Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: RootMetrics: Verizon's 4G Is Faster Than T-Mobile's 5G

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Your phone is not just using band 4. There is thing called carrier aggregation and I'm pretty sure your phone is using band 4 AND 13 and perhaps band 2 as well.
    OK, so here's a real scenario I see all the time in areas with weaker band 4/2 coverage.

I can toggle airplane mode and see full bars of band 13 according to the iPhone field test mode. Then shortly thereafter (30+ seconds later) the phone will drop to 1-2 bars and field test mode will indicate that the phone is on band 4.

I understand carrier aggregation at a very basic level, but why not display full bars as the signal strength vs. 1-2 bars if the phone is still locked onto band 13 (which displayed full bars before it dropped down to band 4)? And why will calls sometimes drop when I only have 1-2 bars of band 4 vs. switching over to the much stronger band 13 signal?

This has been the case with EVERY iPhone I've ever owned since LTE became available (iPhone user since 2008; switched from AT&T to Verizon once iPhone became available on Verizon ~2011).

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I understand carrier aggregation at a very basic level, but why not display full bars as the signal strength vs. 1-2 bars if the phone is still locked onto band 13 (which displayed full bars before it dropped down to band 4)? And why will calls sometimes drop when I only have 1-2 bars of band 4 vs. switching over to the much stronger band 13 signal?
    Bands can only handle so many phones locked on to them. AT&T aggressively moves phones up to B2/4/30 as well.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    OK, so here's a real scenario I see all the time in areas with weaker band 4/2 coverage.

I can toggle airplane mode and see full bars of band 13 according to the iPhone field test mode. Then shortly thereafter (30+ seconds later) the phone will drop to 1-2 bars and field test mode will indicate that the phone is on band 4.

This has been the case with EVERY iPhone I've ever owned since LTE became available (iPhone user since 2008; switched from AT&T to Verizon once iPhone became available on Verizon ~2011).
    Network management. Band 13 would be unusable if there were many ue's connected close to the tower, all those farther away would have horrible RSRQ & SINR (dirty signal). Keep all the ue's close to the tower on mid band, and aggregate with low band when needed for data speed. Farther away it flips around - stay on low band and aggregate w mid band, to help keep the signal clean.

You shouldn't be dropping calls. Once you get to around -110 dbm RSRP, it should flip to low band or connect to the next closest site (ie. If traveling). I would call to open a ticket. That's not normal behavior.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score

I understand carrier aggregation at a very basic level, but why not display full bars as the signal strength vs. 1-2 bars if the phone is still locked onto band 13 (which displayed full bars before it dropped down to band 4)?
    I don't know. My BlackBerry Keyone (Android 7) phone does the same thing; in a location with "1 bar" (~ -120dbm or so) band 4, I move one way, the band 4 signal increases and speeds rapidly increase; move the other way, band 4 drops off and it's band 13 only (bars shoot up to 4 out of 5 bars or so), but the speed is exactly the same as with the very low band 4 signal. This strongly suggests the phone is really on 4+13, with almost all the traffic actually running on 13 (but running more over 4 as the band 4 signal strength goes up.) I agree it'd make more sense to show the strongest signal in the carrier aggregation not just whatever the system picks as the "main" signal.

And why will calls sometimes drop when I only have 1-2 bars of band 4 vs. switching over to the much stronger band 13 signal?
    My device doesn't do that; I'll be nice and not rag on Apple here . Joeybutts is right though, a lot of this handoff stuff is tunable network-side, things where you are might just need a tuneup

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5