Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 8800L MiFi Speeds And Config Tips

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    168
    Feedback Score
    0

    8800L MiFi Speeds And Config Tips

    So, I recently switched to VZW PostPaid and I have a pair of 8800L MiFi's attached to two of my unlimited lines. They're a decent deal for $10/per month (each, 50% off promotion, hardware separate). Though the only get 15GB/mo each before being hard throttled to ~0.5-1Mbit/sec.

    I've been test driving them with my phone connected via Wifi (802.11AC 80MHz) and then best I have seen so far in the NJ/PA area is ~90-120Mbit/sec. In some locations where my phone gets 140-220Mbit (iPhone XSM) the 8800L is running in the 95-110 Mbit/sec (DL) range.

    Both are full updated with the "S" firmware that came out last Summer. I've been playing with the GPS setting, but this seems to do nothing other than run down the battery. Battery life seems much less than my former MR1100 on T. But the 8800L's seem much more stable.

    Anyone getting >100Mbit with these? With the 80Mhz wide wifi, my laptop connects at 866Mbit so there should be more than enough Wifi bandwidth to exceed this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,111
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    So, I recently switched to VZW PostPaid and I have a pair of 8800L MiFi's attached to two of my unlimited lines. They're a decent deal for $10/per month (each, 50% off promotion, hardware separate). Though the only get 15GB/mo each before being hard throttled to ~0.5-1Mbit/sec.

    I've been test driving them with my phone connected via Wifi (802.11AC 80MHz) and then best I have seen so far in the NJ/PA area is ~90-120Mbit/sec. In some locations where my phone gets 140-220Mbit (iPhone XSM) the 8800L is running in the 95-110 Mbit/sec (DL) range.

    Both are full updated with the "S" firmware that came out last Summer. I've been playing with the GPS setting, but this seems to do nothing other than run down the battery. Battery life seems much less than my former MR1100 on T. But the 8800L's seem much more stable.

    Anyone getting >100Mbit with these? With the 80Mhz wide wifi, my laptop connects at 866Mbit so there should be more than enough Wifi bandwidth to exceed this.
    The jet packs seem to always be low priority on the network compared to a phone. Also the phones seem to have better antennas then these jet packs.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    168
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah, I had a suspicion they were. Data speeds seemed more variable and often slower than my phone. Same on AT&T, though they won't admit it. But at least my T hotspots were fully unlimited and not throttled after 15GB like VZW.

    I'm still carrying two hotspots on T that are fully unlimited just in case. But boy are they expensive $140/mo total. Don't really need them, but have to give up real unlimited data.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,802
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Anyone see the video throttle removed from there jetpack line recently ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    168
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hmmm, I’ll have to check. But it was there a couple weeks ago. I did notice that on the MiFi’s the video throttle seems to be per Wi-Fi client rather than one for the entire MiFi.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Anyone see the video throttle removed from there jetpack line recently ?
    Have you experienced this?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,802
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Have you experienced this?

    Yes there is no more video throttle on my jetpack line

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Yes there is no more video throttle on my jetpack line
    Do you have the prepaid jetpack unlimited data line?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ROLLTIDE
    Posts
    4,802
    Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Do you have the prepaid jetpack unlimited data line?
    no it's post paid

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    168
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mine is also post paid. I tethered my phone (XSM) via Wi-Fi to my 8800L last night and ran the Fast.com app (Netflix). Still throttled ~4 Mbit/s.

    Haven’t tried from a tablet or laptop yet.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Similar Threads

  1. LTE MiFi's with good speeds and pings
    By cricket101 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM
  2. Need help with Motorola V60i Info and Modding Tips???
    By Trurida17 in forum Motorola Modding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 10:48 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-09-2003, 07:34 PM
  4. Improving Computer Speed and Gaming Performance...
    By hardtarget35 in forum Tech Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 03:27 PM
  5. T68i theme maker and T68i tips
    By Killa-b in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2002, 08:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks