Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64

Thread: RootMetrics: Verizon's 4G Is Faster Than T-Mobile's 5G

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,069
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It is still very early days for 5G service.

    AFAIK, T-Mo has only widely deployed 5G on part of their band 71 spectrum with the rest still running LTE. Speed is proportional to bandwidth. T-Mo has band 71 nationwide, but only 15x15 MHz in some places. .
    In some places it's only 10X10. The point is t-mobile should have left all the lowband for 4G. In places where they only have 10X10 that would be equal to Verizon band 13. In pales where they have 15X15 they'd have a 50% spectrum advantage and in places where they have 20x20 they have a 100% advantage over Verizon. Their decision to kneecap their band 71 on 4G is why I abandoned any ideal of switching

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,585
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    In some places it's only 10X10. The point is t-mobile should have left all the lowband for 4G. In places where they only have 10X10 that would be equal to Verizon band 13. In pales where they have 15X15 they'd have a 50% spectrum advantage and in places where they have 20x20 they have a 100% advantage over Verizon. Their decision to kneecap their band 71 on 4G is why I abandoned any ideal of switching
    Thanks for the 10 x 10 minimum correction. Where would I find what x by x is in my area?

    Putting 5G on their n71 is a powerful marketing message. I won't fault them for that. It would make more sense to me to put 5G on the smaller slice given the rather few that have a n71 5G phone or device, but whatever.

    Someone mentioned in one of the HoFo topics that T-Mo is planning to put on DSS soon. That would improve the LTE/5G distribution based on demand, which would be mostly LTE at this point. Win-win. T-Mo can claim "nationwide*" 5G, while the actual users can have most of band 71 as LTE while we remain in the LTE era.

    I think we would agree that T-Mo isn't going far with 5G on their existing spectrum, especially if they gut the LTE bandwidth available to do it.

    T-Mo was finally able to turn on band 71 around here recently. I got one of those T-Mo Test Drive hotspots. Band 71 makes a beeeeeeg difference. I now have usable T-Mo even in the most interior room of the house. Previously there was none even at at window. I pay the same on a MVNO for Verizon or T-Mo so there is no reason for me to switch at this point. I suspect T-Mo probably still stinks between towns.

    *T-Mo's claim of nationwide 5G is based on an advertising standard that they cover 200 million peeps. That is a low standard, but it does cover a very large part of populated country compared to what the other three have been able to do so far. It's all marketing. The 5G is not fast even compared to LTE. Actual users would be better served by LTE for now, but, in their ignorance, they want the shiny new-thing. Marketing is part of what builds companies and they will do it.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    In some places it's only 10X10. The point is t-mobile should have left all the lowband for 4G. In places where they only have 10X10 that would be equal to Verizon band 13. In pales where they have 15X15 they'd have a 50% spectrum advantage and in places where they have 20x20 they have a 100% advantage over Verizon. Their decision to kneecap their band 71 on 4G is why I abandoned any ideal of switching
    Verizon has 12.5x12.5 of B5 in most markets as well, giving them a total of 20x20 for LTE lowband if they want it. CDMA can run in 2.5x2.5, although it may be using more in some markets.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,069
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Verizon has 12.5x12.5 of B5 in most markets as well, giving them a total of 20x20 for LTE lowband if they want it. CDMA can run in 2.5x2.5, although it may be using more in some markets.
    Verizon is not using the 2.5X 2.5 for anything. Also in some parts it's 10X10 MHz and 2.5X2.5 MHz in some areas it's 11X11 MHz and 1.5X1.5 MHz.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Verizon is not using the 2.5X 2.5 for anything. Also in some parts it's 10X10 MHz and 2.5X2.5 MHz in some areas it's 11X11 MHz and 1.5X1.5 MHz.
    They're probably running CDMA on that. Point is, Verizon has 20x20 low band that they can use for LTE in most markets, AT&T has 35x30.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,984
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They're probably running CDMA on that. Point is, Verizon has 20x20 low band that they can use for LTE in most markets, AT&T has 35x30.
    At&t has been leasing the other 5 mhz of band 29 in some markets to utilize the full 10 mhz.

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,069
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They're probably running CDMA on that. Point is, Verizon has 20x20 low band that they can use for LTE in most markets, AT&T has 35x30.
    There are some big markets both lack 850 MHz Verizon more than at&t. Some because the other has both 850 blocks some because US Cellular has one of them. For example the whole east cost of Florida Verizon lacks 850 so I'm not sure how Verizon plans on running lowband 5G there. Also Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Milwaukee

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,086
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    The point is T-Mobile SHOULD have just used the entire 20 MHz for 4G and they'd be blowing Verizon out of the water
    Should'a, would'a. T-Mobile wants their 5G phones to show "5G" everywhere they have LTE.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    T-Mobile 5G is not really 5G in terms of speed. If you want real 5G right now, you have to go with Verizon.
    Yeah but..... Which T-Mobile 5G are you talking about? The mmWave 5G deployed in some big cities or the 600 MHz 5G deployed alongside their band 71 LTE? AFAIK, they are effectively separate services because (AFAIK) there are no phones that do both. You either get mmWave 5G or band 71 5G. Now, I assume that in the near future, they'll have a phone that can do it all. Then you'll get really fast 5G in some places and still have a "5G" signal indicator everywhere else. One could say that Verizon probably needs to devote some of their low & mid-bands to 5G to counter this.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    .... but Verizon had installed mmWave 5G in the stadium and ......
    T-Mobile also had mmWave 5G in the stadium for the benefit of the < 1% of their customers who have a compatible phone. Oh and also to show photos of phones with blindingly fast 5G at the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    ...Putting 5G on their n71 is a powerful marketing message......
    Precisely. And that's really about all it is until and if T-Mobile gets Sprint's 2.5 GHz licenses.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 02-04-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    Donald Newcomb

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    At&t has been leasing the other 5 mhz of band 29 in some markets to utilize the full 10 mhz.
    Who owns it now? I seem to think DISH, but I'm not sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    There are some big markets both lack 850 MHz Verizon more than at&t. Some because the other has both 850 blocks some because US Cellular has one of them. For example the whole east cost of Florida Verizon lacks 850 so I'm not sure how Verizon plans on running lowband 5G there. Also Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Milwaukee
    Hence the word "most" not "all". 5G will eventually work on 700mhz spectrum.

    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Then you'll get really fast 5G in some places and still have a "5G" signal indicator everywhere else. One could say that Verizon probably needs to devote some of their low & mid-bands to 5G to counter this.
    AT&T fixed it. They just made a new icon for Fake 5G. Really though, most people don't care about 5G. They just want their phone to work. They'll get 5G when they break their current iPhone and there's a new one with 5G, or they want a new iPhone with a better battery and/or camera.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,069
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Hence the word "most" not "all". 5G will eventually work on 700mhz spectrum.
    There's not even a 5G designation for band 13, like there is for bands 2, 4/66, 5. Even at&t's band 14 has one

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    There's not even a 5G designation for band 13, like there is for bands 2, 4/66, 5. Even at&t's band 14 has one
    It will get one eventually. No rush, since they can't afford to re-farm any of it for a long while.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,069
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    It will get one eventually. No rush, since they can't afford to re-farm any of it for a long while.
    You do realize with DSS you don't have to re-farm anything. That's the whole point of it. You can use the spectrum for 4G and 5G without re-farming. So yeah a n13 band would be helpful.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You do realize with DSS you don't have to re-farm anything. That's the whole point of it. You can use the spectrum for 4G and 5G without re-farming. So yeah a n13 band would be helpful.
    Possible, but DSS loses some capacity for a given amount of spectrum, so unlikely anytime soon.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,367
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    For example the whole east cost of Florida Verizon lacks 850 so I'm not sure how Verizon plans on running lowband 5G there.
    I suppose they won't; VZW has no 850 through a good chunk of Wisconsin around Madison. They built out 1900 dense enough to get reasonably good coverage. I assume they'd run DSS on mid band band 2 and 4 (1900 PCS and 2100/1700 AWS) until such a time as they run DSS on band 13.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,069
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Possible, but DSS loses some capacity for a given amount of spectrum, so unlikely anytime soon.
    I see you're buying into T-Mobile's FUD. Of course they are going to say that. You're insufferable

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTF Sidekick Edge is faster than MDA???
    By adamb2k6 in forum Windows Mobile Devices
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 12:49 AM
  2. FACT: Sandisk pro duo is FASTER than Sony
    By xxlikquidxx in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 01:45 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 02:40 AM
  4. E-Bay shipper is faster than Paypal LOL
    By phredog in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 03:50 PM
  5. My i95cl is FASTER than yours !!!
    By Gio in forum Nextel Lounge
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 05:20 AM

Bookmarks