Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: T-Mobile & Sprint now verify call with SHAKEN/ STIR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    If real environment test, it doesn't show prepaid get lower priority.
    I own both Metro and T-Mobile postpaid, I work in downtown core of Dallas. Network congestion all the time all day long, there is no detectable differences between Metro and postpaid TMobile

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    I've used both as well, and in congested areas their is noticable deprioritization on metro. They aren't lying when they say metro is a lower data priority. Metro is on a lower QCI than TMobile postpaid/prepaid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    When did they change that and is it available across their prepaid? Prepaid is more than a single 'flagship'.
    I didn't say anything about a single flagship. I said TMobile is generally good about giving their prepaid brands the same feature set as postpaid. They gave their flagship prepaid brand (metro by TMobile) the same feature set. As to why they didn't include it in their TMobile prepaid brand, who knows, maybe they feel the base isn't large enough to warrant it, but they did offer it to their flagship prepaid brand.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    I didn't say anything about a single flagship. I said TMobile is generally good about giving their prepaid brands the same feature set as postpaid. They gave their flagship prepaid brand (metro by TMobile) the same feature set. As to why they didn't include it in their TMobile prepaid brand, who knows, maybe they feel the base isn't large enough to warrant it, but they did offer it to their flagship prepaid brand.
    It's not just Tmobile. I shouldn't have singled them out unfairly. Actually kudos to them for including it on Metro. Sorry for any attitude passed on by me.

Congress pushed for this to make a concrete effort to stamp out robocalls yet so far its being treated as pretty much a premium feature at least for the most part and that certainly wasn't the intent. I'm not sure how Sprint is dealing with this.

I have to look at the Stir Shaken spec to see how this is being accomplished through the network. I suspect that they just aren't flagging all calls running through their networks in order to make the exception for non premium users. This will make a great project for me!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    It's not just Tmobile. I shouldn't have singled them out unfairly. Actually kudos to them for including it on Metro. Sorry for any attitude passed on by me.

Congress pushed for this to make a concrete effort to stamp out robocalls yet so far its being treated as pretty much a premium feature at least for the most part and that certainly wasn't the intent. I'm not sure how Sprint is dealing with this.

I have to look at the Stir Shaken spec to see how this is being accomplished through the network. I suspect that they just aren't flagging all calls running through their networks in order to make the exception for non premium users. This will make a great project for me!
    I wouldn’t expect sprint to push this to boost. Sprint is weird with their prepaid. They don’t give boost a ton of features (no WiFi calling, no volte, absolutely zero data roaming) but yet, after a year of service payments they will allow a customer to finance a device through sprint financing, on boost, for $1 down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This should help to kill more SPAM calls but those Spam guys will find another work around before Long.

“ The verification program, using a system known as SHAKEN/STIR, validates that calls from another network came from an actual caller on that network. That allows the receiving party to see some kind of symbol or alert informing them that the call is verified as real, theoretically encouraging them to pick up the phone because they can be relatively confident that an actual person is on the line.”

“ T-Mobile has already started verifying calls between its customers as well as with AT&T and Comcast customers. But it still doesn’t validate calls from Verizon customers, and AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint have announced even fewer call verification partnerships with major providers so far. Sprint also announced today that it would authenticate calls with Comcast.”

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/4/21...robocalls-spam
    Well, I hope that this will really stop those scammers and spammers from calling us. I've read thousands of complaints about them filed by people at consumer boards like http://whycall.me since years ago.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    I wouldn’t expect sprint to push this to boost. Sprint is weird with their prepaid. They don’t give boost a ton of features (no WiFi calling, no volte, absolutely zero data roaming) but yet, after a year of service payments they will allow a customer to finance a device through sprint financing, on boost, for $1 down.
    My suspicion is that its not that the feature isn't being pushed to prepaid (generally) but that the feature is purposely being blocked/disallowed via class of service because the info is in the call setup which would be the same for all inbound calls to their networks.

Example ATT sends a call to Tmobile and within the call is a tag that says we verified the number is real or we could not verify this number is real and Tmobile sees that and acts accordingly. I don't believe there is a database to query.

Feedback Score
    Shaken/Stir , must have been a Bond lover.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    So here is an overview of how this works. You can see that if the call originator does not participate then this service is useless. The VOIP services, mostly overseas, who are gaining revenue from these robocall farms are unlikely to participate at all.

Beyond that there is no compelling reason not to make this available to all users of a network IF the intention is to block these calls rather than block these calls for a certain class of customers.

Calls coming into the network either with the attached certificate if the originator also has stir/shaken implemented (see image below). The terminating switch grabs the certificate and authenticates it or not from the authenticator database. Even if the carrier has a prepaid or MVNO separate switching network (this is not necessary with class of service and open switching) the only addition would be a link to the authenticator or to share the common link from the carrier.

Where this gets tricky is I don't believe this is implemented anywhere outside of the US and there is a timeline for US and Canadian carriers to implement it. I'm betting smaller carriers here could be exempted from this also.

So all they can really say is 'the inbound call to you cannot be authenticated do you want to accept it?' which requires an app on the end users phone and that may be how the only way they can stop the service from being generally available. They could provide a blanket opt in for this but then you'd risk not getting legitimate calls with no way to choose.

I may try to find an apk of one of these apps and see if any of them work on some prepaid phones I have.

Name:  understanding-stir-shaken-01-d96ac7065c.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  23.9 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2