Thread: Android 9.0 (pie) Won't Install

Feedback Score

Android 9.0 (pie) Won't Install

Hello;

I have been all over Google, but have not been able to find a recommendation that works for the following......

Phone: TF/Moto G6/Verizon (not BYOP)
    Android version: 8.0.0
    Last Security Patch pushed and installed: Feb 1, 2019

After the last security patch install, I was immediately pushed an Android 9.0 update notification.
    I have successfully downloaded, and verified, the 9.0 update over 20 times.

Each time the file is downloaded, I then hit "Install" and the phone reboots.
    Unfortunately, when the phone reboots, an icon eventually appears on the screen showing a dead "Droid" with a red warning triangle coming out of its' chest.
    The only text (below the Droid) stays "Error".

The phone then (after a minute or so) comes back to life, and a notification states something to the effect of:
    "Could not Install Update". No changes were made to system.
    There is no other information, such as error codes, diagnostics, etc., given.

I have cleared Data and Cache in just about every app (system app or other) I can find. Including "Download Manager".
    I have approximately 20GB of internal storage available, as well as over 125GB of SD memory (formatted as "Internal").
    The phone has 3GB of memory (RAM), but I cannot find a flag to see how much is actually occupied.
    I have turned off as many apps as possible in an attempt free memory.

Can anyone recommend something I could try to install the 9.0?
    I have read conflicting reports that upgrading TF Android versions may, or may not, be possible.

If not, how can I disable the constant 9.0 Update notification? I receive approximately 10 of these notifications per week, and I would like them to stop if I cannot do the install.

As always, thank you all for your help.

Feedback Score
    Maybe try your next update attempt without the SD card installed. The fact that you have it formatted as internal storage could be causing problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    Maybe try your next update attempt without the SD card installed. The fact that you have it formatted as internal storage could be causing problems.
    Thank you.
    This did not help.
    I also tried installing the update without a sim, and with an AT&T sim.
    No luck.

Does anyone have insight if Tracfones will update to a newer Android version?
    I have read both yes and no reports, but I do not think I would have been pushed the update if it was not usable.

Thank you again.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I think the carrier Tracfone is the one who releases the update when they have tested it on their network and are satisfied it is stable. Might not be anything you did, could be as simple as a corrupted download. You should reach out to Tracfone technical support. I wish I had a solution, I can only offer my advice on what to do next. Is the phone still functioning with the prior Android OS ? If so, all is not lost. If you haven't already, you should back up your data/files.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    My G6 was updated to 9 a while back with no problems.

Sounds like a RAM problem.

Try running a RAM test app from the PS and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I think the carrier Tracfone is the one who releases the update when they have tested it on their network and are satisfied it is stable. Might not be anything you did, could be as simple as a corrupted download.
    Moto phones have traditionally got OS updates directly from Motorola Mobility. They know which phone is in which service. I have had two Moto phones do OS version updates while running on Tracfone. One a SIM swapped Verizon branded phone, and the other a BYOP phone. Both had the upgrade marked as being from Motorola Mobility. I don't think Tracfone has anything to do with this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribby1 View Post
    Thank you. This did not help. I also tried installing the update without a sim, and with an AT&T sim. No luck. Does anyone have insight if Tracfones will update to a newer Android version? I have read both yes and no reports, but I do not think I would have been pushed the update if it was not usable. Thank you again.
    do you have any antivirus software apps installed on your phone ?? you can disable the software update alert if you wish - https://forums.republicwireless.com/...roid-8-0/28645

Feedback Score
    Op, my neighbor bought a Moto G6 from TracFone last summer & I helped setting it up, with it being his first smartphone. And he doesn't have internet service, so we did updates at my house using WiFi.
    I can't help you with your issue, but can tell you his phone updated to Pie with no issues. It took awhile if IIRC, about 30 minutes or more to complete. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    The phone has 3GB of memory (RAM), but I cannot find a flag to see how much is actually occupied.
    https://www.guidingtech.com/check-ra...-android-oreo/

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Download and run the "CPU-Z" app, it'll give you that info and a whole lot more about your phone.

Name:  Moto-E6-RAM-info.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  30.1 KB

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone recommend something I could try to install the 9.0?
    Next step, as I see it, Is a full wipe/factory reset.
    Something is corrupted and causing the failure.
    Finding/correcting that would be difficult/impossible.

Backup all your data some place off the phone as this will erase everything.

Reset, do minimal configuration (like skip Google account/app restore).
    Just enough to download and update.

Beyond that, contact Motorola but that would probably direct you to TF. And all either is likely to offer is a replacement. It's cheaper than paying a tech for hours of work to find a fix (not that TF has anyone capable anyhow).

The G6 is/will soon be 2 generations old (G8 Plus already out, others due in soon).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny180 View Post

Sounds like a RAM problem.

Try running a RAM test app from the PS and see what happens.
    Hi;

I agree with this. I downloaded "Phone Check (and Test)" from PS.
    This is the only app I found that actually performs a RAM test instead of just reporting how much RAM the phone contains.
    This app reports NOK (not OK) for the RAM test.
    It does not show how much, or which blocks of, RAM is bad...but it does report bad RAM.

Note: this is the refurbished phone TF sent me to replace the new phone I sent back for non-functioning Bluetooth.

I then turned off the Motorola Update Services "Software Update Alert" flag (thank you October 262).

Finally, I performed the factory reset, then with minimal configuration, attempted the install.
    No luck.

I reset again, and restored my data and settings from Google Drive.
    This did not help, and "Phone Check" still reported bad RAM.

I will just live with Oreo until my next phone.

Thank you all again.
    Please consider this matter closed.