Thread: RootMetrics: Verizon's 4G Is Faster Than T-Mobile's 5G

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

RootMetrics: Verizon's 4G Is Faster Than T-Mobile's 5G

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/757111

15-20% faster speeds on T-Mobile 5G can’t keep up with Verizon 4G. Thought this was interesting seeing as how many people complain about Verizon slowing down.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    I been with Verizon since last year and not "once" have I experienced them slowed speeds everyone says they get . Neither have I been throttled . I live in los Angeles ca . My slowest speed even in a bad day it's at least 35 mbps which works FINE for everything. Sure speed is different all over LA . And yes I travel up and down LA every day for work . And speed is deff faster and more stable than the speed my coworkers on tmobile are getting. Tmobile one street sure u can be getting 100mbps . But literally walk down the next street and they getting 5 mbps or less. With Verizon you dont see that with Verizon if your getting 50 mbps u walk down the other streets and u maintain that speed . At&t on the other hand is pretty much like Verizon. My boss has At&t and it's also pretty good he has faster speeds and more stable than tmobile , just like Verizon. My coworkers with tmobile have also noticed . And they undecided weather to go to Verizon or At&t . Because they just about had it with tmobiles slow network .

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post

15-20% faster speeds on T-Mobile 5G can’t keep up with Verizon 4G. Thought this was interesting seeing as how many people complain about Verizon slowing down.
    It is still very early days for 5G service.

AFAIK, T-Mo has only widely deployed 5G on part of their band 71 spectrum with the rest still running LTE. Speed is proportional to bandwidth. T-Mo has band 71 nationwide, but only 15x15 MHz in some places. Putting 10 MHz on 5G and 5 MHz on LTE isn't going to be real fast for either.

So the headline may be true, but is meaningless for what 5G will be in a few years. It's marketing fluff carp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It is still very early days for 5G service.

AFAIK, T-Mo has only widely deployed 5G on part of their band 71 spectrum with the rest still running LTE. Speed is proportional to bandwidth. T-Mo has band 71 nationwide, but only 15x15 MHz in some places. Putting 10 MHz on 5G and 5 MHz on LTE isn't going to be real fast for either.

So the headline may be true, but is meaningless for what 5G will be in a few years. It's marketing fluff carp.
    The point is T-Mobile SHOULD have just used the entire 20 MHz for 4G and they'd be blowing Verizon out of the water

Feedback Score
    Once DSS goes mainstream they’ll be able to use the entire 20MHz of 600MHz for 4G & 5G as needed.

So, as others have said. Not really a useful comparison (VZW 4G vs Tmo 5G?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Well, at present they carriers are running what I would dub pissing contest 5G. The mmwave 5G is legit, where they have it; the current lowband 5G is like 5mhz (T-Mo's is 5mhz in 600 or 700mhz, AT&T's reportedly running 5mhz at 850), it's not going to be faster than virtually anyone's 4G, it's just there so they can show loads of 5G coverage right away on a map. When DSS comes out in a few months, then (equipment willing, i.e. new enough) potentially all the 4G spectrum can immediately carry 5G.

DSS (Dynamic Spectrum Sharing) is pretty slick; 4G LTE uses "resource blocks", 180khz of radio for 0.5ms of time, and 5G has 180khzx0.5ms as one of it's options too. Current 5G devices are non-standalone, they require a 4G control channel to operate anyway. The 4G phones do not concern themselves with what's going on on the channel outside their resource blocks (and neither do 5G ones). So the 5G phone sits on it's 4G control channel, and the site is free to run each resource block (or at least each timeslot..) 4G or 5G. No fuss no muss, no having to manually shuffle spectrum from 4G to 5G, no worries (in 10 years or whatever) of when to retire 4G. Keeping up a (by then) nearly-empty 5mhz of LTE could be awkward, having sites run an 0.5ms timeslot in 4G instead of 5G once in a while really isn't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Once DSS goes mainstream they’ll be able to use the entire 20MHz of 600MHz for 4G & 5G as needed.

So, as others have said. Not really a useful comparison (VZW 4G vs Tmo 5G?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Well it's not mainstream and while Verizon has said they are 100% launching DSS later this year I haven't really heard when or if T-Mobile is doing it. And wouldn't it have mad more sense to launch lowband 5G AFTER DSS was available not before? People can bash Verizon for not having lowband 5G yet, but they are taking the correct approach. And 12-18 month form now when all the carriers have low and mid band 5 T-Mobile boasts about "most 5G" coverage will be moot. And Verizon for sure will have CBRS up an running in 12 months and CBAND up in 18 months. Though I'm not sure many devices will be able to use CBAND even in 18 months. Is there even a LTE/5G band for that yet?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

RootMetrics: Verizon's 4G Is Faster Than T-Mobile's 5G

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Well it's not mainstream and while Verizon has said they are 100% launching DSS later this year I haven't really heard when or if T-Mobile is doing it. And wouldn't it have mad more sense to launch lowband 5G AFTER DSS was available not before? People can bash Verizon for not having lowband 5G yet, but they are taking the correct approach. And 12-18 month form now when all the carriers have low and mid band 5 T-Mobile boasts about "most 5G" coverage will be moot. And Verizon for sure will have CBRS up an running in 12 months and CBAND up in 18 months. Though I'm not sure many devices will be able to use CBAND even in 18 months. Is there even a LTE/5G band for that yet?
    https://www.mobileworldlive.com/feat...ending-on-dss/

“T-Mobile will be less dependent on DSS than its competitors since its low-band 5G rollout is being done using unencumbered 600MHz spectrum”

It almost seems as if DSS isn’t that important to T-Mobile. Though, it could just be marketing fluff or something that may change with time.

Sent from my iPhone 11

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    https://www.mobileworldlive.com/feat...ending-on-dss/

“T-Mobile will be less dependent on DSS than its competitors since its low-band 5G rollout is being done using unencumbered 600MHz spectrum”

It almost seems as if DSS isn’t that important to T-Mobile. Though, it could just be marketing fluff or something that may change with time.

Sent from my iPhone 11
    So lowband 4G is basically going to suck. You either get 5X5 MHz on band 12 or 5X5 MHz on band 71. And to think I was considering switching. Not anymore. They must be confident they are going to win their trial to not consider DSS for their mid band spectrum if they should lose.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    This is a hilarious headline, but it's sort of meaningless as of yet. Verizon's average speeds are high due to small cells, then you get on a macro and it's slow as molasses in a lot of cases, as they are overloaded. AT&T is more balanced, but it all depends on the market.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    T-Mobile 5G is not really 5G in terms of speed. If you want real 5G right now, you have to go with Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    T-Mobile 5G is not really 5G in terms of speed. If you want real 5G right now, you have to go with Verizon.
    Does NR have speed threshold requirements?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It was interesting watching the Super Bowl yesterday. T-Mobile had some commercials touting their 5G Nationwide network, but Verizon had installed mmWave 5G in the stadium and they were talking about why high-capacity, high-speed, low-latency, 5G was necessary. https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-to...per-bowl-2020/ . I suspect that maybe five spectators actually had 5G capable Verizon phones.

I don't think many people watching understood that T-Mobile's "5G" offers little benefit over their 4G LTE.

One relative I was watching with insisted that some of the instant replays that were being shown were only possible because of Verizon 5G. I gave up trying to explain to her that this was not the case.

T-Mobile's commercial of a mother whose son switched her to T-Mobile and she kept calling him to tell him that she had coverage in various places was cute, and obviously designed to quell people's fear of T-Mobile's coverage issues.

American football is very complicated. You guys need to get more into hockey and curling.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    It was interesting watching the Super Bowl yesterday. T-Mobile had some commercials touting their 5G Nationwide network, but Verizon had installed mmWave 5G in the stadium and they were talking about why high-capacity, high-speed, low-latency, 5G was necessary. https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-to...per-bowl-2020/ . I suspect that maybe five spectators actually had 5G capable Verizon phones.

I don't think many people watching understood that T-Mobile's "5G" offers little benefit over their 4G LTE.
    I doubt that most people even care. There still isn't any advantage in terms of applications for 5G over 4G or even a good 3G network that's not congested. The advantage of 5G is in capacity for the carriers to offer more data to more people at a higher density than 4G can reliably do.

One relative I was watching with insisted that some of the instant replays that were being shown were only possible because of Verizon 5G. I gave up trying to explain to her that this was not the case.
    Oh dear. Back in reality land, there's actually a great article about why they don't have enough bandwidth to do a 4k pipeline. Basically it boils down to using a single HD-SDI port for 1080p with HLG vs. using 4 HD-SDI ports for 4k.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...hdr-broadcast/

T-Mobile's commercial of a mother whose son switched her to T-Mobile and she kept calling him to tell him that she had coverage in various places was cute, and obviously designed to quell people's fear of T-Mobile's coverage issues.
    I'd agree on the message, but reality doesn't bear that out. I was hiking in the morning, and AT&T held on with a bar or two, while T-Mobile had nothing the entire time. I've seen that numerous times.

American football is very complicated. You guys need to get more into hockey and curling.
    Curling is amazing. American football makes no sense. The clock makes no sense, the whole thing makes no sense. Curling and basketball are the two most fun to watch on TV. Baseball is the best on the radio.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Well it's not mainstream and while Verizon has said they are 100% launching DSS later this year I haven't really heard when or if T-Mobile is doing it.
    In T-Mo forum they say they plan on DSS basically ASAP, a matter of months.
    And wouldn't it have mad more sense to launch lowband 5G AFTER DSS was available not before?
    Yes, but for "pissing contest" purposes they also want to show wide 5G coverage as quickly as possible. It's like 5mhz, it's not actually useful, but for marketing purposes it can be shown on a map.
    People can bash Verizon for not having lowband 5G yet, but they are taking the correct approach.
    I agree 100%.
    And 12-18 month form now when all the carriers have low and mid band 5 T-Mobile boasts about "most 5G" coverage will be moot.
    Also agreed, it's 100% for short-term marketing purposes. At least it's not equipment they put in then have to rip out later, I'm sure if newer 4G hardware can be flipped to DSS, so can current 5G equipment.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast