Thread: Looking for information on Freedom Coverage (Vancouver - Lower Mainland)

Feedback Score

Looking for information on Freedom Coverage (Vancouver - Lower Mainland)

My contract has come due with Rogers for my personal line and my Bell business contract is up for renewal in 2 weeks. I've sold my business so the number will transfer to the new owner but I am in need of personal mobile service. I spoke with Rogers who stated they can offer a BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) deal for $75 monthly and it provides the following:

- Canada Wide Calling
    - 20GB of Max Speed (Infinite) Data at which point, speeds will be throttled
    - Unlimited Canada Wide (text, picture & video) Messages
    - Call Display, Enhanced Voice Mail, Call Waiting, Conference Calling & 2,500 Canada Wide Call Forwarding Minutes

They said this is a double-data promotion offered to all new/existing customers but as a existing customer wishing to renew, they'll waive the $35.00 processing fee and provide me with a recurring 24 month discount of $5 making the plan $70 monthly.

This seems reasonable but I need to use my existing device or purchase one at full price. Should I wish to buy through Rogers, the representative said they are no longer offering subsidy phones and all carriers are moving in this direction. They said for those who cannot afford the upfront cost, they can get a device and the full price + applicable taxes are deducted in equal payments over a 24 month term.

It seems Freedom Mobile has everyone beat in this department! They're offering truly "FREE" phones, the pricing for their plans and offerings seem good but I know the competition and their sub-brands are far superior when comparing to that of Freedom Mobile.

It's been roughly 3 years since I've fully tested out the Freedom network and traveled while using so I know it's made some leaps & bounds with the exponential rollout Shaw has been doing. For those who use Freedom as their primary carrier, do you care to chime in and provide your experience(s) thus far? I'm curious to know how coverage is throughout the lower mainland from West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Vancouver out to the Abbotsford area.

I would also like to know if there are "dead zones", how quick the Freedom system switches over to whichever "partner" network it selects. Are there still issues with "dead zones" where the system thinks you're still in the "home" zone so you have a useless device unable to make calls?

How is the penetration in buildings now? I remember being in Superstore & Walmart and there was absolutely no signal. I would be interested in the feedback as if I switch back to Freedom, I have an offer matching my Rogers offer with a free Iphone 11 at $55 per month. A significant savings despite only being $15 monthly but the savings comes due to the fact I'm getting a free device. That said, it's only beneficial should service been suitable and usable otherwise, all I have is an electronic paperweight.

Interested to hear what others using the Freedom network currently have to say or those in general whom have used Freedom recently.

Feedback Score
    When did you talk to Rogers and did you talk to someone by phone or at a store? The 20GB for $75 deal expired yesterday at the end of the day. It was the same for all the big carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by friendlyArm View Post
    When did you talk to Rogers and did you talk to someone by phone or at a store? The 20GB for $75 deal expired yesterday at the end of the day. It was the same for all the big carriers.
    I spoke to them on yesterday morning (January 28, 2020). I'm up for renewal so it was a representative who stated they were with the "customer retention" team. I requested my account be documented and upon phoning this afternoon, was advised should I wish to make the change, I can do so but there's no phone with the plan.

Should a phone be required, I can pay full retail price in store or opt for something called Upfront Edge whereby Rogers will bill me for the devices full retail value in 24 equal payments over the term at 0% interest (no subsidy). The taxes on the full retail price are not included in the equal pay and are billed on my 1st invoice upon renewal.

Kind of crazy that when you opt to enter into a "term" with these major carriers, they used to subsidize a phone but now they do not. I inquired about this and the response was that they have to buy the phones from the manufacturer at full retail and by subsidizing through a monthly rate plan, they are losing money... Let us think for a moment...

As with any business, there must be a profit margin but the money made in Canada off airtime/data is astronomical! These phones are being bought in mass quantity by the mobile companies and they are paying a fraction of what we, the consumer pay. In turn, they are finding methods of gouging us Canadians again. They charge absorbent rates for airtime/data, charge increased "activation" fees ranging from $20 - $40, charge full retail for devices whereby they state it's 0% to the consumer for interest but are charging hundreds of dollars of markup. At days end, these companies work together and are in collusion with one another with a CCTS body that will assist consumers with complaints but not with lobbying for "true" change.

These companies whine saying they're losing money but was in not our Government who gave spectrum licensing in the beginning for next to nothing which we, the taxpayers indirectly funded? How can they be losing money? We still only have 3 major players (Telus, Bell & Rogers). These companies have their sub-brands:

Telus = Koodo & Public Mobile
    Bell = Solo (defunct), Virgin Mobile & Lucky Mobile
    Rogers = Fido & Chat-R

Shaw = Freedom Mobile

Although I like the new entrant, the price structure is increasing faster than network expansion. It's only a matter of time before they are par with the major incumbents. It's frustrating but we must pick the lesser of all evils, what fits our budget and hope for good retention offers or some type of future deals.

What we really need is for the Government to cut the red tape put in place by the incumbents and let a carrier like Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile enter the Canadian arena! Remember when Veriozon considered? Look at how quick Telus, Bell & Rogers banded together and the money they jointly invested to raise awareness to Canadians on how bad this would be for our cellular industry.

Laughable at best but like anything (gas/oil/general economics), it will not change until the general population votes with their wallet and demands change! In the interim, we must go along in stride and hope for some form of "true" change and competition.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3100
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hfta View Post

I would also like to know if there are "dead zones", how quick the Freedom system switches over to whichever "partner" network it selects. Are there still issues with "dead zones" where the system thinks you're still in the "home" zone so you have a useless device unable to make calls?

How is the penetration in buildings now? I remember being in Superstore & Walmart and there was absolutely no signal. I would be interested in the feedback as if I switch back to Freedom, I have an offer matching my Rogers offer with a free Iphone 11 at $55 per month. A significant savings despite only being $15 monthly but the savings comes due to the fact I'm getting a free device. That said, it's only beneficial should service been suitable and usable otherwise, all I have is an electronic paperweight.

Interested to hear what others using the Freedom network currently have to say or those in general whom have used Freedom recently.
    You can see that Freedom has the least towers of all of them.

https://www.scadacore.com/tools/rf-p...er-map-canada/

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 64GB / Nexus 4 / BB Q5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score

Looking for information on Freedom Coverage (Vancouver - Lower Mainland)

I switched my father from Fido to Freedom. Simply for the free iPhone 11.

He isn’t a data hog so it was a good match

He has no problems with calls text or data.

That being said their wireless speed is abysmal. He doesn’t break speeds I used to get on 3G 8 years ago.

I’ve done speed tests on his phone for months I’ve never seen it above 10000kpbs.

It’s useable and a good price for a free phone worth the F&F discount.

However their service wouldn’t t satisfy me in its current state.

Edit: I’m in North Vancouver and relating my experiences to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by QS2k5; 02-05-2020 at 03:36 PM.