Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Left phone home gone for 2 months

Feedback Score

Left phone home gone for 2 months

Ok so I am down in Fl for 2 + months and left my phone on the table at home. Best option? Buy phone on HSN with yr service and just activate down here with new number , then can I transfer the minutes on to my old phone that is back home when I get there in April Thanks for any help. Oh my old phone is ATT GSM and now most tracfones are CDMA Verizon or at least the ones I am seeing on HSN. Am I missing anything?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Ugh, I'm assuming there's no one at your house that can ship your phone to you?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by granmanh View Post
    Oh my old phone is ATT GSM and now most tracfones are CDMA Verizon or at least the ones I am seeing on HSN. Am I missing anything?
    You didn't notice that Verizon and all MVNO's stopped activating CDMA devices for many months now. They only allow VOLTE devices to be activated. You can only continue using a CDMA device if is already active on the network until Verizon finally kills CDMA near the end of 2020. Don't buy a CDMA-only device or it will be a fancy paperweight.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Ok so I am down in Fl for 2 + months and left my phone on the table at home. Best option? Buy phone on HSN with yr service and just activate down here with new number , then can I transfer the minutes on to my old phone that is back home when I get there in April Thanks for any help. Oh my old phone is ATT GSM and now most tracfones are CDMA Verizon or at least the ones I am seeing on HSN. Am I missing anything?
    In order to transfer your old phone service units, service time, and phone number you need to do it when you activate the new phone. TF does not support combining phones except at the time of activating a new phone. You should be able to do this without physically having the old phone. IIRC, you just need the phone number of the donor phone. The donor phone will be deactivated when you do this. It can be reactivated with a new SIM and paid service.

If you prefer your old phone, you can do a transfer back to it with a new SIM. Switching between AT&T and Verizon has not been a problem when I have done it.

You can do the transfer in the online account and hope nothing gets screwed up - it usually doesn't these days.

You can do it on chat for more confidence that it will be done correctly. Ask the chat agent to give you your existing account service units and time so you and they will have it should things go wrong.

You can do it on a voice call if you are a glutton for punishment with understanding them and them understanding you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    You didn't notice that Verizon and all MVNO's stopped activating CDMA devices for many months now. They only allow VOLTE devices to be activated. You can only continue using a CDMA device if is already active on the network until Verizon finally kills CDMA near the end of 2020. Don't buy a CDMA-only device or it will be a fancy paperweight.
    All phones currently being sold by TF and HSN are VoLTE compatible and won't be effected by the ban on activating new CDMA-only phones. It would be a consideration if one were considering older phones off fleaBay, etc.

Feedback Score
    Wouldn't it be possible to simply go to a local store and buy whatever Tracfone suits you (for temporary use until you get home), and transfer your existing line to the new phone? (Or any AT&T Prepaid phone and a Tracfone BYOP SIM kit.)
    If Tracfone is selling Verizon-networks phones in your Florida location, it will work fine while you're there.

When you get home, transfer your line back to your original phone-- but you'll need to ask Tracfone to send you a new SIM, since I don't think you an reactivate a GSM SIM. (I believe they will do so for no charge.)

Feedback Score
    Oh my old phone is ATT GSM and now most tracfones are CDMA Verizon or at least the ones I am seeing on HSN.
    Do you know if Verizon service is adequate in your home area?
    Yes, you don't need the old phone to activate a new one by transferring service.
    It would be helpful to know what the present phone is.

Feedback Score
    Ok so out yesterday, thanks for answers. First yes phone is home in NH no one can mail to me. Years ago only ATT GSM tracfone would work in woods and even that not the greatest reception. Then last over a year ago 10/18 I bought my husband a Rebel 2 CDMA and amazingly worked there? have no idea what happened maybe new tower. My present phone is a LG Sunset Rebel 3 GSM, it was the only GSM phone I could find when I ordered. So basicly both are adequate in my area not but neither is great. I am in Fl now, and no I had no idea about the Verizon thing but was going to purchase the LG Rebel 4 for 49.99 on HSN but is CDMA, and acctivate it down here and use for 2 months or more I am down here but will have a new number fine(right now I am messaging my kids on my ipad and their phones all APPL) and when I get back home charge and use my old phone again and transfer what left on this new phone yrs and text wise over to my old phone. Then if I want to use the New Rebel 4 phone which will be Verizon can I transfer it back to that new phone if I like or even buy a newer one Verizon CDMA phone? Can I transfer my ATT GSM phone number and buckets over to a new Verizon phone? Mostly concerned about keeping phone number... Ok so I am old and that is the phone number everyone has, I guess its not a big deal but when you are older everythings a big deal and you worry about screwing things up. People have always helped me on here. I tried to answer all the questions.

Feedback Score
    OH the LG Rebel 4 on HSN comes with a year of service etc too. So even if i just use and throw away or leave here in case I a dumb enough to do this again. Its like $25 a month for the 2 +months?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It would be a consideration if one were considering older phones off fleaBay, etc.
    And that is precisely the scenario I wanted the OP to be aware of.

I do know that the carriers are no longer selling/activating the older technology devices.

Feedback Score
    ...and when I get back home charge and use my old phone again and transfer what left on this new phone yrs and text wise over to my old phone.
    It is possible to merge/combine the service of 2 different phones. A service transfer is different, as it will substitute one service for another, and the service on the receiving phone will be wiped out. You have to be very careful telling the CSR exactly what you want. Which phone, and which phone number is the keeper.

Feedback Score
    Then if I want to use the New Rebel 4 phone which will be Verizon can I transfer it back to that new phone if I like or even buy a newer one Verizon CDMA phone? Can I transfer my ATT GSM phone number and buckets over to a new Verizon phone?
    You can transfer service from the LG Sunset to a new phone now. You should also be able to transfer service back to the LG Sunrise later. Or you can activate a new phone with a new number, and decide later which one you prefer. See my notes above about merge/combine.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    All phones currently being sold by TF and HSN are VoLTE compatible and won't be effected by the ban on activating new CDMA-only phones. It would be a consideration if one were considering older phones off fleaBay, etc.
    I commented on the OP's statement,
    now most tracfones are CDMA Verizon or at least the ones I am seeing on HSN.
    Cut me a little slack.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Granmanh, My wife talks to her kids all the time, ipad to ipad and ipad to iphone. If you're just talking to your kids (or anyone for that matter) you canuse your ipad.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    OH the LG Rebel 4 on HSN comes with a year of service etc too. So even if i just use and throw away or leave here in case I a dumb enough to do this again. Its like $25 a month for the 2 +months?
    That is an excellent way to go. Verizon is very good in NH, now. Once you return home, test out the service on the Rebel 4 for a while, you might find that it works better than your old phone does.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast