Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total Wireless (Verizon) - Hotspot Now Available on $35 plan and up

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Total Wireless (Verizon) - Hotspot Now Available on $35 plan and up

Previously you could not use hotspot on Total Wireless.
    Information and discussion about it at Slickdeals
    https://slickdeals.net/f/13839386-to...?src=frontpage

Feedback Score
    I've had a hotspot on TW. I used the 2 line deal $60. One was on a flip phone which didn't use data and the hotspot took the other.

I don't remember where I bought it but its the same "puck" style that Straight Talk used a few years ago. Maybe it couldn't be the "only" device at the time and so this is a new thing. $35 isn't bad depending on how much data is available. Back then it was 8g shared between two. I think more is available now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techzec View Post
    I don't remember where I bought it but its the same "puck" style that Straight Talk used a few years ago. Maybe it couldn't be the "only" device at the time and so this is a new thing.
    This is not a dedicated hotspot device, but an addition to service on a phone. Most phones have hotspot/tether capability now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    This is not a dedicated hotspot device, but an addition to service on a phone. Most phones have hotspot/tether capability now.
    Ok, gotcha. I haven't kept up on TW so misunderstood.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I didn't get that text.

FWIW, hotspot has worked on my unlocked devices since I started with TW (early 2017?).

Not officially allowed but it's been used off and on w/o issue.

It's on the TW site now.
    https://www.totalwireless.com/serviceplan?session=reset

Multi-line plans say 10GB/line for hotspot.

$35 and $50 single line plans too (well plan allowance on cheap one)

But not the $25 plan or the 90 day plan

Last edited by ST Dog; 02-05-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Not officially allowed but it's been used off and on w/o issue.
    Yes, you can use hotspot/tethering a reasonable amount with TF/VZW. I used a total of 3 GB over the many days of the massive power outages in NorCal back in October.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can use hotspot/tethering a reasonable amount with TF/VZW. I used a total of 3 GB over the many days of the massive power outages in NorCal back in October.
    Well now. That's rather a lot in a short period.
    Maybe TF will make it official soon, like TW and ST have.

I do wonder how TW plans to limit usage. And will that only apply to devices that couldn't use hotspot before?

If you have a device that ignores the access controls and exceeds 10GB, is it back to the old conditions and service could be terminated?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    From the SD comments some people have had data speed throttled to 2G (or slower) after getting hotspot enabled (via CSR or text message).

Looks like iPhone users.

Oh, and looks to need iOS 13.x so only iPhone 6S and newer.

Haven't see any limits on Android versions.

Feedback Score
    From the SD comments some people have had data speed throttled to 2G (or slower) after getting hotspot enabled (via CSR or text message).
    Do you have to get TW to enable hotspot in the account? I thought it was always available, and just had to get toggled on in the phone.

I get some speed decrease on hotspot, but nothing like 2G speeds. When using it during the NorCal power outages, it did get under 1 Mbps, but I attribute that to Verizon slowing down the whole network. The outages were of such a large area that everything would have been on generator.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Looks like iPhone users.

Oh, and looks to need iOS 13.x so only iPhone 6S and newer.

Haven't see any limits on Android versions.
    I have been running into a number of people on Reddit that is starting to get no data too. I am wondering if this what is happening too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Do you have to get TW to enable hotspot in the account? I thought it was always available, and just had to get toggled on in the phone.
    Depends, unlocked phones generally don't have to have it enabled separately. They don't ask for permission.

Verizon branded (and iPhones?) check the network for permission. What they would enable makes the Verizon server respond that your phone is authorized. (Similar to Advanced Calling 1.0 and VVM/VoLTE)

Not a clue about TW branded.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I have been running into a number of people on Reddit that is starting to get no data too. I am wondering if this what is happening too.
    I haven't seen Reddit but SD comments were 10s of kbps (like 0.05mbps). That could seem like no data.

One mentioned that adding a new plan restored speeds. Other had luck with corporate resolutions. Others spent hours with CSR (phone and chat) with no improvement.

Typical issues from TF with new features.

I don't intend to change anything. I seldom want/need hot spot and I'll just continue with what works for now

Feedback Score
    Verizon branded (and iPhones?) check the network for permission. What they would enable makes the Verizon server respond that your phone is authorized.
    I could use hotspot with a Verizon branded Moto G4 Play. That was using a TF swapped SIM though, with a 3rd party SIM unlock code. Never asked for permission.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I haven't seen Reddit but SD comments were 10s of kbps (like 0.05mbps). That could seem like no data.

One mentioned that adding a new plan restored speeds. Other had luck with corporate resolutions. Others spent hours with CSR (phone and chat) with no improvement.

Typical issues from TF with new features.

I don't intend to change anything. I seldom want/need hot spot and I'll just continue with what works for now
    Yea, I tried to help someone thinking it was an APN or SIM issue, and this was before I read here. Now I am thinking it could be something with reprovisioning, and it did something to the SIM or tower that really dropped it in the deprioritization list or something. Still not sure what is going on tho.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I could use hotspot with a Verizon branded Moto G4 Play.
    Dunno. Plenty do. The VZW PP E4 (ublocked cia eBay code) my daughter had did. So did my LG G2 (vs980) and G3 (vs985), the Motorola Droid Mini, Ultra, Droid 3, and Droid 4, and my Galaxy S3.

Not relevant to TW, but same with several AT&T branded phones (like a Note 4) when used with overseas SIM (Afghanistan, Kuwait, Liberia) even though they were unlocked (voice,SMS, and data worked fine, just not hot spot)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast