon finally allowed their prepaid to run at higher QoS than previously?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    If it's anything like Red Pocket Verizon then nothing has changed. My speeds slow to a crawl right around 9:00 at work (Downtown DC) No noticeable slowdown on a Verizon business account phone when compared side by side. My Red Pocket ATT phone just keeps chugging along with very usable data all day.

If I walk just a few blocks from work everything goes back to normal on Verizon as I am working off a different tower. It's very area specific.

Feedback Score
    If VP works for ya I'd stick with them. Visible/Verizon is 3-4 times faster then At&t Prepaid at my house but I still need At&t's voice coverage so I'm stickin with At&t for now. If Verizon's coverage ever gets better in a few areas I frequent I'll definitely port my main number to VP or Visible. $25.00 for unlimited data with Hotspot is kinda hard to beat!!

Feedback Score
    Location, location, location (apparently).

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Location, location, location (apparently).
    Always true...
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rubiconjp View Post
    I had been on AT&T postpaid and then prepaid for the better part of the last 20 years. I wanted to take advantage of their 25 GB Walmart special so I ported to Verizon double data special 16 GB plan. I was thinking to try it for a month or so. I was very apprehensive due to reading reports, mostly from 2018 or earlier, of very bad deprioritization and throttling of prepaid users right off the bat. However our experience has been the opposite. Verizon prepaid is faster at my house, faster at daughter's highschool, faster at work and generally been faster than AT&T prepaid around Austin downtown, North Austin and Round Rock areas as well as in Dripping springs, etc.

So has Verizon finally allowed their prepaid to run at higher QoS than previously?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using HoFo mobile app
    It really depends on your location. In my area, my experience on Verizon Prepaid and Verizon Postpaid has been identical. I get the same fast speeds, up to 200Mb/s+ speeds(over 100Mb/s in most areas, over 200Mb/s in some and under 100Mb/s in some). I have still yet to see any throttling on Verizon prepaid. There are a couple of areas I'm at that have slowdowns. But that is because the cell tower is too crowded. And Postpaid and prepaid both drop down to the same speeds on those.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 3a, Pixel 4XL, Moto X4, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Wife used to have Verizon Prepaid and it was bullet proof. Now she has Visible and again, it has been bullet proof so far, as is the case for most users.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Wife used to have Verizon Prepaid and it was bullet proof. Now she has Visible and again, it has been bullet proof so far, as is the case for most users.
    Are you saying Verizon Prepaid and Visible are equal in terms of quality?