Thread: Does the end of 3G mean less coverage????

Feedback Score

Does the end of 3G mean less coverage????

Just wondering if shutting down At&t and Verizon 3G will leave us with less voice coverage in rural areas. Reports on Visible/Verizon's LTE only service have not been very good so far when it comes to voice coverage. Anyone know the real facts?????

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score

Does the end of 3G mean less coverage????

What reports have you read with Verizon’s LTE network? I have noticed no differences in terms of voice, text, and data coverage with native Verizon and Visible, and I’ve been a Visible customer since June 9th, and I live in a town with a lot of trees, grass, and not much else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Just wondering if shutting down At&t and Verizon 3G will leave us with less voice coverage in rural areas. Reports on Visible/Verizon's LTE only service have not been very good so far when it comes to voice coverage. Anyone know the real facts?????
    In the short term there is always some loss in coverage. If only due to terrain and deployment. also, there are areas where ATT has 3G/4G but no LTE yet. Look at the coverage map for Nebraska. ATT bought some coverage there in the last year, and it was mostly 3G/4G then. I just looked now, and much of it appears to be LTE now, but not all. Hopefully they will have completed supporting LTE by then.

There is the risk that their LTE may be Band 14, if that is their only spectrum licensed in that area. So people with phones more than 1 or 2 years old, or 3-4 years old in 2022, may lose coverage.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Lack of 3G is preventing some (like me) to continue to use Visible (Verizon mvno) as many rural areas in N. California, Nevada, Oregon still have lots of 3G and with Visible, it's not possible since they run on LTE only. That said, Visible has bigger problems with lots of churn. Very poorly launched and run company with dismal (non existent) customer service. I wasted my $40. with them. Lesson learned.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It depends, in my state AT&T is using band 2 for 3g with the exception of a few small areas. With LTE using band 12 and 14 coverage is better especially indoors. I never saw my phone switch to 3g even in fringe areas. In markets where 3g is using band 5 it may be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone 11