Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: TextNow Free Talk/Text on Sprint

Feedback Score

TextNow Free Talk/Text on Sprint

Anyone know much about this offering?
    https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/202...t-service.html

Wondering if they activate the old GS3 and Note 2 that don't have removable SIMs. Also, is it VOIP or native voice? And are there limits?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the topic. Bookmarking.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    https://blog.textnow.com/blog/2020/0...wide-talk-text

It's no big deal. TextNow (TN) has had free texting before. Now it just added free VoIP voice calls to the app, which doesn't use much data either. If you want data, then it's a $20 add-on/mo for 2GB, or $40 for unlimited data.

Aside from serving ads, apps like this track and sell your real-time location, along with any other personal info like your contacts. These are worth money to advertisers. Double win for TN.

If you want no-tracking "free", a FreedomPop SIM (sans FP app) is better. Use Hangouts for voice/text AND (a little) data.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    https://blog.textnow.com/blog/2020/0...wide-talk-text

It's no big deal. TextNow (TN) has had free texting before. Now it just added free VoIP voice calls to the app, which doesn't use much data either. If you want data, then it's a $20 add-on/mo for 2GB, or $40 for unlimited data.

Aside from serving ads, apps like this track and sell your real-time location, along with any other personal info like your contacts. These are worth money to advertisers. Double win for TN.

If you want no-tracking "free", a FreedomPop SIM (sans FP app) is better. Use Hangouts for voice/text AND (a little) data.
    That's wrong. TextNow has had free VoIP calling, very similar to GV, for a number of years.

The new offer is something more than what they've already had, especially when it requires a Sprint SIM card.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    There's nothing wrong with TextNow that I've found. Starting in 2018, I've used the TextNow app over data only, just like I use Google Voice + Hangouts, to have a Canadian phone # for various personal and business contacts. I have never had a failure for any incoming or outgoing call or message. It's a service that works as well as GV + Hangouts, with the difference being the ads in the app unless you pay a monthly fee to remove them.

The new offer appears to be true cellular talk and text.

But since I haven't tested the new TextNow service, I can't say with certainty it's using real cellular voice and text.

There's a possibility that somehow the new TextNow service is allowing Sprint data to work enough to power the current/existing TextNow VoIP service.

From https://blog.textnow.com/blog/2020/0...ide-talk-text/ :

By now, you’ve heard our big news: We’re now offering our talk & text service nationwide. For free. You read that right. No more paying for basic phone plans. No more asking baristas for the WiFi password. You can use your TextNow number anywhere over Sprint’s Nationwide Network without the dread of receiving your bill at the end of the month.

That’s the headline, now let’s get to the not-so-gritty details of how it all works.

What’s the Catch?

It almost sounds too good to be true. How can a company survive if it’s charging $0? I’m glad you asked! The truth is, there is no catch. If you’ve used our free app before, then you know that it’s able to remain free supported by the ads served within the app. So we’ve simply taken that same technology and refined it to keep passing on the savings to you - our customer.

Who Can I Text and Call?

Just like our current service, the answer is fairly simple: Anyone. Anywhere in the U.S or Canada. As often as you’d like. For $0 a month.

How Do I Connect to Sprint?

Unfortunately, there’s no magic trick. It will take some work. Luckily, we did most of it for you.

There are a couple of options, depending on your unique situation:

1. You already have a compatible phone and SIM card (Sprint, Boost, Virgin Mobile, maybe even one of ours!), but it has no service.
    This is the easiest way to get in. Simply download the TextNow app, open up the menu and tap on “Free Coverage”. From there, the app will take you through the rest of the activation!

2. You already have a CDMA-compatible phone (Sprint, Boost, Virgin Mobile, maybe even one of ours!) but no SIM card.
    Wireless connections do require a SIM card. If you don’t have one, we’ve made it as simple as possible to get one with our SIM activation kits. They are ready for shipping for only $9.99, directly from the TextNow website. A small one-time payment for a lifetime of free service.

3. You do not have a phone
    No worries! If you can’t snag a compatible hand-me-down phone from your family or friends, you can buy one of ours. If you’re on a tight budget, we also offer refurbished options that are friendlier on your wallet, without being spiteful to your service

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I'm wondering about some of the mechanics of this, too—it appears that in the past, it's been VoIP through an app (which is fine) and the ads in the app helped cover the costs. I wonder if the Sprint-based service gives you a number that would work with the native dialer/messaging apps on the phone or if it's somehow data, but blocking all traffic except data that would be going to/from the TextNow app.

Feedback Score
    >The new offer appears to be true cellular talk and text.

