Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: TextNow Free Talk/Text on Sprint

Feedback Score
    >I'd describe my attitude more like curious how it works and not immediately jaded.

No shade, BTW. Yeah, I'm way jaded about "free." Having a(nother) free option is always good, even if it comes with strings.

As we (Asians) would say, I wish you and your family to be healthy, wealthy, and wise for the Year of the Rat. Happiness is already included.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >That's a nice improvement.

Sounds like a fan. I'm sure TN appreciates you posting their ad verbatim on here for them. You should ask for commission.
    I AM a fan

TextNow is the ONLY fully functional alternative to Google Voice VoIP with full cross carrier MMS and group messaging AND it has #s available for both Canada and the USA, which GV does not.

This new development to be a standalone UT&T VoIP service only makes it better.

Feedback Score
    I've been using the app for months now as a burner number for Craigslist etc. and I agree with Boz, it's been very useful. The ads have never interfered with usability. I have an old Virgin Mobile phone lying around from the RingPlus days, so I just tried to get the Sprint service. Downloaded the app over Wifi, set up a new account, then when tapped "Free Coverage" I got this message: "We're having trouble accessing our system, and can't currently tell if your device is eligible. Please try again in an hour." I checked the MEID earlier on their website and it did show up as eligible, so I hope this resolves itself. I'll report back once I know.

Feedback Score
    >The ads have never interfered with usability.

Far be it from me to argue with fans, but as a new service that has to cover that lost $120 in revenue, the ads, and whatever monetization planned, will be a lot more aggressive than just a piggyback "free" VoIP app.

That, and as a standalone service, it requires its own phone--one that can't have any data, because data is $20 or $40/mo extra. So usability takes another hit, as you now have yet another gadget to lug along. And before anyone asks, there's no dual-SIM with Sprint.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    That, and as a standalone service, it requires its own phone--one that can't have any data, because data is $20 or $40/mo extra. So usability takes another hit, as you now have yet another gadget to lug along. And before anyone asks, there's no dual-SIM with Sprint.
    This is actually what I'm curious about as the iPhone XR/XS/11/11 Pro can have a Sprint physical SIM and then an eSIM and that should work as a dual-SIM environment of sorts. I'd probably do that (AT&T on eSIM) if it's using the native dialer/texting, but if it's just through the app, maybe some random Sprint coverage where AT&T isn't would be the only place it would be an advantage. Any other time, VoIP through AT&T data would be adequate.

Feedback Score
    >the iPhone XR/XS/11/11 Pro can have a Sprint physical SIM and then an eSIM and that should work as a dual-SIM environment of sorts.

I am really hard-pressed to imagine why anyone who can afford a new iPhone AND a regular phone plan would have any need for a second plan that's ad-infested, with inferior voice quality and reliability, and inferior network coverage.

Feedback Score
    ...R+ existed on THE PROMISE of ads. Those "ring-tone" ads were never really functional, let alone making money. The guy (forgot his name now) apparently made a deal with Sprint, based on subscriber numbers. In the end, he couldn't make the sub numbers, and Sprint pulled the plug. Forget about his ad scheme.

But IMO he was good at the end, making sure people has a soft landing spot via freebies on Ting, Tello and whereever else. My Tello freebie is still going...
    R+ gave me & others less than 48 hours on a weekend to port out or lose our numbers. So he wasn't good at the end.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    >
    I am really hard-pressed to imagine why anyone who can afford a new iPhone AND a regular phone plan would have any need for a second plan that's ad-infested, with inferior voice quality and reliability, and inferior network coverage.
    Oh, this is just a fun hobby for some of us. Also, Sprint is really fine in my environs.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    While I don't have any use for this, would make an interesting test to see if it did work on my dual sim phone with Sprint. Trying to justify the 9.99 price for a Sim....

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    First, you don't need to buy a sim card unless you a phone without an existing sprint sim. I've have some old Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile android phones which allowed me to activate without buying anything, you don't even need to give them your credit card information. Just make sure that your phone is android 4.4 or higher because the app will not install on older phones.

Second, even if you don't have a sprint sim card but have an unlocked phone that works with sprint, you don't have to pay $10 to buy their sim cards. You just have to make sure to buy the correct sim card model for your phone here.

https://www.sprint.com/content/dam/s...hones-sims.pdf

You can get sim cards from Amazon for $3 each (assuming that you have prime.)

https://www.amazon.com/Sprint-Sim-Ki...0416208&sr=8-3

Last thing is that although you get no data, people report that some apps work. Google hangouts work for me when I tried to text. I will test other apps to see if it works for this phone.

Feedback Score
    Still getting the "We're having trouble accessing our system, and can't currently tell if your device is eligible. Please try again in an hour" message here today. Trying on GS3 previously used on FP.

Update: later, I got a clearer error message "Unfortunately, this phone is not compatible with our network." It's the same Android version as the other one I have working, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.
    Last edited by GlowHF; 01-30-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Feedback Score
    Update, I was able to activate my Sharp Aquos Crystal (which has been sitting idle since formerly used on FP)! Maybe the GS3 was too old a version of Android, or else the service didn't like the built-in SIM?
    Testing now. Yes, some other apps do seem to be getting data, maybe a glitch they'll iron out.
    Fun.

Feedback Score
    >Last thing is that although you get no data, people report that some apps work. Google hangouts work for me when I tried to text.

Since the data provisioning is independent from the app install, other uses should work. TN would need to set up filters to block all IP access except those going to their VoIP servers, and surprising that that isn't already done.

I'm assuming that each created acct would get a nominal amount of data for VoIP/text use, which in current state would get abused by everyone (people using it for other things is the first thing they'd try), and result in out-of-data conditions. TN can't really tell people not to use other apps. It has to be blocked. This wasn't necessary when TN was just a piggyback VoIP app.

It should be fixed in short order, as else TN won't have much of a service left.

It should also mean that if the blocking scheme is client-side, it could be bypassed with probably minimal effort. The question is why one would bother, since the allotted data amount is probably small anyway. If you exceed that, then the phone would just stop working.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    activated on my old defunct Freedompop LG G2 using the old sim that was already there.

Stuck on checking for prl update for about 10 minutes now though.

Feedback Score
    >Google hangouts work for me when I tried to text.

The more ambitious would set up a hotspot and run a torrent. Then you'll quickly find out exactly how much data you have to play with.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast