Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What John Legere had to say to Verizon

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

What John Legere had to say to Verizon

Was this really necessary?!?!

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/5g-super-bowl-ads

John Legere | February 02, 2020

It’s Super Bowl time, the ads are back … and something remarkable is happening in wireless. Verizon has just realized who the real network competition is. After years of ignoring T-Mobile, even leaving us out of coverage map comparisons (if you think back, you may remember TV ads from them where they did not even include us!). Now, Verizon’s spending big Super Bowl bucks to advertise JUST AGAINST T-MOBILE’S 5G NETWORK. Not just against T-Mobile as a brand… but actually trying to take on our network! Something they never even cared about before! Why? Because they finally had to admit that we’re the real network competition, especially with the New T-Mobile. And they’re absolutely right.

I feel like I should celebrate. (Honestly, I am! And you should see @NevilleRay and his team!!) Verizon’s spending big bucks to tell people T-Mobile’s 5G network – the first and only nationwide 5G network – is the one to beat. That is INCREDIBLE! Should I write someone in their marketing team a check?

But, also, their ads are just sad. Big Red hired the talented, hilarious Jenny Slate (love you, Jenny!) to do some ‘man on the street’ interviews, comparing their 4G LTE network to T-Mobile’s 5G. That’s right, while the rest of the world has their eye on 5G, they want you to focus on 4G! Don’t get me wrong. 4G has transformed our lives, and we’ve been at the forefront of LTE innovation … but 5G is the future. Verizon has become the sad ex-high school quarterback who’s now living in his mom’s basement, trying to squeeze into that old letterman’s jacket and relive his heydays. “Hey, remember 4G? Remember, guys?” It’s honestly sad to watch.

Face it. Verizon peaked in 2007. And they’re terrified that people are catching on.
    Where’d it all go wrong?

For years, Verizon was the platinum network. I’ll give them that. Then we got LTE and built a more modern, faster LTE network that could go neck and neck for 99% of Americans, but it’s been very much a battle.

Then, came this: Verizon bet wrong on the 5G future. They bet big on millimeter wave 5G, and that was a bad bet. It hasn’t scaled like they thought it would. So Verizon customers are forced to pay a premium for sad, spotty coverage in random parts of some areas of some cities. Just look at Hard Rock stadium in Miami. Big Red spent80 million dollars to boost their spotty 5G in a single stadium. 80 MILLION for a few thousand square feet and it’s STILL hard to find a signal! Imagine if they tried to cover an entire city … or state … or even the whole country.

And when you do find a 5G signal, you need to dodge obstacles like walls, hot dog stands and other people. Even waving your hand in front of the phone can cause the signal to crap out. Hey, down in front! Hope nobody starts the wave at the big game…

Some Verizon customer even created a petition to ban stadium standing.
    Verizon bet wrong on 5G, and they know it. They’re stuck. They’re desperate … because really what is the Verizon brand except ‘network’? If they lose that, they’re toast.
    Now they’re trying to advertise their way out of a crappy strategy.

While Verizon spends massive marketing budget trying desperately to relive their glory days and convince people their 5G is right, T-Mobile remains focused on the future. We already have 5G coverage they simply can’t match anytime soon - the ONLY nationwide 5G network which covers more than 1 million square miles and reaches over 200 million people. Unlike Verizon 5G that can get blocked by basically anything and covers spotty patches of outdoor areas in just 34 cities, T-Mobile 5G provides far-reaching coverage that can go through walls and works indoors and out … in more than 5,000 cities and towns all across the country. That’s about 147x more than Verizon. T-Mobile 5G is #5GThatWorks. Just ask Anthony Anderson’s mama.

Plus, we still have unused low-band spectrum to light up with 5G … and nationwide millimeter wave spectrum to add super-fast hotspot-like coverage in some areas. And we’re poised to give our customers a network Verizon can only dream of should the merger with Sprint move forward with spectrum that will add breadth and speed across the country. (I know they don’t want THAT to happen, because we’ll be an even tougher competitor then!) On top of all that … we’re not charging a dollar more for 5G access, which goes against everything Verizon stands for. Should I go on?

I say keep those ads coming, Verizon, I’m a big fan! And while you stay focused on what once was, at T-Mobile, we’ll keep facing the other direction — the future. Building the biggest and best 5G network in the country! And we won’t stop.
    John Legere
    T-Mobile CEO

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Was this really necessary?!?!

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/5g-super-bowl-ads

John Legere | February 02, 2020
    Yes, it was. It's called doing what you can and must to increase shareholder value.

Verizon has become the sad ex-high school quarterback who’s now living in his mom’s basement, trying to squeeze into that old letterman’s jacket and relive his heydays. “Hey, remember 4G? Remember, guys?” It’s honestly sad to watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I said that photo of a T-Mobile phone with full 5G bars was why T-Mobile went to the effort of installing mmWave in the stadium for the Super Bowl. It didn't matter that almost no T-Mobile customers have the sole T-Mobile phone that can receive mmWave 5G. It was all about the photo.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Watching the Super Bowl yesterday, with all the T-Mobile commercials, was interesting. Especially when there was such a big deal being made about Verizon's 5G mmWave service being available in so many NFL stadiums. One article I read stated "Open-air sports stadiums are one of the few places where a mmWave deployment makes sense since there's enough density to justify building out all the small cells that are required to blanket even a small area with 5G coverage" https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/05/...-nfl-stadiums/.

T-Mobile's commercials were cute, but had an element of desperation . The one where the guy switches his mother to T-Mobile and she keeps calling him from various places to tell him that she has coverage was obviously designed to try to quell people's fears about T-Mobile's well-known coverage issues https://youtu.be/yHz3lJq1Vu0. But they didn't show his mom driving down rural roads, in national parks, or on the outskirts of urban areas. When I said something about this in the group I was watching with, one lady said, "I have T-Mobile and they have free international roaming." Yeah, that's exactly why I used to have T-Mobile too! But I spend maybe 2 to 3 weeks a year outside the U.S., and 49-50 weeks a year in the U.S., and I want good domestic coverage. I know that one of T-Mobile's promises is that if the merger goes through they'll spend more money on improving rural coverage.

While T-Mobile was paying a fortune for those Super Bowl commercials, Verizon was getting free publicity about their 5G network by announcers though Verizon also had a paid commercial that took aim at T-Mobile's exaggerated marketing claims for 5G, and was a really stupid commercial https://youtu.be/yHz3lJq1Vu0, they need a new ad agency.

One person I was watching with insisted that some of the instant replays that were being shown were only possible because of Verizon 5G. I didn't try very hard to explain to her that this was not the case, it was hopeless.
    Last edited by CanadianAngela; 02-03-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    While T-Mobile was paying a fortune for those Super Bowl commercials, Verizon was getting free publicity about their 5G network by announcers...
    No, Verizon wasn't. That "free publicity" was bought and paid for by Verizon as part of the multi-year "partnership" that made Verizon the "Official 5G Innovation Partner of the NFL".

No product or service mentioned in a professional sports broadcast ever comes free! If you're not sure about this point, I suggest you watch the replay on the ref's Microsoft Surface, the Official Tablet of the NFL...

I shudder to think about how many times we'll hear broadcasters slip in a bunch of awkward mentions of all the ways T-Mobile's 5G is improving baseball coverage in Major League Baseball telecasts this spring. That "free publicity" will come as part of T-Mo's partnership with MLB.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    No, Verizon wasn't. That "free publicity" was bought and paid for by Verizon as part of the multi-year "partnership".......
    In fact, every time you see a brand name in any TV, movie, video game, sports event, etc. it's because money has changed hands.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    In fact, every time you see a brand name in any TV, movie, video game, sports event, etc. it's because money has changed hands.
    Some of my favorite examples in recent years, all courtesy CBS' Hawaii Five-0 reboot. (In the first season in particular, the ubiquity of Microsoft Surfaces and Windows Phones bordered on the hilarious!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWpJKzVRN0

Feedback Score
    American No.1 carrier fired full power on No.3.
    That doesn't make sense to me.
    at&t is laughing

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Then, came this: Verizon bet wrong on the 5G future. They bet big on millimeter wave 5G, and that was a bad bet. It hasn’t scaled like they thought it would. So Verizon customers are forced to pay a premium for sad, spotty coverage in random parts of some areas of some cities.
    A) Yes go bad mouth mmwave yet T-Mobile spent $842 mil in the 24 GHz and 28 GHz auctions in mid 2019. Are participating in the CURRENT mmwave auction( final amount not know yet. Probably close to $1 bil or more ) and also bought 28 GHz spectrum in Ohio from First Communications in 2018( keeping price paid a secret ).

This is like a guy calling another guy's girlfriend ugly and unf--kable, but then does it that girl's twin sister.

B) Assumes Verizon doesn't plan on using low or mid band or 5G despite Verizon stating MANY MANY times it would, starting THIS year. So why does Legere keep pushing this false narrative? I guess by the time he can be called out on it he will no longer be CEO so I guess he gets away with blatant lying.

C) Show me ONE person that has been charged extra for 5G

D) I guess he's mad at all the tests showing Verizon's 4G being faster than T-Mobile's 5G

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

What John Legere had to say to Verizon

Nice to see that Verizon cares enough about T-Mobile as a competitive threat that they take out the most expensive airwaves of the year on them.

Great job Magenta! Keep that fire lit . Keep those duopoly apologists coming back for more! JK!

Ads like this are designed to provoke an emotional response. As always some take the bait a bit too seriously letting them know their ad dollars were well spent.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    One person I was watching with insisted that some of the instant replays that were being shown were only possible because of Verizon 5G. I didn't try very hard to explain to her that this was not the case, it was hopeless.
    There was a point in the game (and I only caught the tail end of the plug), but they said some of the cameras were using a 5G connection, rather than the traditional tether back to the truck—perhaps those were thrown in for replays and that's what the person you were watching the game was repeating?

This article covers a bit more of the details: https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-to...per-bowl-2020/

This 5G setup won't be used to broadcast any part of the actual game, but will instead be used at some point during the game between plays to show off what the technology can do.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    ......This article covers a bit more of the details: https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-to...per-bowl-2020/
    This 5G setup won't be used to broadcast any part of the actual game, but will instead be used at some point during the game between plays to show off what the technology can do.
    Bet Verizon paid Fox a lot for that demo.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Nice to see that Verizon cares enough about T-Mobile as a competitive threat that they take out the most expensive airwaves of the year on them.

Great job Magenta! Keep that fire lit . Keep those duopoly apologists coming back for more! JK!

Ads like this are designed to provoke an emotional response. As always some take the bait a bit too seriously letting them know their ad dollars were well spent.
    Exactly. Ads are ephemeral. Today T-Mo craps on mmWave vs. lowband because they've deployed low band first. Tomorrow they'll tout mmWave as "5G Plus" when they've made a significant deployment. God help Verizon if they haven't deployed low band at that time yet or T-Mo will brag they have "both kinds of 5G" when other carriers only have one!

All's fair in love, war, and advertising...

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Exactly. Ads are ephemeral. Today T-Mo craps on mmWave vs. lowband because they've deployed low band first. Tomorrow they'll tout mmWave as "5G Plus" when they've made a significant deployment. God help Verizon if they haven't deployed low band at that time yet or T-Mo will brag they have "both kinds of 5G" when other carriers only have one!

All's fair in love, war, and advertising...

Both AT&T and T-Mobile have “both kinds of 5G” active today.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If you had a mmWave capable device on T-Mobile in the stadium on game day like the S10 5G you would see more of this:

Name:  IMG_0156.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  45.5 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast