Thread: What is pivotmobile app that just showed up ?

Feedback Score

What is pivotmobile app that just showed up ?

This just started showing up when I wake up the phone.
    Device Activation
    Activation Complete
    Your phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx

I traced it down to an app called "com.pivotmobile.android.metrics".

I did some Googling & others have noticed it on their phone. Some say it can be uninstalled, a few say it might be needed for some apps to work, but no one actually says that it should be uninstalled.

The phone is an LG Rebel 4 and I rarely use it. Is this app some some type of tracking or spyware that should be uninstalled?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    so far from what i could find, it has to with some app that showed ads - https://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...d-metrics.html

Feedback Score
    What @october262 said is what I was thinking. I recall downloading an app (don't recall which) and while it was downloading also noted it also downloaded another similar to the one you asked about, or either it installed it while installing the app I downloaded (don't recall). I immediately uninstalled the apps. I don't need that extra crap.
    OP, did you recently download any new app?

Feedback Score
    I previously looked at the link @october262 mentioned, but it doesn't state the app should be removed. Other websites I looked at say about the same thing. Or that it's used for tracking but may be useful or needed for some app.

There's only a few apps on the phone & haven't downloaded one in a couple of months. The phone has been turned off for over a week & just displayed this message yesterday when I turned it on.

I just turned on the phone & the message was not there to greet me. I looked in settings > Apps & notifications > App info & it's still there.

I scroll down to the bottom & it says App details > App installed from Mobile Services.

I looked again under App info and Mobile Services is listed. I can't find any installed dates for these Apps in order to figure out when or where they came from.

Guess I have to find out more about the Mobile Services app.

Feedback Score
    Did some more Googling.

It appears that Mobil Services comes installed with the phone & is needed or might be needed for some apps.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/what-...-phone-need-it

http://telstramobileloop.com/what-is...vices-manager/

But that doesn’t mean the app “com.pivotmobile.android.metrics” is needed. I don’t know how common that app is. Does anyone here have it on there phone?

Thanks

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StymiedToo View Post
    I don’t know how common that app is. Does anyone here have it on there phone
    I found the app on my Moto G6, and I didn't put it there. Wouldn't surprise me if Lenovo downloaded it when my phone was upgraded to Android 9.0. At that time, they downloaded what I consider to be a lot of unwanted junk such as the Facebook app, which cannot be uninstalled.

I also checked my Samsung Galaxy S7, and it does not have this app. Just too much Samsung junk.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyD View Post
    I found the app on my Moto G6, and I didn't put it there. Wouldn't surprise me if Lenovo downloaded it when my phone was upgraded to Android 9.0. At that time, they downloaded what I consider to be a lot of unwanted junk such as the Facebook app, which cannot be uninstalled.
    Along that vein, I haven't installed any new apps on my LG Q6 and LG G6, but starting about 2 weeks ago whenever I turned on WiFi then Chrome was launched and it went to some quite suspicious sites. I don't know if it was imbedded in a Chrome update. After I disabled Chrome, then when I turned on WiFi a pop-up showed up asking which browser to use to open the link, or block the link. I selected to block the link, and the next time a different link popped up. I've downloaded a couple of anti-malware and scanned the phones, but they came up clean.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I'm on Android 8.1.0. It says I have 60 Apps. Most of them came with the phone such as Calculator, Calendar, & the Google ones.

I also have the Facebook app & it says it was installed from Google Play Store. But I never installed it. Google, Docs, Drive, & others also say they were installed from Google Play Store. Apparently the ones that came with the phone cannot be uninstalled, at least some of them. IOW the Facebook app must have come with the phone. Same for Mobile Services.

But the "com.pivotmobile.android.metrics" app can be uninstalled, so I'm presuming it didn't come with the phone. Does that mean one of the Apps that I installed brought it along? Or could one of the pre-installed Apps have installed somewhere along the way? IOW maybe Google Maps decided it was needed at some point & installed it. Is there anyway to check the installed dates of apps?

Feedback Score
    Is there anyway to check the installed dates of apps?
    Maybe not original app installation date, but you can see the last update. This may be the same date in a new app. Settings > Apps and notifications > See all > long press on app > App details > Whats new

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Maybe not original app installation date, but you can see the last update. This may be the same date in a new app. Settings > Apps and notifications > See all > long press on app > App details > Whats new
    I don't have the same filepath. I don't have See all or Whats new.

I have Settings > Apps and notifications > App info > All apps.
    I select & do a long press on the app & nothing happens. But I can tap on the app & this brings up the App detail, but its grayed out and says App installed from Mobile Services. Below that it shows version 1.0. But clicking or pressing on Mobile Services or version 1.0 does nothing.

Feedback Score
    This just started showing up when I wake up the phone.
    Device Activation
    Activation Complete
    Your phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx

I traced it down to an app called "com.pivotmobile.android.metrics".

I did some Googling & others have noticed it on their phone. Some say it can be uninstalled, a few say it might be needed for some apps to work, but no one actually says that it should be uninstalled.

The phone is an LG Rebel 4 and I rarely use it. Is this app some some type of tracking or spyware that should be uninstalled?

Thanks

What exactly got "Activated"???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post

What exactly got "Activated"???
    It said Device Activation which should mean the phone itself. However the phone has been activated for many months. If software install dates were available perhaps I could trace down what is/was happening.

The day after I got this message, when I turned the phone on there was no message. I looked at the offending app & it was set to have notifications Off. I question what turned it off. This also makes me wonder when the App got installed. IOW just because the notification popped up the other day doesn't mean the App just got installed. It could have been laying dormant for months.

Apparently the questionable app is not needed because not everyone has it on their phone, therefore I'm going to uninstall it.