Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Left phone home gone for 2 months

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You can transfer service from the LG Sunset to a new phone now. You should also be able to transfer service back to the LG Sunrise later. Or you can activate a new phone with a new number, and decide later which one you prefer. See my notes above about merge/combine.
    So let me get this right. I can transfer from my Old NH GSM phone , the phone number and service on it to the new not yet activated Rebel 4 CDMA phone that comes with yrs service . I would prefer to not activate with a new number. But the phone is dead by now so how does that work? Is this the easiest solution? I think you are right about the Verizon service being better now because my husbands newest phone is Verizon and works there in the house. I just had so much trouble in the past trying to get Verizon to work but all of a sudden his phone started to work.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You cannot activate a CDMA only phone, no matter what make/model. Also, you cannot restore service to a prior CDMA only device once it is changed. As of today you will need a VOLTE compatible device. For now, the phone will only switch to CDMA if there is no VOLTE coverage.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    The Rebel 4 should be fine.

You know how we say "dialing" the phone? We know that is an old term. We do not "dial" a smartphone, but there is no permanent word to use instead.

Well, "CDMA" is an old term. It is technically not accurate, but there is no permanent word to use instead, so "CDMA" is just a fallback word. We all know what @granmanh means. It means "a phone that uses Verizon".

So stop quibbling. You know what the person means. Don't get all nerdy and show off and cause distress.

@granmanh is more knowledgeable than 99% of Tracfone customers.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I only mentioned it to prevent confusion for any other members reading this thread. What you, I or the OP knows is irrelevant to someone reading this thread who is new to the game.

Chill, Lisme.

Feedback Score
    You all seem to be kinder to people who are totally daft than those who are on the right track. Good thing that @granmanh is a tough cookie.

Feedback Score
    This is not a tutorial for the general public. That would belong in a sticky.

We are here to answer an OP's questions in a way that the OP can understand. If it is apparent that we are misleading/confusing the OP, we do not double down on the distress. We change tacks and start from Phone 101 if that's necessary. Not everybody wants the excruciating details or thinks like an engineer. It would suffice to be encouraging and meet people on their level. They just need to know what to buy.

You all know that Tracfone is selling acceptable phones. So don't taunt people otherwise.

Most people (who are old enough) know that things can change a lot. But a general explanation will usually work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by granmanh View Post
    So let me get this right. I can transfer from my Old NH GSM phone , the phone number and service on it to the new not yet activated Rebel 4 CDMA phone that comes with yrs service . I would prefer to not activate with a new number. But the phone is dead by now so how does that work? Is this the easiest solution? I think you are right about the Verizon service being better now because my husbands newest phone is Verizon and works there in the house. I just had so much trouble in the past trying to get Verizon to work but all of a sudden his phone started to work.
    Yes, see my post #4 above.

For the HSN phone you are considering, get the new phone. Ignore the instructions for activating the new phone that come with the phone. Do not power the phone on at this point.

Contact Tracfone and tell them you want to activate the new phone with a transfer from the old phone with the phone number. Do not mention the term combine the phones. It will confuse them. They will understand the term transfer.

The old phone does not need to be functional. All they need is its phone number. The phone has service units and service time that are known in their system.

You do not need to worry about CDMA. All new phones sold by HSN that use Verizon are compatible with Verizon now and into the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    You know how we say "dialing" the phone? We know that is an old term. We do not "dial" a smartphone, but there is no permanent word to use instead.

Well, "CDMA" is an old term. It is technically not accurate, but there is no permanent word to use instead, so "CDMA" is just a fallback word. We all know what @granmanh means. It means "a phone that uses Verizon".
    The dialing keypad on a smartphone is no different than a basic cell or wire line phone. It's usually called a "dialer".

Yes, some terms commonly used are not technically correct. CDMA is still valid, as most phones running on Verizon and Sprint are capable of using it if available. The term "3G or CDMA shutdown" has been confusing to some, as it does not include non-VoLTE phones that will also be affected. Lots have asked "why is my 4G LTE phone not going to work?".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    For the HSN phone you are considering, get the new phone. Ignore the instructions for activating the new phone that come with the phone. Do not power the phone on at this point.
    Do the HSN instructions not include an option to transfer existing service in activating one of their phones?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Do the HSN instructions not include an option to transfer existing service in activating one of their phones?
    Mine did, but it is spread between two Get Started cards.

One says, You'll need: Service Plan PIN, purchase one during activation if needed.

The other mentions that, "You do not need to provide a Service Plan PIN during activation. Your initial Service Plan comes bundled with your phone and will be automatically added during the activation process."

Without careful reading someone could mistakenly activate the phone without doing the transfer from the old phone. My understanding is that it can be difficult or impossible to get TF to do a combine phones after a phone is activated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Without careful reading someone could mistakenly activate the phone without doing the transfer from the old phone. My understanding is that it can be difficult or impossible to get TF to do a combine phones after a phone is activated.
    OK, it does not seem there is adequate instructions for transferring existing service with an HSN bundle activation. I assumed there was after so much advice given on this forum.

Lots of advice on this forum on how to merge/combine service from 2 phones. Yes, it would be better to avoid that.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Amen to that, loboheeler ! I had about 1/2 dozen chat/csr and two phone calls to corporate to do a combine.... hopefully never again.

Feedback Score
    Ok so get that I should be super careful about all of this but seems I can transfer minute and number to new phone even though it is dead battery and different carrier Att to Verizon. Someone from Tracfone PM me with a link/chat to do the transfer. Now another question. So HSN has the LG Rebel 4 for 49.99 and NOW last night got a message they also have LG Premier Pro5.3" too for $49.99 Which one should I choose. Thanks again for all the help. I did understand the CDMA thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by granmanh View Post
    So HSN has the LG Rebel 4 for 49.99 and NOW last night got a message they also have LG Premier Pro5.3" too for $49.99 Which one should I choose.
    The Premier Pro and Rebel 4 are very close in specifications. Premier Pro has a slightly larger screen. Rebel 4 has a later Android version.

Use Chat on the TF website to do the transfer. You will need the IMEI number of the new phone, and maybe the SIM number. There should be an activation info card in the box.

Feedback Score
    Both HSN and QVC sites list the OS of the Premier Pro as Android 8.1, while LG' s own website lists it at Android 7.1. I would be more inclined to believe the info straight from the manufacturer is more accurate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast