Thread: Tracfone Rebranding Explained?

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

Tracfone Rebranding Explained?

Can someone walk me through this? What is involved and is it automatic or are there some exceptions/caveats.

It seems being able to choose phones from across the American Movil providers and have them enabled on Trac is a huge advantage if the phone is from an AM provider who uses phones on the carrier you want to use on Trac.

Upon search though I may have missed it I hadn't seen a definitive guide to rebranding.

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    In the past, a phone branded by one sub-brand of American Movil (like Straightalk) cannot be activated/used with another sub-brand (like Tracfone). I believe that was because the phones of some sub-brands (mostly the ones that use monthly plans) are more "subsidized" than on another brand. I remember wishing that I could buy a phone from Net10 and use it on Tracfone because the same phone model was cheaper on Net10. But at activation, the phone can only be activated on the sub-brand that sold it. I think their system used the IMEI or SIM number to tell one sub-brand from another.

Currently, it appears that a phone marketed by one American Mobil can be activated on another sub-brand. The rep just needs to be told that you want to use a phone from sub-brand A on sub-brand B service (as long as the phone is compatible with sub-brand B carriers). The rep will "rebrand" (making a change in their system) to indicate that the phone is now branded as a sub-brand B.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks very much.

I'm going to get that SE you posted about from BB to try. I wonder if I'll be able to live with the system restrictions 'Apples Way' and want to see if I can live with that before breaking the bank.

Feedback Score
    I have a Net 10 Samsung Galaxy Sky phone that I bought in 2017. I never activated it on Net 10 service. (I did use a Tracfone SIM, activated on another Tracfone that I had, in the Sky phone for quite a while. I like the Sky phone, it's a decent phone and I got for $10 on a mistake sale price at Kroger.)

A few months ago I decided I wanted to activate the Sky phone on Tracfone service, transferring an active Tracfone number and service to it.
    I had the original Net 10 SIM card that came with the phone.
    I went on Tracfone chat to activate it. I told the rep on chat that this was a Net 10 phone but I wanted Tracfone minutes and service.
    They were able to get my Tracfone number and service transferred and get it activated with no problems, using the original SIM that came with the phone.