Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problem with T-Mobile iPhone XR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    SD called to get the unlock code and discovered that she still owes $544 on this phone.
    That is about the price of a new XR. Wonder why they would let her upgrade with that much owed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    That is about the price of a new XR. Wonder why they would let her upgrade with that much owed?
    Yes, stepdaughter (the relative mentioned in my OP)

I think she's been rolling from one phone to the next for years - kind of like people do with cars, where it's like "What's my payment" and the old loan gets rolled into the new loan. Sigh. She's an adult; I can't handle my own teenagers, not trying to fix that.

I guess she upgraded and so the cost of the old phone hadn't amortized yet (at all).

Thank you *so much* for all the suggestions. We will be getting her something cheap and new(er) than what she has, but it'll probably take a few weeks. I have appreciated this forum so much over the years

Feedback Score
    Not to mention that if the SD finally got in over her head and quit making the payments, your daughter would have ended up with a bricked blacklisted phone by surprise.

It's much better to be the one in charge.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if people here experience this issue but the most common issue I see with used iphones, the older ones I see on Ebay is that the fingerprint reader/home button doesn't work anymore. I guess on those phones you'd have to enter a code and Apple is always asking for verification which is why people like the newer ones with Face ID. My understanding is the button which also acts as a Home button can be replaced but that the fingerprint part of it won't work. I wonder if when these are refurbed for retail resale if the fingerprint works on them?

If you can handle a 4 inch display with the SE its a great deal for $59.99 as @hpham posted about at BestBuy.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Only with Verizon use does it need to be re-branded as a Tracfone. Tracfone only asks for the IMEI of a BYOP when activating with Verizon service. The IMEI will produce an alert that it was not sold as a Tracfone.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have both a Straight Talk SE bought new from Walmart and a new Factory unlocked iphone 6 that I bought on Ebay a year ago.

I put a BYOP ATT tracfone Sim in each phone. Both worked perfectly with no issues. The SE came with a Verizon sim card which I did not activate, and just keep in the box with the red activation card.

Sent from my SM-N910V using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1 View Post
    I have both a Straight Talk SE bought new from Walmart and a new Factory unlocked iphone 6 that I bought on Ebay a year ago.

I put a BYOP ATT tracfone Sim in each phone. Both worked perfectly with no issues. The SE came with a Verizon sim card which I did not activate, and just keep in the box with the red activation card.

Sent from my SM-N910V using HoFo mobile app
    Are they putting new glass on refurb phones like that? The SE goes back to March 2016 when did you buy that timeline wise? Good to hear no fingerprint reader issues that's one thing I was thinking about even on refurbs.

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Are they putting new glass on refurb phones like that? The SE goes back to March 2016 when did you buy that timeline wise? Good to hear no fingerprint reader issues that's one thing I was thinking about even on refurbs.

Thanks
    Bought the SE early 2018 and the iPhone 6 in Jan 2019. The 6 was new in a sealed Apple box. Don’t remember about the SE. I doubt they replace the glass for no reason but the SE was/is perfect.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The 6 was new in a sealed Apple box. Don’t remember about the SE.
    Your post before that said you bought the Straight Talk SE new at Walmart.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Apple is still selling the 8 and 8 Plus new online. They will likely stop those 'as new' sales when they release that smaller cheap iphone in March (the iphone 9?) rumored to be $399 new but they must sell off the stock to retailers who then sell as new for much less.

The 8 Plus is 549.99 when a new XR is 599.99. I figure both will be available as refurbs right from Apple late this year for $100 to $150 less maybe more.

I ordered the SE from BB, if I like the OS its refurb XR later on. All the bands, totally unlocked. Maybe I have a lot of peanut butter sandwiches that month, lol.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Your post before that said you bought the Straight Talk SE new at Walmart.
    Am pretty sure that I bought it new because the price was reasonable so no reason to get a refurb. Don’t even remember if they had refurbs. I am not at home so I can’t check the receipt.

Bought the 6 because it is still a size I can put in my purse/pocket. After that the phones are too big for my liking.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score

Bought the 6 because it is still a size I can put in my purse/pocket. After that the phones are too big for my liking.
    Its a popular size which is why they are coming out with the new smaller iphone, the 9 in March @4.7 inches.

The processors on those phones - the A9 on the 6 and SE are faster than the Snapdragon 845 which was top of the line for android in 2018 a year or two after they were released. Plus Apple says they will both be updated to ios 14 which is pretty good timeline for os updates about 4 years. So they're a great value.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Its a popular size which is why they are coming out with the new smaller iphone, the 9 in March @4.7 inches.
    Is that the same phone that they have been calling the SE2 ? My 6 is larger than the SE but still a manageable size. It will probably be too expensive for me anyway. Don’t think I have ever bought a high end phone when it was launched. Always get them a couple years later (at a lot lower price).

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Plus Apple says they will both be updated to ios 14 which is pretty good timeline for os updates about 4 years. So they're a great value.
    Actually I haven't seen reports that Apple says they will provide an additional year of updates. That kind of information usually isn't known until some time during the beta period of the new OS.

There was a rumor recently that they may. But they dropped OS support for the 6 last year.

I bought an SE a year ago for a backup line, so I would hope for at least another year but I can live with it if they don't
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I've never used an iPhone, but I had an iPod for a short time. I really hated Apple's "ecosystem" where they control everything. Unless things have changed, you can't even delete mp3 files directly from an iPod; you have to mark them for deletion then log into your Apple account and Apple system will remove the files from your iPod.
    Well, like I wrote earlier, I am willing to try out the Apple ecosystem again and wanted to test out sim swapping the all the TF carrier sims I have active. I bought the SE and it was delivered yesterday. It was DOA and would not charge. Tried out the charger/cable that came with the phone as well as other chargers/cables I had. After 6 hrs, the battery was still dead. So, returned it to BB and, after their tech guy tested it, they said they would exchange it. They didn't have any. They showed one in stock at another store 30 miles away, but they had no mechanism to do a store to store transfer. I called the other store and they said they could not find any. Online says they are not available online, only in store purchase. So I give. I just got a refund.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast