Thread: change from verizon sim card to at&t sim card on a tracfone

Feedback Score

change from verizon sim card to at&t sim card on a tracfone

Hello all,
    I have the Moto e5 phone with tracfone, for quite some time. In it right now is a verizon sim card probably cdma. Where I live I can not get any bars on the phone except going to the window near a 5 mile away cell tower on a second floor. I used to have a antenna repeater that worked untill verizon dropped 3g and my repeater dose not have 4g init. My neighbor had the same problem, untill she bought a phone off of consumer cellular. It must have at&t or t-mobile on it, because she gets upto 3 bars anywhere in her house. She dose not have a repeater antenna. No internet or anything. her house is only 20 feet from mine. So what do I have to do after i put the at&t sim card in to the moto and exchange it for the verizon card?? Or is it some thing with Consumer cellular? I think it has to do with verizon shutting down there 3g. Any where I go, it get plenty of bars. Sorry about text being so long. Can I just pop the at&t sim card in and do some thing in programing? Or hold on for 24 hours and see it it works? Because I just did that and in settings it show at&t. What do you think? OH, When getting the phone I bought a 3 in 1 sim card package,that is why I have 3 sim cards. Thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you switch to At&t you will have to first contact Tracfone to request the carrier change and you will need to use/install an At&t SIM card. What model phone are you using ? Would you be willing to change your phone if it is incompatible ? Keep in mind that coverage with any carrier is not the same for all people with every phone everywhere.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Like @veriztd said. First make sure your phone is compatible will the ATT netwrok; if should be. Then put the ATT sim from the 3 pack in the phone. Keep the phone off. Contact TF and tell them what you're doing (Vzw to ATT). They should walk you through the rest.
    Use chat.

But; what I'd also try first. Do you have VoLTE enabled on your phone? Depending how long you've been using it maybe there wasn't all the VoLTE talk and you didn't pay attention to that enabling, or your vzw sim was never provisioned for VoLTE even. If you never enabled VoLTE or the sim wasn't set up, you're making calls on the old tech cdma that vzw is cutting out. You'll find that with a phone using VoLTE your calls will be mush better. I have the same situation as you. My 3G started getting cut back with the change. I switched my phones to VoLTE and solved. Still not great because of location but much better then what the 3G had become. Check the VoLTE first; if you're neighbor's ATT is still allot better, switch. But make sure ATT will be good at other places you use your phone often.

If you don't know what VoLTE is or how to check if it's enabled; let us know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweedow View Post
    Hello all,
    I have the Moto e5 phone with tracfone, for quite some time. In it right now is a verizon sim card probably cdma. Where I live I can not get any bars on the phone except going to the window near a 5 mile away cell tower on a second floor. I used to have a antenna repeater that worked untill verizon dropped 3g and my repeater dose not have 4g init. My neighbor had the same problem, untill she bought a phone off of consumer cellular. It must have at&t or t-mobile on it, because she gets upto 3 bars anywhere in her house. She dose not have a repeater antenna. No internet or anything. her house is only 20 feet from mine. So what do I have to do after i put the at&t sim card in to the moto and exchange it for the verizon card?? Or is it some thing with Consumer cellular? I think it has to do with verizon shutting down there 3g. Any where I go, it get plenty of bars. Sorry about text being so long. Can I just pop the at&t sim card in and do some thing in programing? Or hold on for 24 hours and see it it works? Because I just did that and in settings it show at&t. What do you think? OH, When getting the phone I bought a 3 in 1 sim card package,that is why I have 3 sim cards. Thanks
    Consumer Cellular uses AT&T and T-Mobile. Try to find out which the neighbor has.

On your E5 you can find what it is using for voice by dialing: *#*#4636#*#*

That will bring up a test/info menu. Touch Phone information. Look for Voice Network Type and VoLTE Provisioned. That will tell you if you are running CDMA or VoLTE for voice. If you activated the E5 with TF-Verizon in about the past year and a half you probably have VoLTE. CDMA is a dead end. Vz is shutting it down at the end of 2020.

Switching a TF BYOP to other carriers is easy, but it takes more than just changing the SIM. You have to contact TF and request a transfer to the different SIM. You can do it in your online TF account yourself, but it is recommended to do it by chat with the chat agent documenting your service units and time balances at the start before doing the transfer.

You will need to change the APN for the different carriers.

The AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs are only good for one activation. I'm not sure about the Verizon SIM. Transferring between TF carriers deactivates the previous carrier. You won't be able to go back to a previous carrier without a new SIM and transfer by TF.

Good luck

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I am certain that the first 5 or 6 numbers on the SIM card indicates the cellular carrier and that a new SIM will be required to switch carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweedow View Post
    Can I just pop the at&t sim card in and do some thing in programing? Or hold on for 24 hours and see it it works? Because I just did that and in settings it show at&t. What do you think? OH, When getting the phone I bought a 3 in 1 sim card package,that is why I have 3 sim cards. Thanks
    You might be able to tell the best carrier signal by temporarily putting in the AT&T and T-Mobile SIMS and using a signal app like SignalCheck Lite. It will not be as accurate as using an activated SIM, but can give you a baseline for comparison. Don't think you will be seeing LTE signal, but the 3G UMTS signal. The active Verizon SIM will see the LTE signal. More likely your neighbor is using AT&T instead of T-Mobile in an outlying area. TMO usually sucks.

Yes, do check if your Verizon service is VoLTE. Many are seeing CDMA being shut down long before the final closing date. Verizon is also using some alternate LTE radio bands that are weak in some areas. My signal strength has dropped a lot since they started using mostly B66 a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 02-06-2020 at 05:57 PM.