Thread: Google assistant hands free

Feedback Score

Google assistant hands free

I would like to use Google Assistant to make hands free Google Voice (or Hangouts) calls while driving.

If I call from an Android phone with an assigned phone number, the call is successfully placed using the Android Phone app.

If I call from a device with data only plan, the call fails. I tried installing and configuring the Google Home app and selecting Google Voice as the default Mobile phone app, but still the call is placed with the Phone app rather than over Google Voice data, and therefore fails.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Go to your local phone store and have them show you how to use it.

I can speak commands directly to my my Android phone by saying "Hey Google" and then my phone asks me what i want to do, all hands free. Is that your question/concern ?
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    No, I am asking how to have Google assistant invoke Google Voice or Hangouts rather than the Phone app to make outgoing calls.

Even though I have my device configured to make all calls via Google Voice, and Google Voice set to prefer WiFi/data rather than carrier calling, if I say "Hey Google, call Mom" it dials using the Phone app rather than via Google Voice. This is on both my Moto G6 and Nexus 5X.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    A different thought, try setting your phone defaults to those applications.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, the Phone app is locked as the default in the Android Settings app. There is no option for Google Voice or Hangouts to be the default Phone app in Settings.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Maybe you can find another application that will make it do what you want. Try searching for Google Voice in the Play Store and browse the related applications. Just trying to offer some ideas. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Until Google implements Google Voice integration with its Assistant functionality, I found a workaround which so far is testing out well.

I already had a free incoming DID from IpComms (Callcentric now charges for incoming DID), configured as a verified number in my Google Voice account. I installed GVoice callback and Linphone, both of which I had previously tinkered with. Essentially I followed the instructions on the GVoice callback help page https://gvoicecallback.netlify.com/.

Using Google Assistant voice command I initiate a hands free call. The system Phone app opens momentarily, and GVoice callback kicks in, set to forward to the IpComms free DID, which in the IpComms portal SIP-forwards to Linphone, which in turn is set to auto answer. The current version of Linphone for Android stays on in the background, without impacting battery life too much, and seems to have very reliable and robust push notifications. So the Linphone app has been consistently auto-opening and auto-answering, without an audible ring. I have the Linphone audio codec set to G729 only, which has been good enough for voice quality and seems to be quite forgiving of the WiFi or cell data connection.

Since I don't want Linphone to auto-answer all incoming phone calls (just ones I initiate through GVoice Callback), I don't have my incoming DID checked in the Google Voice app as a forwarding destination, just the device itself (without a linked phone number). So regular incoming calls ring through the Google Voice app on WiFi or cell data, and outgoing calls placed through Google Assistant are in Linphone.

Feedback Score
    Wow, ejlmd! Impressive (at least it is to me)!

Good for you for figuring out a workaround to get what you wanted to work!

Feedback Score
    You have been inspiring over the years! And your many posts on the various forums and threads have been consistently helpful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ejlmd View Post
    You have been inspiring over the years! And your many posts on the various forums and threads have been consistently helpful.
    Thank you for the compliment! I appreciate it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thank you for the compliment! I appreciate it.
    LOL !!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    LOL !!
    Can somebody explain what I'm missing?