Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hangout not showing contacts list

Feedback Score
    There are a number of complaints about this in the Google Hangouts forum.

I just added my comments to 4 of the existing threads there.

A moderator had commented in some of the existing threads that Google was aware and working on a fix. I have no idea how something can be working, and then all of a sudden NOT WORKING, and have it take SO LONG for Google to fix the issue that apparently they broke!

Feedback Score
    I meant to mention this yesterday, but I forgot.

As of sometime yesterday, this issue seems to be fixed. I can now see names in my Hangouts Recent Calls list, and searching contacts in the Calls/Phone tab is now working.

Feedback Score
    Just checked, everything is back to normal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
    Just checked, everything is back to normal.
    Whew! I don't know how it could have taken so long to fix, or how it got broken in the first place, but at least it seems to be fixed for the moment!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Consider yourself lucky google even fixed it. I was expecting this to be another nail in the hangouts coffin.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I guess. I'm just glad they did, even if it took longer than I thought it should!

I just don't get why Google can't fix the issues with the GV app, if that's meant to be the eventual consumer replacement to Hangouts.

Feedback Score
    What are the issues with the GV app? I have only used the Hangout app.

Feedback Score
    What are the issues with the GV app? I have only used the Hangout app.
    Below are the things about the GV app that keep me using Hangouts, which still works perfectly for me.

I've used the "Send Feedback" option in Google Voice to report these issues MANY times over the past year and a half, but it seems as if nobody is reading them, because none of these issues have been fixed.

I don't understand how these things are not working correctly in the Google Voice app, when they work perfectly well in the Hangouts app!

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too. As another data point, when searching contacts, the TextNow app ALSO lists numbers with a custom name with the custom name next to the number.

2) On any of the three Android phones and 1 tablet I've tested the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the Simplenote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, Viber, and TextNow. The option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a very serious issue for me.

3) When any of my Android devices are set to silent, when a call comes into the GV # that I have set up in the GV app, the screen remains dark, and there's no indication of a call coming in. If a call comes into either of my GV #s that are set up in Hangouts on a device set to silent, the screen immediately lights up, and Hangouts can be answered. As an extra data point, even TextNow works correctly, the same as Hangouts, when a call comes in to a device that is set to silent.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. On my GV app names and numbers show when searching. Maybe the GV app would work differently if Hangout was not installed on the same device.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. On my GV app names and numbers show when searching. Maybe the GV app would work differently if Hangout was not installed on the same device.
    If you're referring to #1, I don't think you understand.

If you have 1 contact with, for example, 4 different #s, and you've give each of those #s a custom name, when searching for a # in the GV app, all the custom names for those #s show as "Other", instead of displaying the actual custom names for each # in the search results.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for making that clear. Guess we'll keep using Hangout till it's gone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for making that clear. Guess we'll keep using Hangout till it's gone.
    Yeah, that's my plan.

I still hope Google will eventually get the GV app to a point where it can be a full (Classic) Hangouts replacement, including fixing the things from my list above!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2