Thread: AT&T RAZR V3xx locks up with Ting SIM

Feedback Score

AT&T RAZR V3xx locks up with Ting SIM

I don't know if anyone will see this, but here goes...

I recently acquired a RAZR V3xx when I learned that it supports 3G (and thus could still work on AT&T for as long as 3G lasts), but I only have Ting, which is a T-Mobile MVNO.

Anyway, I got it unlocked, but when I insert the SIM, it works initially, but then locks up hard, and I have to pull the battery to turn it off. When I put an inactive AT&T, Cingular or even a PacBell SIM in, it works fine. No locking up or anything.

I thought maybe the firmware might have something to do with it (I have no idea why that would be so, but I can't think of any other reason?), but I can't seem to find any information about how to upgrade it, or even where to find any files to download.

So, I'm at a bit of a loss here as to how to get this sorted out....

If anyone can help, that would be great!

Thank you!!

c

EDIT: Some new information: apparently, modmymoto.com had firmware for the V3xx, but they're apparently defunct now, and the Wayback Machine, unsurprisingly (because they were only available to registered users), didn't capture any of the actual files Is there someplace else where these files exist?
    Last edited by cc333; 02-08-2020 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Updated with some new information

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You might try the XDA Developers internet site for the file/fix you need.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Hmm, OK, thanks. I'll take a look.

In the meantime, I managed to find another Ting SIM in my stash of SIMs, and it worked fine without locking up!

So I guess it was the SIM after all. Interesting.

c

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It was no"Ting" at all

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    You might try the XDA Developers internet site for the file/fix you need.
    There are no discussions or even forums about old feature phones on XDA, only Android smartphones.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It is the best resource that I could suggest if the information was not available elsewhere. It wouldn't hurt to look though.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is the best resource that I could suggest if the information was not available elsewhere. It wouldn't hurt to look though.
    He won't find anything about his phone there and will simply waste time looking for answers. XDA is the best resource exclusively for smartphones running Android.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tad, fair enough. Can you suggest any other sources of information for the OP ??

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tad, fair enough. Can you suggest any other sources of information for the OP ??
    Since his problem was with a SIM card from a particular provider, I would suggest contacting their tech support. But he already resolved the problem by using a different SIM, so it doesn't matter now.

Feedback Score
    If you still have that SIM and it's active, I'm happy to replace it no charge. Drop me an email at mitch[@]ting[dot]com.

Feedback Score
    Wow, thank you! I actually have a spare SIM already, but I appreciate the offer nevertheless!

I do have a theory as to why the SIM doesn't work, however: texts.

The reason is, that because I've used that SIM on several very old phones (Nokia 5190, MicroTAC Select 6000e, and GSM StarTAC 7000g), the texts I'd received while the SIM was in one of those phones got stored on the SIM, rather than the phone's memory, as is more comon with newer models.

Anyway, apparently the V3xx doesn't like that, and it causes it to freeze up.

I'm going to try to copy those texts off of it and see if that solves the problem.

c

Feedback Score
    OK, well, that didn't work. Deleted everything from the problem SIM, and it didn't change a ting (HA HA HA! ).

Fortunately, I was able to transfer the activation to the spare SIM (discovering, in the process, that Ting suddenly (like since Monday!) won't allow any phone without LTE. Bah!), and now everything works as it should.

c