TextNow per its FAQ has always been a VoIP service. If it were to become "true" voice, it would've trumpeted that in its new blurb, which it didn't. Yes, I looked for that as well. So Occam's Razor says that it's still VoIP.

It looks like the same old service, cloaked in a new marketing campaign. If it quacks like a duck, then no use thinking it's a chicken. Unless of course one is easily excited about "free."

Someone can try the free service. If voice still only works through the app dialer, then nothing has changed, and it would be just a new blurb for the new (lunar) Year of the Rat. Perhaps the OP should try. He sounded pretty excited.

BTW, Happy New Year (again), for those that celebrate it. We did.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    TextNow per its FAQ has always been a VoIP service. If it were to become "true" voice, it would've trumpeted that in its new blurb, which it didn't. Yes, I looked for that as well. So Occam's Razor says that it's still VoIP.

It looks like the same old service, cloaked in a new marketing campaign. If it quacks like a duck, then no use thinking it's a chicken. Unless of course one is easily excited about "free."
    Yep, I'll be watching this space in case anyone tries it out—if it isn't just VoIP, it could be a nice replacement for the Truphone SIM I'm using as the second line on my phone. I'm just a bit too lazy to go through the steps of making an account and getting a Sprint SIM if it's still VoIP.

Feedback Score
    The telltale sign is the "free unlimited" voice, which normally indicates VoIP. I've yet to see a freebie that gives unlimited cell minutes. But sure, I'm always in for some excitement. Line up the guin...er, volunteers.

Edit: As to expected, it's already been on reddit.

http://reddit.com/r/NoContract/comme..._and_text_over

Selected answer: "They are offering free ad-supported voice and text through their own VOIP app over the Sprint network. They previously charged $9.99/mo. for the same service."

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    >The new offer appears to be true cellular talk and text.

Someone can try the free service. If voice still only works through the app dialer, then nothing has changed, and it would be just a new blurb for the new (lunar) Year of the Rat. Perhaps the OP should try. He sounded pretty excited.

But it's NOT the same old service.

Previously, a user had to have their own data source to use the TextNow app for talk and text.

It is a big step for TextNow to now INCLUDE the required data, even if the talk and text is still VoIP.

Even if VoIP isn't to your liking, this new development to include the data required to use the TextNow app is a big improvement to the TextNow free offering.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    The telltale sign is the "free unlimited" voice, which normally indicates VoIP. I've yet to see a freebie that gives unlimited cell minutes. But sure, I'm always in for some excitement. Line up the guin...er, volunteers.

Edit: As to expected, it's already been on reddit.

http://reddit.com/r/NoContract/comme..._and_text_over

Selected answer: "They are offering free ad-supported voice and text through their own VOIP app over the Sprint network. They previously charged $9.99/mo. for the same service."
    So, if this is accurate, TextNow has found a way to absorb the previously charged $119.88/year for a user to have a free standalone UT&T VoIP service (including required data).

That's a nice improvement.

Feedback Score
    >That's a nice improvement.

Sounds like a fan. I'm sure TN appreciates you posting their ad verbatim on here for them. You should ask for commission.

Feedback Score
    Reminds me of ringplus, if they're just trying to subsist on ads. But from what I recall ads don't generate much revenue for these companies.

There was a company doing something similar with ads, offering "free" service https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-16-hours-talk

checking their website it appears the free plan went away, and now is $10/mo

Feedback Score
    >Reminds me of ringplus, if they're just trying to subsist on ads.

R+ existed on THE PROMISE of ads. Those "ring-tone" ads were never really functional, let alone making money. The guy (forgot his name now) apparently made a deal with Sprint, based on subscriber numbers. In the end, he couldn't make the sub numbers, and Sprint pulled the plug. Forget about his ad scheme.

But IMO he was good at the end, making sure people has a soft landing spot via freebies on Ting, Tello and whereever else. My Tello freebie is still going.

Not coincidentally, it was shortly afterwards that Sprint brought out its own freebie, which was vastly better. Unlimited everything, including real voice, and no hoops to jump through. Mine just ended a few days ago, after almost 2 (3?) years. Totally happy with it. Sprint just wanted bodies, not revenue.

>But from what I recall ads don't generate much revenue for these companies.

As mentioned, it's no longer just about ads. Location data and personal data mining is big business nowaday, for those following along the privacy (violation) brouhaha. It's safe to assume these free offers will wring out every cent they can. That's the "nice improvement."

Feedback Score
    >Perhaps the OP should try. He sounded pretty excited.

She. I'd describe my attitude more like curious how it works and not immediately jaded.

Have some old Sprint phones I used on FP sitting idle so may test it out.

Happy New Year!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast